Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Remote Engine Kit For The Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero Options
arpurchase
#1 Posted : 14 September 2013 13:55:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi All
This kit was first offered as an optional extra to Japanese builders of the DeAgostini 1/16 Zero and now we have the opportunity to get one here. The Sakea [ 栄 Prosperity ] aircraft engine was a 14 cylinder aircooled and supercharged radial based on the GnomeRhone 14K design, built and redesigned under licence in Japan it could run reliably on a very lean setting giving the Zero its impresive range. There are various links already to the engine already in the Libary section but i have added the link to the history of the Nakajima Company below

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/a...ane/museum/index-E.html

The kit arrives in a standard cardboard box with a plastic insert holding all the components and protecting them from damage,there are a full set of instructions but in Japanese but these will be translated very shortly.
Major components are the main engine body with sound box and genuine Sakae engine sound, propelor, remote,wiring loom, cooling gill parts and finally some decals.
The main engine and propelor come in a grey plastic with a nicely moulded and detailed 14 cylinder Sakae engine with the parts to fit the ignition wires and spark plugs also the cooling gills and muffler shrouds are of an etch type metal, lastly is the green remote control box with batterys.
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
th (1).jpg
th (2).jpg
th (3).jpg
th.jpg
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#2 Posted : 14 September 2013 14:05:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

In conclusion a very nicely packaged and moulded engine set with all the parts nessesary to make an impressive Sakae radial engine with sound and remote that will add that little extra to any Zero build making it an almost must have item. On a side note the original cast engine included with the Zero partwork set can still be built and displayed next to the finished model.
Here are a few links to the working engine on U-Tube

http://www.youtube.com/w...?v=4tkJ5Lg16rE&lr=1
and
http://www.youtube.com/w...?v=5yx1iQss3OQ&lr=1
regards
AndyCool
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
ZE1.JPG
ZE2.JPG
ZE3.JPG
ZE4.JPG
ZE5.JPG
ZE6.JPG
ZE7.JPG
ZE8.JPG
ZE9.JPG
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Warthog
#3 Posted : 14 September 2013 15:39:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Excellent Review Andy Cool It will be interesting to see if the original metal Prop can be fitted to the Remote engine?

Spence
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 14 September 2013 16:11:45

BigGrin Hi Warty
The rear propellor casting on the Zero part work is of solid construction/casting, it possibly could be drilled out but i have the feeling that if its not drilled straight it would cause the prop to spin out of balance and this would soon destroy any bearings in the electric motor. Nice idea though
AndyCool

Warthog
#5 Posted : 14 September 2013 16:51:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very valid and good point Andy!
SennaMentalMe
#6 Posted : 14 September 2013 18:23:42

Groups:

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Warty
The rear propellor casting on the Zero part work is of solid construction/casting, it possibly could be drilled out but i have the feeling that if its not drilled straight it would cause the prop to spin out of balance and this would soon destroy any bearings in the electric motor. Nice idea though
AndyCool

There is a very simple tool that the R/C aircraft boys use called a 'prop balancer', which costs around £15-£20 last time I looked and does exactly what it says? You could drill a hole in the back of the metal casting as near to centre as you can make it and then just gradually remove a little material opposite any heavy areas until it is perfectly balanced and that would negate any chance of damaging the motor bearings? Just a thought and maybe worth a try .... but don't blame me if you don't get it spot on and end up wrecking your motor!!

The prop balancers can usually be found in the ads in RCM&E magazine or similar or any good R/C model shop?

Kev BigGrin
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 14 September 2013 18:40:54

BigGrin Hi SMM
That is true about the prop balancer i have one myself, but i think the problem will be in reshaping the metal blades and this could involve losing the original shape of the blades due to the amount of metal that may need removing
regards
AndyCool

SennaMentalMe
#8 Posted : 14 September 2013 18:53:45

Groups:

Very true Andy and I had considered that myself, but I was thinking along the lines of might it not be possible to remove material (using a drill and removing small amounts at a time) from the back of the propeller boss and towards the outermost edges of its' diameter instead and that way you could retain the blades' shape? Mind you, who's to say that the metal blades are perfectly equal in weight and shape to start with anyway since they would have been sanded and polished individually before assembly, which likely means that no two blades would be the same anyway, so it would be difficult to know where to start really wouldn't it, unless you balanced it all up BEFORE drilling any hole and then rebalanced it after? There is also the increased centrifugal force to consider because of the large weight increase of metal over plastic, which might put a lot more strain on the bearings anyway, even if it was perfectly balanced? Most likely why DeAg have used a perfectly moulded blades/boss assembly in the first place because they could foresee such balance problems in the design stage!?

Probably best just to stick with the proper plastic unit but to use the metal parts is not impossible, just very expensive if it goes wrong and don't forget there is only a limited number of these available if you should need a replacement?

Interesting stuff though nonetheless? CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 14 September 2013 19:12:12

BigGrin Hi Kev
I totally agree with what you say all i know is that the prop,s used by the R/C boys all come from moulds that are very accurately produced to try and get balanced propellors straight from the mould but all it takes is a little more resin in one part of the mix to throw all this out.
I have the feeling the moulds used in the Zero production were just made to give the right shape without any thought to balance or aerodynamics as they were never intended to go under power and can then lead to what you say yourself balance problems
regards
Andy Cool

SennaMentalMe
#10 Posted : 14 September 2013 19:28:26

Groups:

I agree with you 100% Andy and especially what you say about the plastic prop not being under any load as in having to drag the model into the sky, plus it likely weighs very little anyway so balance is not really critical, whereas the metal prop is a whole different ball game!!

I only know if it was me, I wouldn't even consider trying to balance what is initally a (quite) roughly cast metal prop in the first place given the fact that even after achieving perfect balance, if it was at all possible, if it did still somehow all go wrong, who wants to have something of that weight and size come whizzing off at heaven knows how many r.p.m and go smashing into the TV or even worse!! Blink Scared Crying

Thinking sideways, if you were fitting the plastic motor/engine moulding to the model with the intention of displaying the original metal engine alongside in some sort of cradle (why not?), it would look pretty naff if you had this beautiful 'static' metal engine with an awful plastic prop attached? No, I say better to fit the plastic prop to the aircraft, as DeAg intended and then have a nicely polished metal prop to compliment the metal engine displayed alongside the aircraft?

Nice debate Andy and Spence - thanks!! ThumpUpBigGrin

Kev BigGrin
Warthog
#11 Posted : 14 September 2013 19:37:37

As the late great Micheal Jackson once sang.. " yah wanna be starting something"

It's a good debate and I did'nt intend it to deviate from Andy's supperb Review but it also answers many questions that a lot of people would possibly attemp to do or at least think of doing so hopefully this will be of great use to everyone.. It certainly answered my question guy's!! BigGrin
Warthog
#12 Posted : 14 September 2013 19:39:25

SennaMentalMe wrote:
who wants to have something of that weight and size come whizzing off at heaven knows how many r.p.m and go smashing into the TV or even worse!!

I'll get the missus to test it for me then LOL LOL LOL
SennaMentalMe
#13 Posted : 14 September 2013 19:44:09

Groups:

Quite right Spencer, mustn't deviate too much off topic since it is a very nice and informative review that Andy has put up - well done Andy - though as you say, the debate has likely answered any questions that others might have had so useful to say the least!! ThumpUp

Probably also cut down on the prospective numbers of visitors to A&E Departments across the country as well!! LOL LOL Blink

Kev BigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#14 Posted : 14 September 2013 19:45:49

Groups:

Warthog wrote:
SennaMentalMe wrote:
who wants to have something of that weight and size come whizzing off at heaven knows how many r.p.m and go smashing into the TV or even worse!!

I'll get the missus to test it for me then LOL LOL LOL

LOL LOL LOL LOL Glare Blink BigGrin
arpurchase
#15 Posted : 14 September 2013 19:51:58

BigGrin Hi All
Most r/c boys just regard prop's as prop's 'oh it broke put on another' but years ago in a R/C magazine there was an artical about the science of producing these items and the amount of work that goes into the moulds and quality control of such items, it certainly was an eye opener.
Spence you didnt start anything just got a couple of people talking that like you say has answered a miriad of questions that could pop up
Thanks
AndyCool

SennaMentalMe
#16 Posted : 14 September 2013 19:57:13

Groups:

Andy, I have added the link in your opening post - referring to the Nakajima Development site - into the Zero Library in case it gets lost? I've put it in the 'History & Development' section.

Hope that is OK?

Kev BigGrin
Tomick
#17 Posted : 14 September 2013 20:29:15

Groups:

The plastic prop assembly on the operable engine is in fact an intended safety feature. There is a lot more weight behind the cast metal version should it strike the probing fingers of a nephew Crying
karl1113
#18 Posted : 14 September 2013 20:48:46

now there's an idea, sharpen those blades up.shooooooooosh don't tell snap.LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
arpurchase
#19 Posted : 14 September 2013 20:54:36

BigGrin Hi Kev Thats fine m8Cool