Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The stand Options
snapdragon
#1 Posted : 13 July 2013 14:36:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

When I downloaded the build thingy for pack 3 I noted that the first part of the stand was in there.

When the mutinous and muttering postman had finally dragged the package across the gravel drive and went on his merry way I opened the pack and fetched my dad.

previously not knowing what the stand would look like until it arrived we had discussed the possibility of getting some oak and copying the stand on his machines (my dad's woodshop looks like Norm's on the New Yankee Workshop) followed by sanding, staining and varnishing.

After we had both looked carefully at the parts still in the blister pack we both agreed that there was some very nice grain and maybe a quick sand with some very fine wet and dry followed by some light stain and varnish to bring the grain out would make the stand look just as good as the armour.

What does everyone else think? what do other builders want to do with their stand?

James
Tomick
#2 Posted : 13 July 2013 15:50:39

Groups:

"previously not knowing what the stand would look like until it arrived"

Old age must be setting in Snap, I posted a while ago what the completed stand looked like which you acknowledged LOL

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=6863
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 13 July 2013 16:34:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

LOL LOL LOL ooooopsLOL LOL LOL LOL
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

snapdragon
#4 Posted : 13 July 2013 20:06:53

DOH!

Wub

I must try and remember more things - But the more things I remember the more I forget!!

Needless to say, I must try and remember what the hell I am doing!

I still think that a coat of varnish or a light stain and varnish would bring the grain out a treat and protect the wood as well as making it not just s atand but a part of the model itself!

Thanks for the reminder Mr T! BigGrin
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 14 July 2013 01:16:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi James
In bushido or the way of the samurai the armour worn by the samurai had special powers that would protect the wearer from harm this included the polishing and repair of all lacquered metal surfaces and the replacement of all silk ribbons after any major battle with the appropriate holy man to bless the armour for its next conflict.
The stand for all armours was required to be as plain as possible either a black or clear liqueur , the reason for this is superstition namely that overly ornate or grand armour stand would over time draw out the armour owners life essence, respect and luck from the armour and cause the wearers demise in battle.
I agree that the base and stand parts so far supplied are of a superior quality with an excellent finish that will take a minimum of preparation to achieve a finish of worth. My preference for a finish on my parts will be a clear laqueur as this will bring out the grain and look of this very nice wood which I don't think is pine just from its weight.
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

snapdragon
#6 Posted : 14 July 2013 01:56:24

I agree that a clear varnish just to bring out the grain of the wood is just the right thing. I agree that it is not pine. Doesn't smell of pine and too heavy.

Maybe Maple or spruce?
Dontshootme
#7 Posted : 14 July 2013 09:04:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Have you considered the possibility that it is rubberwood,quite a dense,light coloured wood that doesn't really need any treatment just a rub down with really fine WD paper if required.Not doing the build so can only go by the pics....but that is what it looks like to me.Next time you are in Wilkinson or supermarket look at the range of wooden kitchen items ie breadbins,they are usually rubberwood.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
court orchard
#8 Posted : 14 July 2013 11:19:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Rob, that was my first thought when I looked at it, Rubber wood.
As Andy says traditional stands were very plain and a quick Google shows that this stand is a very good representation of the real thing. A rub down and a coat of varnish, job done.
My only criticism is that my 2 uprights are distinctly different shades, one reddish and one greyish, but this will be hidden under the armour.
Also as an aside, my pack had been opened, whether to put something in, take something out or to swap something, I have no ideaConfused

Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
snapdragon
#9 Posted : 14 July 2013 21:45:47

probably checking that they've put the right stuff in! My pack had just a single bit of tape across it.