Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

My wheel has come off Options
mikey
#1 Posted : 06 October 2013 20:56:59

Groups: Registered

Hi guys i need a bit of advice, Picked up my train wheels today off the bench and ended up with just the wheel in my hand, I can glue it back on but the position will be critical & i am not sure of the best way to do it, looking at the shaft it has splines most of the way and the wheel is smooth & slightly tapered when i fit the wheel on i only feel resistance 1mm from the end of travel, Any advice would be most welcome.

Regards Mike.
Current Build`s

Sovereign of the sea`s
HMS Victory x section
D51 Locomotive
Spitfire
Harley Davidson Fat Boy
Mantua titanic
jase
#2 Posted : 06 October 2013 21:03:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mike, Are these the first set of wheels that come pre assembled?

You are correct the alignment of the wheels will be critical. i would leave them off or lose for now until they get connected into the build then you can fix them while your aligning things.

could you post a pic so we can understand your issue more fully

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 06 October 2013 21:45:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Mike
It sounds like a faulty part get in touch with customer services for a replacement
Regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

mikey
#4 Posted : 06 October 2013 22:16:24

Hi Jase, Thanks for the quick response, Yes it is the first set of wheels, I have tried to upload a photo never done it before so hope it works.

Regards Mike
Current Build`s

Sovereign of the sea`s
HMS Victory x section
D51 Locomotive
Spitfire
Harley Davidson Fat Boy
Mantua titanic
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 06 October 2013 22:26:14

BigGrin Hi Mikey
Try resizing your pic to 600 by 400 pixels and it should post fine
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

mikey
#6 Posted : 06 October 2013 22:30:38

Hi Andy,Thanks for your advice i will give them a ring see what they say, I am enjoying reading your build diary your paint job is first class it convinced me to buy an air brush and have a go myself.

Regards Mike
Current Build`s

Sovereign of the sea`s
HMS Victory x section
D51 Locomotive
Spitfire
Harley Davidson Fat Boy
Mantua titanic
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 06 October 2013 22:35:23

BigGrin Hi Mikey
Yh its busted another thing you could try is using steel rods to line up the hoes and glueing maybe and thanks for the kind words just remember with an airbrush the more you use it the better you will get
regards
AndyCool

mikey
#8 Posted : 08 October 2013 23:16:23

Phoned customer service and told them about the wheel coming off they said no problem will send replacementBigGrin so i took the opportunity to practise painting the wheel, Thanks for the advice guys and a big thank you to Deagostini.
Current Build`s

Sovereign of the sea`s
HMS Victory x section
D51 Locomotive
Spitfire
Harley Davidson Fat Boy
Mantua titanic
Warthog
#9 Posted : 09 October 2013 18:37:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Looking good Mikey and glad to see you have your part sortedCool
mikey
#10 Posted : 09 October 2013 22:13:16

Thanks warthog I am really enjoying this build, Thanks to this forum I can now paint with an airbrush and thanks to Dennis`s article on soldering I can now solder with a blow torch.

Regards Mike
Current Build`s

Sovereign of the sea`s
HMS Victory x section
D51 Locomotive
Spitfire
Harley Davidson Fat Boy
Mantua titanic
arpurchase
#11 Posted : 10 October 2013 17:37:14

BigGrin Hi Mikey
That's why were here to help you get the most out of your modelling experiences
regards
AndyCool

Dennis
#12 Posted : 11 October 2013 11:15:28

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Mike,
I am pleased that my post on soldering has been helpful. I have many different wattage soldering irons but a demonstration and explanation at a Wigan Model Railway Show some years back taught me so much.
The secret is to cut small lengths of solder wire and lay in the joint once fluxed, when working on larger items (greater heat sink). Gradually heating with the flame has the solder running along and in the joint.
cheers
Dennis
mikey
#13 Posted : 11 October 2013 22:37:51

Hi Dennis Thanks for the advice,I was having a problem getting the hinges to stay in place on the smoke box door but are now soldered & permanent.

Regards Mike
Current Build`s

Sovereign of the sea`s
HMS Victory x section
D51 Locomotive
Spitfire
Harley Davidson Fat Boy
Mantua titanic
jase
#14 Posted : 12 October 2013 04:38:18

Hi Mike, glad you got sorted. the paint job on your wheels looks really goodLove You should put a build diary up mate

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Dennis
#15 Posted : 12 October 2013 10:55:21

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

mikey wrote:
Hi Dennis Thanks for the advice,I was having a problem getting the hinges to stay in place on the smoke box door but are now soldered & permanent.

Regards Mike

Hi Mike,
The extensive use of brass really does lend itself to soldering - well done.
regards
Dennis
mikey
#16 Posted : 12 October 2013 21:02:27

Hi Jase thanks for the kind comments, I used Andy's choice on the paint `Rail match weathered black`and polished the the rest of the wheel with Micro Mesh, I have to say I am very happy with the result.

Regards Mike
Current Build`s

Sovereign of the sea`s
HMS Victory x section
D51 Locomotive
Spitfire
Harley Davidson Fat Boy
Mantua titanic