Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

San Francisco ll kit review Options
jase
#1 Posted : 27 September 2013 21:17:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

The San Francisco II was one of the heavily armed and much feared galleons which fought in and survived the Spanish Armada. This 1:90 scale kit is a faithful replica brought together from good quality materials. The kit can be purchased out right or as a 4 or 8 part subscription (see link)
http://www.model-space.c...ships/san-francisco-ii/
The completed model is 68cm long and 52cm high and given a difficulty rating of 2 out of 5.

My review is of the 8 part subscription to which I have 6 of the 8.

Instructions
The instructions come as downloadable sets to accompany each delivery along with a downloadable document around the history of the events and times. the format is clear and easy with full colour step by step instructions. The running order of the parts has recently changed and my instructions had not caught up with the changes, but this was a minor issue.

There is also a late set of plans for the masts, rigging and deck fittings which is to scale for the masts.

The Wood

The model is single planked in hardwood, there is a wide verity of woods used to add subtle contrasts to the finished ship. Its all good quality and well cut with no bowing and plenty is supplied to do the job with spare for those little mishaps. In addition to the large amount of strip there are a number of laser cut parts. most of these are used to form the frames and deck base along with the upper bulwarks. there are some dark wood laser cut parts also.

There is quite a number of other wood parts from rigging blocks to ladders which have recentl changed the metal ladders that used to me suppled.

Metal Parts

There is a huge array of metal parts and they are all very nicely cast. Doors, windows and gunports are all metal. the armoury is all very nicely cast with some loverly brass cannons. ther is also some wire supplied for the rigging and fitting the cannons to the carriages etc

[imghttp://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/jase1970_2010/IMG_7879.jpg][/img]

So far i have really enjoyed building this kit and would certainly recommend it its very rewarding and looks and feels much more expensive than it actually is.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
stevie_o
#2 Posted : 27 September 2013 21:39:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Jase,
I like the look of this kit - it also looks to me that its designed to be built in natural wood? Id love to do a natural build at some stage, just not sure my planking skills are up to it!
Steve
jase
#3 Posted : 28 September 2013 02:18:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

stevie_o wrote:
Hi Jase,
I like the look of this kit - it also looks to me that its designed to be built in natural wood? Id love to do a natural build at some stage, just not sure my planking skills are up to it!
Steve

Hi Steve, your right natural wood is the intended look. I am finding it easier to plank than the Victory, for a start there is no bending required for the stern and the hard wood is easier to work with than the base wood. The technique is the same so you can use the step by step victory instructions as a guid. but she is stunning and once started very difficult to put down.

There is nothing stopping you painting the lower hull, however
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
karl1113
#4 Posted : 28 September 2013 16:52:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

yes steve I endorse all that jase has said,it's a classic spanish galleon
and well worth a look.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/