Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Can science fiction ever get the science right? Options
jase
#1 Posted : 15 October 2013 08:21:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

New film Gravity promises to rekindle the debate over how "hard" - or accurate - science fiction should be. Should film-makers adhere to basic scientific principles, or should audiences just feel the magic instead?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24518305
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Stupot
#2 Posted : 15 October 2013 16:56:25

I love science fiction & i have done pretty much my whole life but i also like there to be some truth when i watch a SF movie, especially when it's set in the not to distant future.Star Trek is excellent at making complex technology seem feasible & believable.I remember watching Independace Day for the first time & marvelling at the special effects but some parts of the story where absolute tosh.I mean Jeff Goldblums character manages to write a computer virus in a few hours on an average laptop that manages to crash the aliens whole defensive computer network!!!!Confused no chance.They must be thousands of years more advanced than us & they don't have Norton Antivirus software.I'd be interested if anyone else has seen a movie that left you feeling the same way.Stu
jase
#3 Posted : 15 October 2013 18:51:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I love sci -fi too and for me it has to me either very believable or totally unbelievable but not in the middle, I remeber my wife say 'that would never happen' while watching Godzilla LOL LOL LOL Things like Battlestar Galactica, Logan's Run, Planet of the Apes even are believable but things like the fantastic four sorry toshLaugh
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Plymouth57
#4 Posted : 02 November 2013 20:18:02

Hi All.

Old Gene usually had an answer for most things! The monitor sensor is a good one but wouldn't apply to exterior shots of starships (unless of course the whole program is being 'relayed' on a Starfleet subspace relay!!BigGrin )
The lack of scientific fact goes right back to the very early days of the American 'pulp sci-fi' comics. I remember one comment in a book on the history of sci-fi that a member of the public complained to the writers of I think the Buck Rogers comics that in one story his solid gold spaceship was trapped by a giant magnet and that gold isn't a magnetic metal! The reply was that on Earth gold isn't magnetic but on plant so and so it was! And there was me thinking gold was an element and the same on any planet!
I can think of two instances where the laws of physics were obeyed and to great effect, the first was in a film, I think it was called Robo-Jox, a long time ago now but a sort of 'Battletech' homage involving huge battle robots with a pilot, used to fight duels to the death instead of open warfare between nations. During the duel the robots jetted off into low orbit and fought with lasers and missiles in space, this sequence was completely silent and really brought the feeling of 'being there' up front.
The second scene was in the Dr Who episode where the Doctor, Rose and Captain Jack were defending a space station against a Dalek attack. Who could forget that scene where one of the station staff was left to control something or other in a secured room with a big window looking out into space. She senses something behind her, turns slowly around to see a Dalek move into position outside the window. She stares at it, it stares back and then in total silence the ear-lights flash four times - and everybody knows exactly what it just said.
And then the window blows out!!
Sometimes when it's done right, who needs sound effects!! Cool Cool Cool

A lifelong 'Who-ist'

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1