Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Cannon wheel colour Options
andylangtree
#1 Posted : 02 May 2010 00:01:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

May i ask what colour of brown have people used for the cannon wheels, at the moment mine are black but looking at all the other builds brown/wood looks much better. Thanks in advance.
snowtiger
#2 Posted : 02 May 2010 02:51:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Andy i used citadels graveyard brown base colour...with a dry brush of graveyard brown/bleached bone ....highlight on the wheel edges is gb/bb...a lighter shade using more bleached bone....a similar effect can be done using enamels....BigGrin

John...

mavrickandgoose
#3 Posted : 02 May 2010 10:01:01

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

hi,
i just used the wood (walnut) brown, that came in the victory paint pack from cornwallmodel boats.
steve
dtgray
#4 Posted : 02 May 2010 11:36:36

I used the walnut brown too and it looks fine to me BigGrin Of course I'm colourblind so I have to rely on other to point out my colour matching errors LOL LOL
Regards,

David

andylangtree
#5 Posted : 02 May 2010 13:15:27

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks to all of you, will probably go with the brown that came with victory paint set.
jase
#6 Posted : 02 May 2010 13:49:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have used deck tan it is paleer than brown and more closly represents the bleached wood colour. i gave mine a brown wash after see first wooden ship build diary for results and actual cannon pics.

hope that helps
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
dedworthdog
#7 Posted : 05 May 2010 10:06:53

The official colour guide says the wheels are varnished, but I may be wrong HMS Victory colour guide
"Items to be varnished:
All Deck Pillars including those under Skid Beams in waist of ship. All Topmasts, Topgallant and Royal Masts, Jibboom and Flying Jibboom. All Studdingsail Booms fitted to yards, (and Studdingsail Yards if fitted for special effects) Binnacle, Skylight on Poop Deck, Gun Carriage Trucks (wheels). All Hatchways, Gratings, Shot Racks and Ladders etc. "

So I guess those using walnut from the paint pack are correct-ish as I believe the wheels are made from pineHuh
Follow my build to learn how to make firewood

Capt Stedders
#8 Posted : 05 May 2010 10:45:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Are we asking about the shade, highlights or mid-tones?

Generally speaking, I find it best to look at a photo of the real thing and try to match the colour.

The wheels of the gun carriages were made of wood (so, some shade of brown then), these would then become bleached-out, to a certain degree, by sun and whatever the crew used to swab the decks.

Jase (see his build diary) has gone for this more accurate 'weathered' appearance and it looks quite effective whilst I have chosen a darker, deeper, slightly redish brown with highlighted edges and shading since it looks nice.

If you want to get the nicest look, you have to stop thinking about colours being one dimensional - look at a pair of jeans for example, the material may have started out in a uniform indigo blue, but washing, being exposed to the sun and general wear and tear will have caused certain areas to become lighter - the deeper areas of the seams will still appear in the original colour, folds and creases are varying shades of blue as well.

There is a lot to think about - but it's worth getting your head around.

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

dedworthdog
#9 Posted : 05 May 2010 11:27:30

Also to consider is your model going to be "pristine" or "weathered" if one is going to "weather" a small, so to speak, detail like the wheels on the cannon would they look out of place if the decks, masts, and what ever else is in a "Pristine" condition? Where would you stop "weathering"? For instance if the wheels are weathered why not the barrel, with touches of wear and rust at various points, the sail showing signs of repair, thew paint work on the bow damaged where the anchors have hit the sides the list goes on. Doh my head hurts why can't life be simple? I think I am going to opt for a pristine model, much easierBigGrin
Follow my build to learn how to make firewood

yorkieboy1
#10 Posted : 05 May 2010 11:31:15

in reply to cannon wheel colour I have just been on the www.boatmodelling.com site and there are loads and loads of photos of H.M.S Victory which may be very useful .Well worth a look

snowtiger
#11 Posted : 05 May 2010 11:42:53

True dedworth....the list is endless...you could spend 2 years on the build and another 5 years on the paint job..Blink .i have opted for some paint (cannons,anchors,life boats outer, main hull outer and anything metal )...the rest natural...no it wont be 100 accurate but hey it's my build...i think it's a matter of being happy with the finished result...imho..BigGrin
Capt Stedders
#12 Posted : 05 May 2010 12:28:59

Snowtiger and Dedworth both have very valid points.

For the best effects, weathering and advanced painting techniques should be (from a logical point of view) applied over the whole model - which is fine if you plan on spending a vast number of extra build hours in addition to the already vast number of build hours that this model will take.

Simply by painting your model neatly and smoothly in 'flat colours' (eg, one shade of colour), will give you a very tidy looking model - you don't have to go to extremes.
Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

jonny7england
#13 Posted : 23 May 2010 16:04:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good afternoon shipmates, I would like to ask a favour please if anybody can help. I know that some of you have purchased a certain set of water based paints for the Victory build from an on line web site. I would like to buy the paints that I need from the model shop nearby which does water based paints, but I would like to know the exact colours and make of the paints if possible, that way I can purchase extra paint, if necessary as I go.
Much obliged..John BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
budgie
#14 Posted : 23 May 2010 16:27:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

jonny7england wrote:
Good afternoon shipmates, I would like to ask a favour please if anybody can help. I know that some of you have purchased a certain set of water based paints for the Victory build from an on line web site. I would like to buy the paints that I need from the model shop nearby which does water based paints, but I would like to know the exact colours and make of the paints if possible, that way I can purchase extra paint, if necessary as I go.
Much obliged..John BigGrin

take it u mean admiralty paints
yellow ochre no # on jar
dull black ap9105w
red ochre no # on jar
olive green ap9118w
matt metal black no # on jar
french blue ap9117w
matt white ap9111w
copper ap9126w
gold/brass ap9125w
wood walnut brown ap9119w
u can get a cross reference chart from model shops for humbrol revell tamiya equivalents but not admiralty
jonny7england
#15 Posted : 23 May 2010 20:28:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cheers Budgie, yes, that's what I meant mate thanks, I will print off your list and take it down to Anglia Model Centre tomorrow and get them to sort it out for me. Its just that if I wanted extra of a certain colour I can pick up the phone and collect it within the hour along with anything else that I may need? The missus reckons that I vertually live in the damn model shop as it is!! LOL LOL Thanks again...John
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
dtgray
#16 Posted : 23 May 2010 20:41:52

John,

Just to complete the missing part numbers on budgie's list:

Yellow Ochre = AP9115W
Red Ochre = AP9116W
Matt (Metal) Black = AP9106W
Regards,

David

jonny7england
#17 Posted : 23 May 2010 21:18:05

Thanks David, really appreciate it mate, I will add the numbers to the list and get the full list of paints to the model shop tomorrow, just finished building the jig today, I will begin my build of Victory in the coming days where I will post my own progress as others have been doing..thanks again David...John.ThumpUp