Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Trumpeter 1/32 Swordfish MkI Options
snapdragon
#1 Posted : 19 June 2013 22:14:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

These are pictures of my swordfish build.

The paint was done to represent an aircraft on the Taranto Raid in 1940 and so consisted of the RN Biplane Paint orders for 1940 which included shadow shading on the lower wings and the lower surface painted in black as in Admiralty painting order which allowed the undersurfaces of and aircraft engaged in night ops to be painted black, as the swordfish were for the Taranto Raid. All colours used are matched to original Admiralty colour chips.

On this picture you can see the difference in colours for the shadow shading. the lower wing is lighter than the upper wing. Paint colours match Admiralty/War office chips

THere you are chaps. I also have Trumpeters Swordfish Mk II in my stash and I intend to do that one in the Tropical Scheme that was used by the RN in the Pacific Theatre.

James
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 19 June 2013 22:27:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Absolutely beautiful Snapdragon! With all that lovely internal detail it's almost a shame sticking the two fuselage halves together!
Very well done indeed. Cool Cool Cool

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
alantait
#3 Posted : 19 June 2013 22:32:49

wow James, just goes to show what a real modeller can do with an airfix kit, mine always look like they are glued together and i cannot get a paint finish like thisBigGrin
current builds

victory,endeavour,thermoplye,constitution
SennaMentalMe
#4 Posted : 19 June 2013 23:12:27

Groups:

Nice job James, a very neat build and I agree with Robin, shame to hide all that lovely detail?! Thanks for taking the time to show it. CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
jase
#5 Posted : 19 June 2013 23:24:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stunning build ThumpUp you just need a 1/32 Bismarck for it to have a pop atLaugh
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
snapdragon
#6 Posted : 20 June 2013 12:00:53

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for the comments chaps

Actually this is Trumpeteters 1/32 Swordfish MK1. To try and get the canvas covering effect I actually brush painted the entire model so to get light and dark areas of the same paint colour and to try and give the uneven effect of material.

Paint used on this kit was Vallejo Model colour and the paints used are within 5% of the original chip colour which is close enough for both originality and scale.

The kit did come with clear fuselage sides....

I tend not to like this kind of thing though.

I do have Hachette's 1/200 Bismarck in my stash (hull frame built) but a 1/32 Bismarck...... nowhere to put that thing!!!!! LOL

If anyone would like me to post my paint research for RN aircraft then just let me know

James