Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

To paint or not to paint Options
mark 2
#1 Posted : 24 May 2013 23:12:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone BigGrin .
I am not sure at the moment whether to paint or not so i would like to ask a couple of questions like if i painted the loco would i need matt black or a semi-gloss black also if i kept it in its raw state would i be able to use Brasso to bring up the shine with gentle rubbing.
Thanks for any help or advise.
Best regards to all.
Mark

Tomick
#2 Posted : 24 May 2013 23:27:21

Groups:

Hi Mark, its personal choice, matt or semi-gloss black, personally I would go semi, and use an etch primer.

If you plan to polish, then you'll need to consider sealing with a clear metal primer and matt or semi-gloss topcoat, otherwise you'll be polishing every few months to hold off the tarnish, where eventually some of the brass plated parts may start to show the silver base metal colour.
mark 2
#3 Posted : 25 May 2013 03:25:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Mr T BigGrin .
Thanks for the help and great advise Cool .
Best regards.
Mark
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 25 May 2013 10:38:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Mark
Beware when using etch primers they are generaly cellulose based and are very volatile and should be used in a well ventilated space or with an air line resperator spray system if used indoors. The fumes can do serious damage to lungs so beware
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

mark 2
#5 Posted : 27 May 2013 07:38:35

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Mark
Beware when using etch primers they are generaly cellulose based and are very volatile and should be used in a well ventilated space or with an air line resperator spray system if used indoors. The fumes can do serious d amage to lungs so beware
regards
AndyCool

Hi Andy.
Thanks for the advice Cool .
Would there be any need to key the Brass or is it a case of spraying it on ( spray outside ).
Sorry for all the questions but i have never used this type of primer before Blushing .
Thanks for all the advice.
Best regards.
Mark
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 27 May 2013 09:33:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Mrk
np about the questions, with an etch primer there is no need to key the surface as it literally etches itself to the part being sprayed, as for doing it outside a shed or garage with the door open may be a better option to stop wind bound dust ruining your spray job. Another idea may be to get the largest cardboard box u can, cut off the top and one of the sides and you will have a disposable spraying area. Hope this helps
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

steviecav
#7 Posted : 28 May 2013 15:36:53

I fear I might be about to take the prize for dumbest question on this forum but I am new to model building and I have signed up to do the D51 and I hadn't considered having to paint the train. Anyway, may question is (no laughing) if I am going to paint the train should I be painting any parts before it is assembled? Or should I fully assemble it and paint it at the end? I'm hoping that I enjoy this project enough to warrant my getting the correct tools together and as such should I be buying an airbrush compressor kit? Any advice would be much appreciated.
jase
#8 Posted : 28 May 2013 17:51:19

steviecav wrote:
I fear I might be about to take the prize for dumbest question on this forum but I am new to model building and I have signed up to do the D51 and I hadn't considered having to paint the train. Anyway, may question is (no laughing) if I am going to paint the train should I be painting any parts before it is assembled? Or should I fully assemble it and paint it at the end? I'm hoping that I enjoy this project enough to warrant my getting the correct tools together and as such should I be buying an airbrush compressor kit? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi, Not a daft question at all.BigGrin Everybody does it a bit different I personally like to paint individual parts before assembly unless that make up a sub assembly that is all the same colour. An airbrush will defiantly give you a better finish but its a lot of messing and takes a lot of practice. you could consider spray paints a bit more expensive perhaps but a lot simpler to use especially if your a beginner. I believe Andypurchase and Karl111 are both painting the D51 so have a look at their build diaries for some guidance.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Nemesis
#9 Posted : 28 May 2013 18:37:27

I will be painting mine too. I will be using an airbrush and I will paint as I go, and as Jase said, if there is a block to paint the same colour, I will wait and do it in one assembly.BigGrin
Tomick
#10 Posted : 28 May 2013 20:00:55

Groups:

Railmatch do a specific range of loco paints and weathering finishes
Pilgrim
#11 Posted : 29 May 2013 12:13:08

I am changing my mind all the time about whether to paint or leave it as the brass. Clearly for the purest making a representation of the actual train then painting is a must but I then worry that it may just look like a plastic kit, albeit a £900 one! When I showed the photo's to the boss she went straight for the 'shiny' one so I think I'm now edging towards the unpainted version ,or am I?

My indecision is final.
SennaMentalMe
#12 Posted : 29 May 2013 12:19:29

Groups:

Hi Pilgrim,

You could always split it down the middle and leave one side in brass and paint the other side - that way you could see the engineering of the model in brass/steel and the painted side would show what it looked like in reality? I think even if painted, it won't look like a plastic kit and you could always keep a photo album of the build to show interested guests how it was built?

Kev BigGrin
Trotsky
#13 Posted : 29 May 2013 12:31:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Pilgrim ...I am almost certain you have made the correct decision and I think I agree with you.
H.M.S Victory
H.M.S Victory X Section
H.M.S Surprise under the bench
D-51
steviecav
#14 Posted : 30 May 2013 13:19:14

If I was to leave it unpainted and it became tarnished I suppose I could paint it then.
ubc9000xlt
#15 Posted : 29 September 2013 01:02:43

@Mr T,

My brother and I are thinking of subscribing to the D51 as it looks great!

We would probably be looking at using Kev's suggestion and painting one side...

A concern we have though is that looking at the info pack, it specifically states:

"This amazingly detailed 1:24 scale model is mainly constructed from solid brass, with white-metal die-castings".

In your reply to Mark however, you mention "eventually some of the brass plated parts may start to show the silver base metal colour".

I am concerned that the information contained in the info pack is misleading if the parts are not in fact solid brass (other than the white-metal die-castings).

Are you able to confirm whether the parts are brass plated or solid brass?

Feeling confused Confused
arpurchase
#16 Posted : 29 September 2013 01:49:12

BigGrin Hi ubc9000xlt
To answer your question the majority of parts are solid or cast brass but some parts are brass plated white metal, if your going for the half brass and half painted version then I would recomend using a good laquer on the brass side as this will stop any tarnishing and should help keep all the parts a good brass colour. Of course keeping the handling down to a minimum will also help preserve the plated parts.
As you have probably noticed I too am doing this build and would recomend it on its shear quality of parts and ease of construction with a minimum of preparation. Everyone who has subscribed to this build has comented on how impressed they are with the parts. Hope this answers your question
regards
AndyCool

ubc9000xlt
#17 Posted : 29 September 2013 04:23:46

BigGrin Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

You have answered our question perfectly, thank you.

Yes, we were blown away by the quality of the parts, just by looking at the photos that various people have posted! Yes I had noticed you are building this and I will keep an eye on your build diary!Cool

I think the lacquer idea is a good one and maybe we should invest in some of those white cotton gloves so we don't get too many fingerprints over the brass. Not sure if they will impede construction though, LOL

We have just put in our subscription order, so we can't wait for the first dispatch to arrive!

Kind regards,
Gerry
Trotsky
#18 Posted : 29 September 2013 09:06:22

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

G,Day Gerry...Dave C ex Redwood Park...I subscribe to this build and like you am unsure about painting...I have just received the 5th consignment but have not started constructing yet...but I can say the quality is very high and the finished article will with some care be fantastic ...never done anything like this with brass so am looking to others for help The Boss Mr T and Andy are safe hands ...look forward to following your build...

Dave C (Team Crow Eaters) in exile
H.M.S Victory
H.M.S Victory X Section
H.M.S Surprise under the bench
D-51
Tomick
#19 Posted : 29 September 2013 10:33:53

Groups:

ubc9000xlt wrote:
@Mr T,

My brother and I are thinking of subscribing to the D51 as it looks great!

We would probably be looking at using Kev's suggestion and painting one side...

A concern we have though is that looking at the info pack, it specifically states:

"This amazingly detailed 1:24 scale model is mainly constructed from solid brass, with white-metal die-castings".

In your reply to Mark however, you mention "eventually some of the brass plated parts may start to show the silver base metal colour".

I am concerned that the information contained in the info pack is misleading if the parts are not in fact solid brass (other than the white-metal die-castings).

Are you able to confirm whether the parts are brass plated or solid brass?

Feeling confused Confused

What I said was a precaution during the preparation of some of the parts, which in some instances are brass plated, which if excessively polished, or an abrasive polish is used, the underlying metal may start to show through.

Within the series, there are instructions for painting and applying a clear coat to protect a brass finish, so there should not be any requirement to brass polish thereafter.

The model being solid brass does not refer to the entirity of the model. Such as the chassis, wheels and most of the running gear is diecast metal or metal plate. Much of what you see as brass is solid brass, but there is also an element of brass plated items, which is for mass production purposes.