Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What glues to use?? Options
snapdragon
#1 Posted : 15 May 2013 02:25:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Looking through the instructions I see that we have several glues mentioned.

Superglue Gel

Multipurpose Glue

White PVA

As Tom has already had hands on the armour, maybe he would tell us what he is using. I am asking in particular reference to the multipurpose glue.

Superglue Gel is no problem, White PVA is no problem but this multipurpose glue!!!

What are you using Tom?
Tomick
#2 Posted : 15 May 2013 09:20:22

Groups:

It really comes down to what you prefer to use for which part of the assembly, but in the main I have used superglue gel, PVA and also epoxy where there are large metal parts to secure. The general purpose reference is for something like 'UHU all purpose', but you might prefer to use a contact adhesive.

The most important thing with this build is to ensure that the lace ends are carefully prepared and made small enough to pass through such as tasset holes with ease, otherwise you'll be pulling your hair out very quickly.
Also make sure that you adequately protect the glossy parts from surface damage when working on them and during storage., most of the large sections have a self adhesive protective film, which where possible I have left in place or replaced after working on the items.

snapdragon
#3 Posted : 15 May 2013 10:44:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for the info Tomick

I too have been looking at ways of protecting the finish of metal parts and I think that I may use Tamiya yellow masking tape (excellent stuff, low tack) and paper.

My idea is to mask off and protect the tassets apart from the holes so that during handling there will be no scratches or fingerprints etc.

When my parts finally arrive I will do a test and report back. I am dusting off my Macro camera lens for this and also will be writing this up for an online model magazine!

I am looking forwards to this challenge as it introduces new skills for modellers - Threading lace, knot tying, sewing..... WOW! Blink

We have already allocated an area for this to be displayed, on a stand in the entrance to the house. OPen the front door and you have this scowling at you!!!!!!! Mellow
Tomick
#4 Posted : 15 May 2013 10:48:12

Groups:

It will indeed be an impressive model and you'll make lace ends in the authentic Samurai manner
court orchard
#5 Posted : 15 May 2013 11:11:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is why I was attracted to this as a Model Build, it's something completely different to anything I've ever built before, with, as you say, entirely new skills. It's also an introduction to a Culture and History that I'm not particularly familiar with and I find as I build a Model I become interested in the background, so I start researching and reading up about it.
So at the end I have a really nice model, some new skills/experience and a new knowledge set. Triple BonusBigGrin BigGrin
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,