Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Clear Coating the Display Body Options
#1 Posted : 22 May 2013 01:56:50

Groups: Registered

I know im jumping the gun but can someone advise if clear coating the wings and body with an acrylic gloss would destroy the decals?

The finish is a little Matt in some areas and generally disappointing.

The mere size of the finished display body would allow for several coats of clear and a good rub back and buff, the finish would look superb.

If not possible, could we buy spare decals, strip the paint, repaint and reapply decals? Tamiya now make a special metallic blue for Red Bull Models.
Aurum
#2 Posted : 22 May 2013 04:35:55

+1 I intend to do the same before final assembly. Spare decals would be good to have.
Tomick
#3 Posted : 22 May 2013 08:58:21

Groups:

It wont be possible to provide any of the decals which are pre-printed on parts, as these are paint printed rather than being decals.

However, any decals which are provided with each magazine can be purchased as a magazine back order.

If you are planning to clearcoat your static body, then an aqueous gloss coat is the type to use, as a solvent based gloss such as Tamiya TS-13 may cause problems later on.
You also need to consider that the additional self adhesive decals are a high gloss vinyl, which a clearcoat may not adhere onto very well, therefore you should test on some scrap decal material before tackling the real thing, or possibly think about applying the decals after you have clearcoated.

For some reason, the Tamiya TS-89 read bull pearl blue, appears to be a hard find in stock in the UK, and its also unsuitable for the polycarbonate 'racing' bodyshell.
PDyner
#4 Posted : 29 May 2013 22:37:29

Hi
For my RB7 I have used this:

I sprayed after I put all the stickers, and it nothing happened.

The damage on the small "tab" its my fault not a clear varnish.Cursing
Prem Dyner
petpole
#5 Posted : 30 May 2013 00:56:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Don't know if this would help you with your red bull.

http://www.hiroboy.com/c...ed+bull&x=0&y=0

This site can mix any colour and its already mixed for airbrushing.

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
Melkerri
#6 Posted : 04 June 2013 08:36:08

Hello everybody!!

Tomick,

Can you recommend some brand name's for the Aqueous Clear Coat that you've mentioned. I do agree that some solvent based paints/clear coat's do tend to discolour, yellow and crack decal's/sticker's over time so risky to use and I think that aqueous paint's are water based? but don't quote me on it. Maybe some other's could weigh in on this topic and shed some light?

RB7 ROX!!!

Regard's
Mel
Tomick
#7 Posted : 04 June 2013 09:00:24

Groups:

Mr Hobby B-501 gloss was the product recommended for the McLaren.

However, the additional decals of the RB7 differ to those provided with the McLaren.
The additional RB7 decals are self-adhesive vinyl which have a high gloss finish. Therefore it would be a good idea to test your choice of gloss on some scrap decal material, as may need to consider applying the self adhesive decals after you have glossed. The helmet decals are the waterslide type.
Melkerri
#8 Posted : 14 June 2013 06:43:41

Hello,

Thanks' Tomick, I ordered some of that 501 Gloss from eBay today and yeah I will try that on some scrap decal material first, let it sit for a month or two to see if it discolours etc., otherwise I'll just cover the decals/stickers that I have already placed down and spray around them. I'll inform if successful or not.

Best regard's,