Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Review of DeAgostini's McLaren MP4/23 Options
Warthog
#1 Posted : 30 August 2013 21:10:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

First of all let me introduce myself..

My Name is Spencer and I have been making models since the age of 6 when i used to sit and watch my Father make Airfix Kits.. (pretty much what was available at the time in the very early 70's) So my experience with model making to some may say "Extensive" but I can assure you there are many more experienced members on this Forum than I ever hope to be.

I will have a go at just about anything out there that needs paint and glue and will try just about any technique to make my Models as "Real" as I can possibly do (at some great expence at times!)

I have done Aviation, Ships, Helicopters, SciFi, armour and cars but one of my favourites has to be F1. This goes back to the days of watching the TV (once again with my father) and loving the speed and danger of the race.. I have done a few big 1:12th Scale Tamiya Kits but they just where not big enough!

SO.....

When I first discovered that DeAgostini would be releasing a 1/8th Scale Model kit of what I can only say is one of the best looking F1 cars from the 2008 F1 season (IMO) and driven by the best British racing driver we have seen since the days of Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell, (IMO) well.. I was lets just say a “tad” excited about being able to get my hands on what for many could have only been a pipe dream..

When I say “a pipe dream” I meant by being able to afford something in this scale and under License from McLaren them selves and also being able to spread the cost over 85 weeks was something I and others could not ignore.

So on the week of release I got myself down to the local newsagents to pick up the first issue containing 90% of the front wing components. On opening, I was very pleased to see that the level of detail was exceptional and all the parts are pre-painted, this is how the list of parts continued throughout so that even a novice builder of this McLaren should have no problems as long as they followed the very informative and illustrated step by step guides that come with each issue.

The kit as a whole is built up using ABS plastic for the body and metal parts for the suspension and engine components. All this is put together using the screws provided and ABS glue (sold separately) to give you the feeling your actually building an F1 car. (Yes, even they use glue)

I found all these parts manufactured to a very high standard and once again pre-painted ready to build. The suspension is put together with little screws and can be quite tricky for those with shaky hands but once you have mastered one side then the rest should not provide you with any problems.

The tires are made from rubber and the wheels are metal, once again giving weight and quality to the McLaren MP4/23. Details such as the break discs and calipers are all there as are cooling intakes and airflow diffusers.

The Engine and gearbox is a masterful creation once complete. The level of detail and the weight of it give’s you the feeling you are building and holding something that oozes quality. There is a lot of scope for the seasoned modeler who wishes to expand his/her talents and add extra detail if they so wish but it is certainly not necessary.

The main body comprises of everything you would see in a Formula One racing car (if your lucky to get that close) with full harness and driver’s seat, steering wheel and pedals. Cockpit detail is outstanding and gives that realism that so many models lack.

The Silver finish is the best I have seen on a pre-painted model and with the sponsor livery already on the main body, makes the job that much easier. Nice vibrant colors and crisp clean lines really make the car stand out and once the remaining decals have been put on you can then see this model come to life.

So to sum up this build, I would say that I, like many others who have subscribed to the McLaren MP4/23 can say that this truly is an exceptional Model Kit and relatively easy to build depending on your skill level. The finish quality of the parts has set a new precedent for others to follow and I certainly have had months of joy building a few of these and congratulate Kyosho and DeAgostini for an exceptional model and look forward to future releases.

Thank you all for spending time to read my review..

Spencer

Warthog attached the following image(s):
P1018127.jpg