Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Graeme's Zero build Options
pemberg
#1 Posted : 05 June 2013 18:39:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This is where I will be attempting my build diary of the Zero (my first build diary).

I intend to build this half clad and fully painted.

I have downloaded the first set of instructions and just received my blue aotake paints so now eagerly waiting for the first issue to arrive.

After looking through the various build diaries and the reference library posted by Kev I think I will paint the engine cylinders gunmetal like Jase has done on his Tamiya build. I will try it on the first cylinder and see how it looks, I can always re-spray black if it looks wrong.

Graeme
Warthog
#2 Posted : 05 June 2013 19:23:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Looking forward to seeing your build Graeme Cool There is certainly plenty of reference material out there to make this look stunning
SennaMentalMe
#3 Posted : 05 June 2013 21:12:39

Groups:

Hello Graeme,

Well done you for posting up a Zero build diary and I hope you enjoy it, this model looks like fun!! CoolThumpUp

I also subscribed to the Zero a couple of weeks ago and my first set of parts has arrived today!! I will also be doing a diary but may do some collecting of parts first?

Looking forward to your build, we definitely needed a few more Zeros on ModelSpace. What colour scheme will you be doing on the skinned half of your model?

Kev BigGrin
pemberg
#4 Posted : 05 June 2013 22:25:36

Hi Kev

I think I will be doing the 1-151 green colour scheme.

Look forward to seeing your build.

Graeme
pemberg
#5 Posted : 13 June 2013 14:40:56

Received my first set of parts today. Looks really good and the model will be larger than I imagined although the screws are really small.

I will probably wait for more parts befare starting to assemble the wing but will do some test spraying of the blue aotake on the rib number tags shortly.

Graeme
Tomick
#6 Posted : 13 June 2013 15:19:35

Groups:

Great to have another Zero build on the go Cool
dandare
#7 Posted : 14 June 2013 10:32:11

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi Graeme

looking forward to seeing another build coming along, this is a fantastic kit.

hope you enjoy it

regards

Dan
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
pemberg
#8 Posted : 17 June 2013 09:30:58

Decided not to wait for more parts and to get started on the prop.

Polished the blades using Brasso then gave them a good clean with acetone before giving them a coat of clear primer. Held the blade gently in a pair of vice grips, which I first put inside a surgical glove to stop them getting coated, to facilitate spraying.

I cleaned the spinner back plate with a wire brush on a rotary tool before giving it a coat of Tamiya fine metal primer as I am doing a fully painted version.

I also cleaned up the prop shaft, front and rear boss and glued the rear boss to the back plate with superglue gel after first removing the primer from the contact areas.

That was all I had time for yesterday as it was one of those rare good days up here and the garden needed some attention.Crying

Graeme

pemberg attached the following image(s):
P6150047.jpg
P6160048.jpg
P6160051.jpg
P6160050.jpg
SennaMentalMe
#9 Posted : 17 June 2013 12:55:38

Groups:

Nice start Graeme and I know exactly what you mean about being unable to wait for more parts? This is the type of model where you just want to get stuck in straightaway!!

Keep the updates coming! CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin

arpurchase
#10 Posted : 17 June 2013 21:48:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good GrehamCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

stut2
#11 Posted : 18 June 2013 08:49:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Graeme, nice start on the Zero and excellent job on the bladesCool
I have 2 questions, you have used acetone to clean the blades prior to priming do you know if a acetone based nail polish remover would do the same or would this not be pure enough? also could you give some info on your spray booth.
thanks
kind regards
Simon
pemberg
#12 Posted : 18 June 2013 10:04:09

Thanks for looking in guys and for your comments.

Simon, nail varnish remover used to be pure acetone but I believe they now use a less volitile mix which may not be suitable. You used to be able to buy small bottles of acetone from a chemist shop but not not sure if thats still the case. Iso propyl alcohol should do the job as well.

The spray booth can be found at

spray booth

but may be cheaper elsewhere.

It was a relatively inexpensive one which folds away when not in use. Works great with an airbrush but the filter can get dirty fairly quickly if spraying larger areas with rattle cans (especially priming and undercoating)although a lot of the residue can be removed from the filter with a hoover (with the permission of the wifeLaugh ).

Did a little more last night - put the prop together and started drilling the holes in the wing spars. The 0.7mm bit that came with the kit lasted one hole before it broke but luckily I had others to hand.

May not be posting much for the next few days as my father-in-law passed away last night so I will probably busy elsewhere.

File Attachment(s):
P6170053.JPG (4,027kb) downloaded 58 time(s).
P6170053.JPG
stut2
#13 Posted : 18 June 2013 10:16:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Greame
Thanks for the answers to my questions I will look these up.
I sorry to hear about your father-in-law, my condolences to yourself and your family at this difficult time.
Regards
Simon
pemberg
#14 Posted : 18 June 2013 11:08:39

Thanks Simon, much appreciated

Graeme
SennaMentalMe
#15 Posted : 18 June 2013 11:32:21

Groups:

Looking good Graeme - well done!!CoolThumpUp

My sincere condolences to you and your family, not the nicest thing when a close relative passes away - very sad.

Kev Sad

pemberg
#16 Posted : 18 June 2013 13:00:23

Thanks Kev for both comments, your right, not the best time.

Graeme
pemberg
#17 Posted : 22 June 2013 15:01:04

Hi folks, managed to get a bit more done. Wing assembly is complete up to stage 4.
The engine manifold has been cleaned up ready for priming and the crankcase has been glued to the connecting rod case and is ready for priming.
The two halves of the cylinder have been glued together and is ready for the seam to be filled and then primed.

Help - can anyone tell me how to get text between attached pics as I only seem to be able to get text then the attachments.Cursing
P6210061.JPG
P6210056.JPG
P6210057.JPG
P6210055.JPG
pemberg
#18 Posted : 10 September 2013 10:17:02

Sorry I have'nt posted any updates for a while - the product of an unusually good summer up here.

I have been keeping up to date with the build (up to the end of issue 4)but was leaving any painting until I had all the main engine parts.

I have completed all the cylinders and filled the seams with milliput and used a wire brush on a rotary tool to remove any excess filler.

I have just primed and test sprayed 5 cylinders with alclad gunmetal and I think they look ok.

P9080011.jpg
P9080008.jpg
dandare
#19 Posted : 10 September 2013 13:19:27

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi Graeme

"Help - can anyone tell me how to get text between attached pics as I only seem to be able to get text then the attachments"

you can write text between the photos either by adding a space between the insertion of photos and fill with txt, or the way i find best is to preview before posting and inserting the txt whilst looking at the preview

regards
dan
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
jase
#20 Posted : 10 September 2013 14:10:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

dandare wrote:
hi Graeme

"Help - can anyone tell me how to get text between attached pics as I only seem to be able to get text then the attachments"

you can write text between the photos either by adding a space between the insertion of photos and fill with txt, or the way i find best is to preview before posting and inserting the txt whilst looking at the preview

regards
dan

I think it depends on the method you use. I use the insert image icon on the tool bar and paste in the image from photobucket. you can write inbetwen the pics that way.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain