Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tamiya's Imperial Japanese Fighter Pilot 1/16 Options
arpurchase
#1 Posted : 25 June 2013 17:48:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi All
On Amazon there are still a few of Tamiya's Japanese navy fighter pilots available if the resin one Mr T found is beyond your pockets

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...mp;keywords=tamiya+1+16

And if anyone fancy's the army pilot version[the green painted zero] then look here for it, this one is holding a Samurai sword so probably more suited for a Kamikazi model

http://compare.ebay.co.u...62531_281231&UA=%3F*I%3F&GUID=1cf91cfb13f0a56c86861606fefed4ac&mt_id=635&query=%7Bquery%7D&fitem=390591657423&linkin_id=8051094&kw=%7Bquery%7D&sortbid=9&crdt=0&ff4=262531_281231

There are 13 navy left and around 10 army so be fast
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

SennaMentalMe
#2 Posted : 25 June 2013 22:48:34

Groups:

Hello Andy,

I have that kit and the two sites that you show are selling one and the same item? By which I mean they aren't separately dedicated IJN or IJA figures, they are one and the same (both IJN)? The kit comes with two optional poses one with the arms folded, holding a pair of flying gloves and one with arms by the side holding the Japanese 'Katana' sword? Just thought I'd mention it in case there was any confusion for others and as far as I'm aware, Tamiya don't have a dedicated IJ Army Pilot figure in their catalogue?

An interesting note for you is that the green scheme on the Zero doesn't necessarily denote an IJ Army aircraft. Yes, the Army aircraft were sometimes solid green sometimes mottled, and sometimes something quite different depending on the squadron or 'Kokutai' and where they were based? To confuse things even more the IJ Navy ALSO had green aircraft, some of which flew from carriers, and strangely some were land based EVEN though they were registered and operated by the IJN!! Definitely confusing and often a little weirdly structured is this Japanese WWII Aviation?! Blink Confused Huh

Kev BigGrin
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 25 June 2013 23:59:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Kev
I didn't know that they were the same kit so thanks for pointing it out as it gives a good choice for both versions of the fighter as for the paint jobs on army and navy zero types I was well aware that both used green and the 'ash grey' type paint . I was just trying to simplify things for builders doing the navy grey or the army green versions.
This also brings up the so called light/ash grey type paint jobs as my investigations have brought to light that it was more of a pale olive green that over time broke down to look like a caramel colour which in black and white pictures looks like the light grey we all know and are all aware of . The colour has been verified from wrecks and surviving aircraft by matching paint chips which all have the same colour , this brings another quandary to what is the correct colour the light grey or the light olive green/ caramel. I just wonder why snap has not mentioned anything about this colour as he claimed he has access to paint chips from the period so it should have come to light or is he withholding the info if he has it
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#4 Posted : 26 June 2013 01:18:04

BigGrin Hi All
Further investigations have brought to light that the zero had the Aotake finish internaly and that their was also an outer surface preservative finish called 'Nisu' this was a varnish type liquid which when applied over silver dope could give a golden hue to the finish.
This preservative first came into use in 1939 so could have been applied to zero's over the light olive green base colour. From what I have read this 'Nisu' coating would darken with age and exposure to the elements and has been described as like varnish that has been applied too thickly and folds and creases as it dries and takes on that caramel/dark gold/light brown type colour. I think this may be the culprit for the darkening of the light olive green finish that the zero had
regards
AndyCool

SennaMentalMe
#5 Posted : 26 June 2013 16:20:07

Groups:

An interesting couple of posts Andy, thanks for that. CoolThumpUp

In my reference book collection for this build I have a copy of 'Modelling the Mitsubishi A6M Zero' from the Osprey Modelling series of books, which has a colour chart in the back and which is supposed to be accurate for the correct colours on a model and it states that the 'Grey/Green' main airframe colour is indeed a sort of caramel colour and that it is believed to be due to a lacquer preservative that was applied on top of the main paint colour, which verifies what you say above? Which to me suggests that the correct colour for modelling can be EITHER the darker caramel colour OR the more usual paler olive/grey colour and depends on whether you are modelling a Zero as fresh out of the factory with (caramel) preservative intact or a well weathered machine which has been bleached to the lighter grey colour by the aggressive Pacific sunshine, so I suppose that they could both be correct? Interestingly the book says that the caramel colour was originally referred to as 'Ame-Iro' or 'Hairyokushoku', but later being referred to as 'Tsuchi-Iro'?

Also interesting to note is that the canvas covered moveable surfaces on the 'Tsuchi-Iro' (caramel) coloured aircraft were a slightly darker 'Slate Grey' colour (still having a brownish hue)?

Kev BigGrin

arpurchase
#6 Posted : 26 June 2013 18:24:02

BigGrin Hi Kev
the aircraft grade aluminium used on the Zero and from what I can gather most types of Japanese aircraft from this era was not anodised so without a coat of paint /seal the aluminium surfaces would very quickly start to detteriate.
The 'NISU' name type was the Mitsubishi's factory name for this sealant but this again throws up another quandary as the Army and Japanese navy both had different names for the same sealant so 3 different names for the same thing.
Another reason that the seal was applied so thickly is because it was used as a leveller to fill rivet holes and other panel lines to make the aircraft more aerodynamic in flight. You mention that the control surfaces are darker In colour than the wings say I suspect this is because these surfaces were fabric covered and the use of dope, coloured or otherwise would tend to dry darker in colour
more to ponder upon I think
regards
AndyCool

SennaMentalMe
#7 Posted : 26 June 2013 21:14:29

Groups:

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Kev
the aircraft grade aluminium used on the Zero and from what I can gather most types of Japanese aircraft from this era was not anodised so without a coat of paint /seal the aluminium surfaces would very quickly start to detteriate.
The 'NISU' name type was the Mitsubishi's factory name for this sealant but this again throws up another quandary as the Army and Japanese navy both had different names for the same sealant so 3 different names for the same thing.
Another reason that the seal was applied so thickly is because it was used as a leveller to fill rivet holes and other panel lines to make the aircraft more aerodynamic in flight. You mention that the control surfaces are darker In colour than the wings say I suspect this is because these surfaces were fabric covered and the use of dope, coloured or otherwise would tend to dry darker in colour
more to ponder upon I think
regards
AndyCool

Hello Andy, interesting that you say there were at least three different names for the same sealant and I'm thinking that's where the different names for the caramel colour that I mentioned are coming from - maybe? Re the darker colour to the control surfaces due to them being doped, you are absolutely right and that is what I meant when I was talking about them being a darker 'Slate Grey' in colour, compared to the rest of the airframe? I just didn't explain it very well, but what I should have said was that on a model (not the real aircraft) they should be painted Slate Grey to replicate exactly the effect that you mention.

I don't know about you Andy, but this is a side of modelling that I really enjoy? The modelmaking bit is fun of course, but when making a model, if you really care about it being right, then you are actually forced by the model subject to seek reference for it and by doing that you learn so much about the subject you are modelling? Knowledge is a marvellous thing and SOOO interesting don't you think?

I really must buy a new anorak, my old one is fast wearing out!! Blink Blink LOL LOL

Kev BigGrin

arpurchase
#8 Posted : 26 June 2013 22:04:07

BigGrin Hi Kev
I totally agree m8 delving in and finding out facts brings the model more 'to life'shall we say and sometimes there are fascinating facts and storys to be found. For instance the 4 part narrative by a Japanese dive bomber pilot called 'Kanbaku war notes' makes interesting reading ,here's the link again there is so much info on this site its astounding you just need to delve

http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/otherres.htm

regards
AndyCool

PS im on my 4th anorack LOL Laugh LOL Blink Drool LOL