Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages 123>»
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
johncal
#1 Posted : 03 April 2013 01:44:20

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

New to the forum but wanted to show you some progress. I've been thinking about posting for a while, but I was actually trying to avoid it for a while as I can get myself distracted.

This is actually my first wood build although I've done a lot of plastic kits in the past. I really was a fan of the movie and that's what got me going. I chose the AL kit, since I was new to it and didn't want to try a scratch build. Unfortunately it didn't turn out that way. I found it wasn't all that bad and I really wanted this build to look as much like the movie version as possible.

To this point I have around 460 hours into it and am quite happy with the results to this point. There a are quite a few unique things I think I've done and wanted to share them in the event it might give somebody some hints on what they might want to do (or avoid)!

I will try to answer any questions I can but what I REALLY want to do is thank everyone on this site for posting their work. I got a tremendous amount of inspiration from looking at everyone else's builds and I really like how encouraging you guys are with each other.

petpole
#2 Posted : 03 April 2013 01:52:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent build there john, you have done a really good job on her.
Keep up the good work.

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
moriarty
#3 Posted : 03 April 2013 01:55:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A very nice version of the ship. It looks like you have got the lights in it also, excellant workCool Love
HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
johncal
#4 Posted : 03 April 2013 04:39:31

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks, I bought flickering yellow candle LED's so they all flicker independently. Then I ground them down and made them look like little lanterns. The wiring runs to two all thread rod posts through the bottom of the keel, so one post carries positive and the other negative. I drilled out the base posts, so not only is the ship powered through the posts but I now have totally hidden wiring and a very strong way to mount the ship to the eventual case. I'll post some pictures later.
johncal
#5 Posted : 03 April 2013 04:42:29

Also, the wiring you see on the deck will be disguised as rigging and will run to the lanterns on the fore and main masts. The stern lantern lights as well. I drilled out the bottoms of the lanterns and installed 1/8" brass tubing to run the wiring through.
johncal
#6 Posted : 20 May 2013 04:12:47

Guys, the craziest thing ever happened to me. My wife took me on a mystery trip for our anniversary. She took me to the US Naval Academy Model Ship Museum.

http://www.usna.edu/Museum/rogers.htm

She thought they had "some model ships". As it turns out they have the second largest period ship collection after the Royal Navy museum in England. I saw over 50 of the best model ships that were ever built. Most built within 2-3 years of the actual ships. It was crazy!

Now here's the best part. I was going down to the gift shop in the basement of the museum and noticed a window to their model building / restoring department. I was telling my wife how absolutely cool it looked, and this guy hanging around in the hall says to me " do you want to go in and have a look around"? I almost crapped my pants. The guy "Jack" heads up the restoration and building dept. He gave me a tour of their shop and personally talked to me for well over an hour. I told him I was building the Surprise and asked him all about rigging since I want to do it perfectly.

He showed me a HENRY CULVER model they were restoring and showed me all the tricks and tips of how he rigged it. In his opinion, no one has ever had a better technique and method..... and now I know how he did it. I am definitely going to make my own ropes, etc now. I couldn't possibly do less.

What was really encouraging to me is that after looking at all the ships there I determined this:

1. The vast majority of the ships that are there are way better than I could ever hope to build.

2. My build is no better than any of the ones at the museum.

3. There are a few ships there that are no better than mine in terms of quality or detail. That final point made me feel super happy since it is the second most world famous display of period ships out there. My perseverance is paying off slowly but surely.

Jack asked for my e-mail and is going to send me some additional tips and info to do this right. If I have a guy that restores and works on ships valued at up to 2 million dollars helping me out, how can you go wrong. To actually touch a HENRY CARVER model is beyond my wildest dream. To touch a piece of history like that is just amazing.

Jack also told me that with the limited records and blueprints available on a lot of these builds that they do (as well as restorations), that a lot of poetic license is used since there basically is no choice. They do massive amounts of research, but at the end of the day when you've exhausted every avenue of research, you have to make some educated guesses. So don't worry, your guess could be just as good as anybody's on the Surprise.

I am super excited now to build the crap out of this thing as perfectly as possible even more so than before. Also, some of these restorations take years, so don't get discouraged or rush anything. Only work at the speed to do it right! My head's still spinning.... WOW!
johncal
#7 Posted : 21 July 2013 19:59:38

It was getting a bit quiet around here so I though I'd throw some new progress photos up. They're just cellphone pictures so not great quality. It's something though. I just have to add the "seats of ease" and then I'm officially ready to begin rigging. I will be making my own ropes so this might take a year or 2.

Dontshootme
#8 Posted : 21 July 2013 21:26:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

From what I can see it looks very good,but could you possibly edit them down in size to around 600x450 please so thatwe don't have to scroll for hours,,,quite easy to do in photobucket just save over original & you dont even have to change the links.Thanks
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
jase
#9 Posted : 21 July 2013 21:49:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

really nice Drool Cool shame the kit figurehead is so poor though
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Dontshootme
#10 Posted : 22 July 2013 07:59:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks for the resize.
Looks really good from where i'm sittingThumpUp
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
johncal
#11 Posted : 23 July 2013 02:55:48

Here's more. Since the last time I took these pics, I painted the figurehead brass. It needed to match the stern nameplate. Also, on the movie version of the ship, the figurehead and stern nameplate are actually brass colored before they corrode. Verified with Museum pics. Also, put the "seats of ease in today. Rigging is next.

It's been fun modifying the crap out of the original model. So far,I've spent a ton of money but I'm happy with the results so far. With installing the seats of ease,I'm officially done with the hull and will now move on to masts and rigging. I'll post a few more pics soon. 561 hours so far.....

Also, If you link over to my photobucket page, you'll se some of the plastic kits I've built.

Glen
#12 Posted : 23 July 2013 12:37:36

Fantastic looking build JohncalDrool BigGrin
Roger the Cabin Boy
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 23 July 2013 18:28:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin she's a beutCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Tomick
#14 Posted : 23 July 2013 20:59:34

Groups:

Nice work John and keep the photos coming Cool
Gandale
#15 Posted : 23 July 2013 23:12:20

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks superb John, credit to you....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
MWG
#16 Posted : 24 July 2013 10:05:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A really good build, nice detailBigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

johncal
#17 Posted : 07 August 2013 04:31:59

Right now I'm working on the Fighting Tops and the masts. Fortunately for me the Movie Version of the ship used disguised steel tubes for the lower masts, so mine are round all the way up to the flats at the fighting tops. it sure makes it a lot easier to do. Also, there are no reinforcements extra massive at the fighting tops or on the lower masts like the kit shows. It looks a lot cleaner and also a lot more accurate as well. Strangely, most of the other real historical frigates I've seen look nothing like the way the kit tells you to build it. (Why, am I not surprised). No matter I'm following the movie version anyways.

More pics soon!
moriarty
#18 Posted : 08 August 2013 22:03:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Supberb work on the hull, Quite impressive, very good indeed Love Cool BigGrin
HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
johncal
#19 Posted : 22 October 2013 01:47:27

No new pics, but I am just about finished with raising the masts. I'm at the topmasts now and everything is turning out great. The biggest issue I have is that the kit directions suck. Nothing like the movie version I'm building, but I'm getting by using a ton of online pics and some Kentucky Windage.

Anyways, I just had an unrelated tip that I really wanted to share. Personally on this build I am using nothing but Testors Model Master Enamel paints as I wanted something as close to the types of paints that would have really been used back in the day. I know there are some great acrylics, etc., but I really wanted an oil based enamel. Also, I wanted to only brush paint because I wanted something that would look more authentic - and it does! Anyways, the issue is that if you don't use the paints for a long time it can be basically impossible to get the bottles open once the paint has cured on the bottle and cap threads. Also, sometimes you get air leaks that dry out the paint.

What I do to solve the problem easily and 100% of the time is to use gas pipe tape. It's a yellow Teflon tape used for doping gas pipes. I just put a couple of wraps around the threads on the glass and close it up. It seals up air leaks and absolutely prevents the caps from seizing up on the bottles.
karl1113
#20 Posted : 22 October 2013 13:02:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

a lovely ship and very useful tip,thanks.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/