Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages <1234>»
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
Foz
#21 Posted : 22 October 2013 15:57:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

A really stunning build and loads of great detail. Keep up the great work.

Regards

Foz
birdaj2
#22 Posted : 22 October 2013 21:40:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

John

What a stunning build.

Your paintwork is excellent.

Thanks for sharing and best wishes for the rest of your build.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
johncal
#23 Posted : 02 November 2013 23:24:53

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Here's an updated pic with the masts installed. (Just crappy cell phone pics). They are just about perfectly straight. It was a lot to get them that way, but if you don't start out good, it won't end up good. Since this pic I installed the blocks on the fore topmast and permanently installed that. I'll post some more pictures once I get the shrouds rolling.

The "reversed" backstays you see in the picture are actually steel 3/64" aircraft cables that I used as power lines for the LED's in the lanterns. Then the LED and power wiring were soldered directly to them. After which I painted flat black. They look exactly like ropes.

BTW, I ran 6-32 hardened all thread rods through the bottom of the hull and drilled out the mounting posts so they can slip over the rods. The front post is now used for +12 volts and the back post is ground. Inside the hull are individual resistors mounted on a hand made P C Board for running power to each individual LED. There are 15 LED's in all they each have built in flickering circuitry so they flicker independently. Very realistic looking in a darkened room. No visible wiring and the threaded rod makes the mounting of the ship to the base incredibly strong and secure. No worries about that breaking loose. The threaded rods are actually wood glued into the drilled holes. The bottom nuts are just there so I don't lose them. The tricky part was drilling the 1/8" holes in the 6mm wood keel. There's only a 1/32" of an inch left on either side. No room for error there.

Warthog
#24 Posted : 02 November 2013 23:53:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Beautiful work John. Absolutely stunning Drool

Spence
Gandale
#25 Posted : 02 November 2013 23:53:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Quality work there John, very well done she really is looking fab....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
johncal
#26 Posted : 09 November 2013 21:05:10

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just a little bit of an update. Got these finished today. They are modeled after the movie version (of course).

jase
#27 Posted : 09 November 2013 22:51:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Loving this build, it does look fantastic.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#28 Posted : 09 November 2013 22:52:03

BigGrin Top work there sirCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

johncal
#29 Posted : 27 November 2013 03:05:04

Just a small update on the shrouds, etc. I just have to finish lashing the stiffeners in the other 5 locations. Making your own rope is definitely the ticket.

jase
#30 Posted : 27 November 2013 07:41:43

Looks absolutely bang on, good job Cool

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
tf64
#31 Posted : 27 November 2013 08:44:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello Johncal,
Excellent work keep sending in pictures love the detail great job.
Regards Trev.
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

petpole
#32 Posted : 27 November 2013 12:07:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent build as usual Johncal, attention to detail is great, you must have watched he film 20 times now LOL .
Keep up the great work.

Peter.

Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
stevie_o
#33 Posted : 27 November 2013 14:29:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

johncal
#34 Posted : 27 November 2013 18:20:45

I use an outdoor polyester thread which has a sheen to it. Other that winding it on the rope walk there is nothing else that needs to be done. It is a bit touchy to work with because its slippery, but theres no fuzz so no waxing necessary. Its just that every knot MUST have a drop of C A glue or it will unknot.

Onthe plus side it is instantly ready to use once wound and it is virtually unbreakabke. It is massively strong. I touch up all the glued knots with flat black paint to give it that tarred look.
johncal
#35 Posted : 27 November 2013 18:26:09

petpole wrote:
Excellent build as usual Johncal, attention to detail is great, you must have watched he film 20 times now LOL .
Keep up the great work.

Peter.

I would say thats actually about right. Also tons of internet photos and tons of research books.
Tomick
#36 Posted : 27 November 2013 19:22:21

Groups:

Nice work John Cool
johncal
#37 Posted : 17 January 2014 00:42:22

Time for a little bit of an update. I've got just about all of the lower standing rigging complete. All shrouds, ratlines, stays. backstays and some of the bowsprit, etc. I will be finishing the futtock shrouds as soon as I get the hooks in that I ordered all of the futtock staves are already in there just waiting.... Next up will be all of the topmast standing rigging. just carefully working my way up. So far everything is aligned about as perfectly as possible. It's actually a lot of fun to do since you get to learn and do exactly what was done on a Tall Ship!

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

stevie_o
#38 Posted : 17 January 2014 11:31:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

johncal
#39 Posted : 17 January 2014 23:49:12

stevie_o wrote:
Looks absolutely perfect, I love the droop in the ratlines too, very realistic.
Steve

That's the advantage to winding your own rope, especially if you use the right kind of thread. It responds much more naturally and realistically!

Thanks so much for your kind words.
Gandale
#40 Posted : 17 January 2014 23:52:32

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful work and have to say am very impressed with the rope work... Will be giving that some thought for my builds.... Love Love all credit to you...

Regards

Alan