Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
The Scrameth's Build Diary (1st Timer!) Up to launch stage 4 or 5? Options
thescrameth
#21 Posted : 16 June 2010 00:56:39

Groups: registriert, Registered

LAUNCH BUILD:

Decided to use half width planks after viewing the great work done by stedders. Took me ages but it was a good practise before we tackle victory herself.

Now onto the painting.
thescrameth
#22 Posted : 16 June 2010 01:06:06

PAINTING THE LAUNCH:

After viewing this great forum, i noticed the pictures put on of the launch as it stands now, thank god i did. The magazine instructions got the bading width wrong. the yellow is narrower than the black. why do they post wrong instructions when every detail counts?

A Few little touch-ups are needed, but the lines and colour divisions are crisp and clear.

Started on the interior planks, going to paint in situe rather than before i glued them in, i feel i can achieve a better finish this way.

willz
#23 Posted : 16 June 2010 01:20:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

thats up there with the best of em, very well done.
Zeptrader
#24 Posted : 16 June 2010 07:15:31

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

That does look smart and clean, well doneBigGrin
jase
#25 Posted : 16 June 2010 08:19:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

i think the thinner planking really makes a differance to the inside. very nice paint job and your line depth looks spot on. Cool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Capt Stedders
#26 Posted : 16 June 2010 10:13:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Some pretty trick filing there.

Cool

I notice that you have lowered the height of the formers - without taking chunks out of the planking - colour me impressed!

Have a..

What tool did you use for that delicate task? (I initially thought that some exceedingly deft, not to mention scarily risky, dremel work was involved - but need to have that confirmed... *scratches head* )

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Mike Turpin
#27 Posted : 16 June 2010 11:53:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Hi there beginning to think you had left us!

I am most impressed with your launch build, I'm a black stripe behind you at the moment!

Spent some time researching what would be the best colour scheme and I noticed the as you did that if you follow the magazine it is not the same as the pictures of the launch down at Portsmouth. So I have painted my yellow to the same point as you and am now ready to add the black to about the same.

Following on from there, the official HMS Victory website colour scheme suggests varnished thwarts and sternsheets, so I think I will do them in a dark oak and also I don't like the idea of the bottom boards being white, so I will varnish them as well.

Mike T
thescrameth
#28 Posted : 16 June 2010 12:03:20

HI STEDDERS, JUST USED AN ORDINARY FILE. THE FORMERS DO REACH THE TOP OF THE PLANKING JUST FILED THE ANGLE SO NOTHING PERTRUDES OUT OF THE TOP. BUT A DREMMEL WOULD TAKE A STEADY HAND INDEED (I DONT HAVE THE BOTTLE FOR THAT ONE)
thescrameth
#29 Posted : 16 June 2010 12:07:31

Mike Turpin wrote:
Hi there beginning to think you had left us!

I am most impressed with your launch build, I'm a black stripe behind you at the moment!

Spent some time researching what would be the best colour scheme and I noticed the as you did that if you follow the magazine it is not the same as the pictures of the launch down at Portsmouth. So I have painted my yellow to the same point as you and am now ready to add the black to about the same.

Following on from there, the official HMS Victory website colour scheme suggests varnished thwarts and sternsheets, so I think I will do them in a dark oak and also I don't like the idea of the bottom boards being white, so I will varnish them as well.

Mike T

Its a good job the forum is as good as it is. iv'e also noticed on the pics of the "real" launch the sternsheets appear to be painted all in black, more research will be neede i feel before i committ either way. Thanks for your kind comments, and i look forward to seeing your progress.