Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Interested to buy the D51 Options
ZING444
#1 Posted : 14 October 2013 05:49:09

Groups: Registered

I am very interested in the Locomotive kit. I am 87 years old and have never put together something as seemingly complex as this kit. My question is - with a desire and time to complete this project do you think it is too complex for someone not having any experience. Many thanks for your honest opinions. Don
jase
#2 Posted : 14 October 2013 08:54:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

ZING444 wrote:
I am very interested in the Locomotive kit. I am 87 years old and have never put together something as seemingly complex as this kit. My question is - with a desire and time to complete this project do you think it is too complex for someone not having any experience. Many thanks for your honest opinions. Don

Hi,

You should have no problems the instructions are step by step and very clear and there is an offical build diary and members build diaries to support you. I think you should go for it its a stunning kit and not difficult to assemble.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
ZING444
#3 Posted : 14 October 2013 21:44:12

jase wrote:
ZING444 wrote:

Hi,

You should have no problems the instructions are step by step and very clear and there is an offical build diary and members build diaries to support you. I think you should go for it its a stunning kit and not difficult to assemble.

Jase

Many thanks. I will do it! One other subject is that I cannot buy the entire kit at one time. Has there been any problem with this method of sale - that being the on going monthly delivery not met.
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 14 October 2013 22:12:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi ZiING444
The single buy option is unavailable for this kit, but I can say that subscriptions are generally on time and arrive every month. The D51 is 4 issues per month and like Jase I can recommend this build as I too am building it
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Trotsky
#5 Posted : 15 October 2013 23:59:27

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hello Zing ...Well Iam not quite into the 80s yet but catching up fast...I think this build is ideal regardless of age granted the more nimble your fingers etc probably the better ...having fingers like pork sausages I still manage ...taking your time reading the instructions several times to get the build right is important to me ...Mr T is a fine tutor and has given me much confidence to achieve what at one time I never thought I could. The monthly plan is very helpful to me being on a small pension ...I built the HMS Victory the Surprise and now the D51...I would say go for it ...it's never to late to learn new skills ...Good luck Buddie if you choose to do it ...
H.M.S Victory
H.M.S Victory X Section
H.M.S Surprise under the bench
D-51
Pilgrim
#6 Posted : 16 October 2013 12:31:50

I agree with Trotsky in believing that you won't have any problems building this fine model providing you have reasonable eyesight and some moderate dexterity in your hands. Each delivery I have received so far has been of excellent quality and very well packaged. The pork sausage fingers he refers to are of course the fine British ‘Bangers’ and not those skinny things you colonists call sausages.BigGrin
experten
#7 Posted : 14 November 2013 16:29:22

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Official Builds

Hi Don,

I notice that one question you posed hasn't been addressed;

As far as I am aware, there has never been a partwork kit, from any maker, that has not gone the full run once it has been released as a kit. I have encountered this question here locally, and it really is a non-issue. This way of doing a model is new here in the US, and will require a bit of an adjustment in the way we think about model kits. I find that it is a perfect way to build a large, impressive model. You are not confronted with a huge amount of parts from the get-go, and the pay as you build method is a great way of getting a huge model past the domestic comptroller!

Tired, Old, and Cranky!