Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Carronade re-visited -- Leeds Build Options
Mike Turpin
#1 Posted : 04 June 2010 13:00:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month
Groups: Registered

I decided last week that having completed the initial planking for the launch, I would go back and look at the carronade. I have read a lot about the destructive force of the 'smashers' particularly if they were fired into the enememy's stern and the ball travelled the length of the gun deck doing unimaginable amounts of evil to the French or Spanish crew. (Known as Raking the enemy)

The pictures of the carronades on Victory show a mean looking barrel poised low on its carriage ready to discharge the 68 pdr ball across the dockyard. (OK I can't help being a romantic.)

Looking at the carronade kit that we received the effect is somewhat spoilt by two factors: The brass swivel connecting the carriage to the large lug under the barrel and the oversize trucks under the rear of the carriage.

On the real thing both the carriage and barrel are lying almost horizontal with the rear of the barrel resting on the chock which is the wedge shaped block on top of the carriage.

Comparing various builds that have been posted, the one that stands out as most successful must be Capt Stedders Carronade walkthrough pdf

This is my version of the carronade build:

I decided that I wanted to reduce the size of the lug as far as possible. I drilled a new hole as close as I dared to the barrel and slightly larger than the original.

I then inserted a length of the thick wire supplied with the kit and glued it into place. The next job was to file down the lug until I reached the wire.
Almost there in this picture:

I then used a piece of wood, actually some planking from another kit to represent the trunnion bearing on the carriage. I had bought some spare brass trunnion caps when I had been doing the 12pdr cannon, so I used two of these with one end cut off to secure the carronade trunnion to the bearing.

When painted matt metallic black the various components appear to be part of one bearing.

I next looked at the wooden trucks which were much too large. My solution was to cut a short piece from some thin brass tube, again from another kit, and stick it into a small bracket made from some brass strip which I had previously bought as stock.

The various iron rings for attaching the gun tackle were added using the photos linked from one of Zeptraders posts Carronade
Looking at the photos, the breeching ring is not fixed directly into the carriage, instead it fits into a hole in a metal bracket on the side of the carriage.

The brackets were made from more of the brass strip and all the components painted before final assembly. I also added the ring on the pommelion for the breeching rope which is missing from the model kit:

The tackle rings were added to the carriage and the chock stuck in position.

This photo shows the slot in the sliding bed which allowed the gun to recoil.

The final couple of photos show the carronade positioned on its deck block and ready to be stored until there is a forecastle to mount it on!

Not a perfect job by any means, it lacks the sophistication of Capt Stedders but the overall effect of a low brooding monster has been achieved in my view.

Now it's back to the launch or possibly I might get the anchor done before the next issues arrive, assuming they went out this week.

Mike T

Zeptrader
#2 Posted : 04 June 2010 18:56:26

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Excellent Mike, another bit of scratching, we like scratching here, and it does look mean.
dtgray
#3 Posted : 04 June 2010 20:44:31

Very nice work Mike, well done BigGrin
Regards,

David

andylangtree
#4 Posted : 04 June 2010 20:49:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent, looks very neat and tidy.
cliffweld
#5 Posted : 06 June 2010 15:26:42

Nice work Mike,i think i'll have to revisit my carronade and make some improvements but unfortunately i'm stuck on a boat for another 4 weeks work so it will have to wait til i get home,cheers cliff.
CURRENT BUILDS
HMS HALIFAX
HMS BOUNTY
LYDIA EVA(STEAM DRIFTER)
MANTUA COASTAL CANON
COREL VICTORY CROSS SECTION
TAMIYA 1/35 MATILDA MK 2
HACHETTE TIGER TANK
DRAGON 1/35 TIGER TANK
Mike Turpin
#6 Posted : 06 June 2010 15:53:20

Stuck on a boat? What job do you do Cliff? sounds like you will have more maritime experience than a lot of us put together!

Mike T
cliffweld
#7 Posted : 07 June 2010 00:53:40

I'm a rigger/welder on a dive support vessel,i've worked with steel all my life so thats why i enjoy working on wooden models it makes a pleasant change from steel.
CURRENT BUILDS
HMS HALIFAX
HMS BOUNTY
LYDIA EVA(STEAM DRIFTER)
MANTUA COASTAL CANON
COREL VICTORY CROSS SECTION
TAMIYA 1/35 MATILDA MK 2
HACHETTE TIGER TANK
DRAGON 1/35 TIGER TANK
jase
#8 Posted : 07 June 2010 18:59:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

very very nice job my friend. Totally agree the kit sits way to high I am going to attempt a different build idea when we get the second kit. Like the finished look great jobBigGrin
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Boaz
#9 Posted : 23 June 2010 04:14:29

Hi Mike.
How do I get my hands on some spair trunnion caps?
Bob
Mike Turpin
#10 Posted : 23 June 2010 09:16:43

Boaz wrote:
Hi Mike.
How do I get my hands on some spair trunnion caps?
Bob

The answer is easy!! Drool Go to Cornwall Model Boats brass bridges

They will also deliver in a couple of days. (Just wondering when we can start getting a commission from them -- Everybody is recommending them! Confused )

Regards

Mike T
Boaz
#11 Posted : 23 June 2010 19:56:12

Nice one.
Thanks mike.
Sorry but another question.
I note from the forum that the guys say the carronade blocks are to big.
I gather you get them from the same place. But what size would I be asking for?
Thanks again
Bob
Mike Turpin
#12 Posted : 23 June 2010 23:21:01

I haven't thought about the gun tackles yet, there will be plenty of time to decide that when we have a ship ready to install the guns.

Somebody else might have looked into this already. I think one post suggested using those supplied and just round them off with some sand paper, which will give them better shape and reduce the size.

Mike T
kas
#13 Posted : 24 June 2010 22:24:17

Nice work Mike, regarding the tackle blocks, i ordered myself some 2mm walnut tackle blocks from our trusted Kernow suppliers and think these would do just the job.
rigging blocks
karl1113
#14 Posted : 24 June 2010 22:39:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

kas,a little tip when handling these 2mm. blocks(very small)you have an old pair of nose pliers file the tips right down to a fine point,that way you can handle them.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/