Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Yamato is go Options
Gandale
#21 Posted : 30 March 2013 13:14:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking really good Steve, planking looks the part... well done... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Yutaro HONMA
#22 Posted : 31 March 2013 00:56:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi SteveBigGrin
Your work on the planking is excellent!Woot Especially the last photo of stern’s hull is beautiful because the planks seem to be perfectly symmetrical.Scared
Best Regards,
Yutaro
DeAGOSTINI 1/250 the YAMATO, 1/250 the AKAGI.
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
sJD77
#23 Posted : 02 May 2013 12:36:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Firstly I would like to thank all for looking in, and the kind comments and advice.
Again been struggling for time to update, but still plodding along.
At present, I've got the deck plates on. Deviated from build instructions which say to
lay planks 1st, as have decided to have the edging which Mr T's build, and many other
members builds have. Stern plate only dry fitted for now until the required painting has
been done.

The majority of the last months work has been on the metal castings for the superstructure,
which has been quite a rewarding task.
The bulk of the structure has been built up, still un-painted until I am sure no more bits
to add.

The machine guns and anti aircraft guns have been made up, and along with their respective bases, have been painted.

The build instructions say to paint the guns, and the binoculars in kure grey.
I've decided to deviate by painting the guns in gun metal, and the binoculars in black.
The reasoning for this is I think it will add a bit more detail for the eye to pick up on, as I think these smaller pieces
will get lost in the grey if painted as the instructions state.
Next up to do is the ladder positioning on the bridge, broken printer so no template at moment Cursing
and sanding of hull, which I'm waiting for a delivery of spray putty to begin.
Thanks for looking in, and please feel free to comment. Regards, Steve.
Completed:Endeavour Longboat.
Collecting: Yamato
arpurchase
#24 Posted : 02 May 2013 21:49:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi sJD
looking good , be carefull of the ladder template it sometimes prints out too small and you will be sick of assembling machine guns before long
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#25 Posted : 02 May 2013 23:41:47

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice work there SJD.... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
SennaMentalMe
#26 Posted : 03 May 2013 00:09:09

Groups:

Nice work!! ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
sJD77
#27 Posted : 06 May 2013 15:19:50

Thanks to all for looking in, and your kind comments.
Just a quick update of the last few days work.
Have been concentrating on the stern area. Have painted up the hanger area, and attached the plate aftdeck.

The wooden aftdeck is dry fitted, and will be left off for ease of access for any future parts.

After plate aftdeck was attached, I went back to reference other builds, and I notice there is
some rails added in the hanger area. With hindsight, I wish I had left the plate off until these
parts were added as I think I may struggle for space with marking up and fitting.
The next piece I tackled was the angled pieces on the keel.
All fitted and sanded as instructions. Still a bit rough looking, and will be fine tuned when all hull spray puttied.

That's all for now as I seem to have caught up with supplies.
Will be tackling the sanding of the hull in the coming weeks, then will be planking the deck as in Mr T's build.
Keeping up with the metal parts as and when they arrive.
A question for anyone in the know. When would be the latest to start adding the etch upgrade by GMM.
Haven't purchased as yet, but don't want to find I've added something from kit parts, which has upgrade etch which
I then can't get access to attach.
Thanks for looking in, and please feel free to comment. Regards, Steve.
arpurchase
#28 Posted : 06 May 2013 18:31:24

BigGrin Hi sjD
Nice work on fitting the rear deck as there is affair amount of trimming on the etch to do in this area, as for the railings you mention the wire provided comes rolled up so its fairly hard to get it straight, that's why I used 1mm by half a mill plastic strip here and for the aircraft deck and degaussing strips, you also get a template later to form the lower hangar rails so you just use this to form them and use tweezers to place. I do wish they would scrap the wire and provide the Akagi degaussing parts as these are so much better.
I found the wood for the gussets just a little too hard so it made difficult sanding , a little bit softer would have helped here
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

sJD77
#29 Posted : 06 May 2013 21:45:23

Thanks Andy, and yes you're right, I was quite surprised with how much I had to trim off the etch plate
to get it to fit. I even had to double check I hadn't messed up the build.
I noticed you had swapped the wire for the plastic strip for the degaussing cable, and must admit I was planning
the same, but never noticed the swap with the hanger rails, but makes sense as your right about getting
the wire straight. Thanks for looking in, regards, Steve
bluedot0
#30 Posted : 22 May 2013 04:31:19

Hi Steve

She's coming along very well....
I look on your build with envious eyes, she hasn't come to our shores yet, she's one I would love to have, but maybe in time....I hope.

Phil
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

Building - Bismarck, Akagi, Warspite, Gato, USS Enterprise (carrier) and D51