Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Building a Case Options
Zeptrader
#1 Posted : 29 May 2010 10:13:50

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

I'm at the stage where I need to build a case for my Bounty model, I thought it might be a good idea to post it here as this could be used for ideas when we need to build one for the Vitory, I know its still early days but still it could be of use.

I'm after keeping the cost down, I favour pexiglass instead of glass, weigth being the issue. I also need the abilty to get the ship out of the case safley so as to continue working on the rigging.
As for wood, anything cheap would do as I/we can stain, varnish ect most cheaper cuts.

So with your input maybe we could come up with ideas, I hope BigGrin

Mike Turpin
#2 Posted : 29 May 2010 10:38:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month
Groups: Registered

Morning Colin

My study has been invaded by all the surplus gear that I have moved home from my training centre which closed yesterday.

One item of furniture is a set of bookcase shelves which I have placed behind my work area. A thought that occurred to me is to place Halifax and Bounty on a couple of the shelves and then find some perspex to make a front for the shelves with some kind of quick release fastenings. Possibly even simple wing nuts would do.

Lacks the all round viewing that you might expect in a museum but being realistic I don't see the boss authorising the use of the living room coffee table for placing the final ships!

BTW - Looking forward to Turkey - Hope the Maclarens can maintain their advantage through qualifying.

Mike T
Zeptrader
#3 Posted : 29 May 2010 11:10:46

Morning too you Mike,
Thats an idea, for me placing the Bounty and when time comes the Victory will be a challenge.

Where to put the bookcase..ha

I'll look into that idea, need to get some measurement of the Bounty, we know the Victory will be a tad on the big side.

I agree on Turkey and the McLarens, just watched the 3rd practice and Hamilton and many other drivers are going off (wide) on turn 8, Hamiltons was a fast spin but managed to crawl back to the pit with both rear tyres defalted, he went back out an got fastest time, Red Bull then spoiled the party. Button was down in 6th I think.
Red Bull look good for a front row lock out with McLarens nipping at their heels, the race if a different matter.
Zeptrader
#4 Posted : 29 May 2010 11:22:28

This is what I would like to build.

But this one would work for the lack of space in my house, I have been talking about this for my front room.

Mike Turpin
#5 Posted : 29 May 2010 12:04:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Missed morning practice, Jensen was actually 8th according to the official standings on my iphone app. Just had a visitation from Ben to inspect progress on the pirate ship. Stuck the penultimate plank onto the launch (under supervision), otherwise no progress at all with construction this week.

I like the case with the folding door, OK if you have the room to swing it up. The case near a ceiling seems a bit of a permanent fixture. Presumably the shelf would have to come down to lift the case up over the ship. Ihe idea of the mirror back for the first one is worth considering. You could have the HMAV Bounty with the solid side towards the front and when you look in the mirror from different angles you get a glimpse of the interior fittings.

How much have you done to the interior as yet? Your photos seem to fight shy of that view at present.

Mike T
Zeptrader
#6 Posted : 29 May 2010 14:40:52

Ive not anything for the inside yet, but I have many many ideas thanks to everyone's input in the other thread.

Ive added your Launch PDF to the index Mike.

I may price up some wood this weekend, see what options are open to me.
Dontshootme
#7 Posted : 29 May 2010 15:00:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

If you go down the line of the perspex case there is a special silicone sealant used for making fish tanks that acts as glue/sealant...if it can withstand the pressure of water from a 5' tank then its good enough for a display case.You then have the option of trimming the corners with wood,aluminium or just leaving as it is....another idea would be to look around for a cheap fishtank of the right size & embellish that.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
karl1113
#8 Posted : 29 May 2010 15:57:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

somebody already put up this site on an other thread how to build your own.
http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/caseone.php
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/