Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
YT-1300 Millennium Falcon Reference Thread Options
Warthog
#1 Posted : 18 May 2014 17:29:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

“SHE’S FAST ENOUGH FOR YOU OLD MAN”

The Millennium Falcon is a fictional spacecraft in the Star Wars universe commanded by smuggler Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and his Wookiee first mate, Chewbacca (Peter Mayhew). The highly modified YT-1300 light freighter first appears in Star Wars (1977), and subsequently in The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Return of the Jedi (1983) and in a cameo in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005). The Falcon also appears in a variety of Star Wars Expanded Universe materials, including books, comics, and games; James Luceno's novel Millennium Falcon focuses on the titular ship.

Origin and Design

According to Star Wars creator George Lucas, the Millennium Falcon's design was inspired by a hamburger, with the cockpit being an olive on the side. The ship originally had a more elongated appearance, but the similarity to the Eagle Transporters in Space: 1999 prompted Lucas to change the Falcon's design. The original model was modified, re-scaled, and used as Princess Leia's ship, Tantive IV.

The sound of the ship traveling through hyperspace comes from two tracks of the engine noise of a McDonnell Douglas DC-9, with one track slightly out of synchronization with the other to introduce a phasing effect. To this, sound designer Ben Burtt added the hum of the cooling fans on the motion-control rig at ILM.

Models and Sets

The 5-foot-long effects model from A New Hope was modified to reflect the additional landing gear, and several new models were built, including one roughly the size of a U.S. Quarter Dollar. For the 1997 Special Edition, a CGI model replaced the effects model during the approach and landing on Cloud City.

No new models or sets were created for Return of the Jedi. A portion of the full-scale ship was used for a scene cut from the film in which several characters board the Falcon in a sandstorm on Tatooine. In the scene when Han exacts a promise from Lando not to damage the Falcon, the Falcon is represented by a backdrop painting. It is also in a matte painting of the entire hangar bay.

The internal and external sets were scrapped after filming on Return of the Jedi ended. The effects models were kept by Lucasfilm and some have been on display from time to time.

A digital version of the Falcon appears briefly on Coruscant in Revenge of the Sith. Lucas has stated that the ship is the Falcon and not another ship of similar design.

Hi Everyone BigGrin

This thread is aimed at providing reference material to anyone who is interested in the Star Wars Millennium Falcon. It can be used by those who have many of the Plastic kits available (some cheap, some not so cheap) and also for any budding builders out there that may have either built or want to build this iconic Light Freighter.

Feel free to add your own pictures of your Falcons for all to see, finished or even if you’re just started or thinking of starting one.

There will be links to many of the kits available from the smallest scales all the way to the largest, some rare and some beyond most peoples pockets. Links to other builds on the web that will get you drooling at some of the talent that is out there.

Add tips on what paints you use, any techniques, modifications to the available kits you may have done.

Ask for advice from anyone that has built or is building the Falcon.

Feel free to enter an open discussion regarding the Falcon and your memories from the first time you saw her at the cinema in Star Wars ANH (showing your age now!) Will it be in the new films? Speak about it here..

Books, collections, Fan Art.. If you have it, we want to see it!

If you are aware of any reference web pages that you feel I have missed then feel free to let me know and I will add them to the growing list..

May the Force be with you….

Obi Wan WarthogBlink

Warthog
#2 Posted : 18 May 2014 18:15:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

spikee
#3 Posted : 18 May 2014 23:36:44

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

One of my fave ships from sci fi films this one so an excellent thread!

To add to the links,here's a link to the Starship modellers store-
http://starshipmodeler.biz/shop...ategory/11/star-wars.cfm
They have lighting kits/etched brass detail sets/resin conversions etc for all the different Falcon kits.
A few good books on the subject-
haynes manual
A wonderful little book where each page is a cross section through the ship almost like a model in its own right
Falcon 3d
Theres a few more ofcourse!

Additional Falcon models include Master Replica's superb creation,IF you can find one for sale that is,AND if you can afford the $5,000 for one!!
Studio Scale Falcon

Also a tiny 1/350 model kit (not really a kit you only have to assemble the stand) by F-Toys,and an etched steel kit (theres a few on Ebay) thats only about 4"long when completed.

And lets not forget Deagostini's excellent and huge Falcon that might be coming out soon (Hint hint)Drool
Jon
skyfire
#4 Posted : 19 May 2014 03:17:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Warthog the link you have for the Revell Easy Kit 1/96 scale version fails. It would appear you can't link direct to the page with the model. >:(
Warthog
#5 Posted : 19 May 2014 09:40:50

skyfire wrote:
Warthog the link you have for the Revell Easy Kit 1/96 scale version fails. It would appear you can't link direct to the page with the model. >:(

Fixed BigGrin

Thank you for the links Skyfire BigGrin and keep them coming... I'll be adding more tonight.

Spencer
skyfire
#6 Posted : 20 May 2014 03:02:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'm hoping to do the Millenium Falcon partwork, if it ever comes down under. Not sure where I would put it though, unless I can find a beam that will take 11kgs hanging from it.
Tomick
#7 Posted : 20 May 2014 11:27:49

Groups:

Who would have thought that 37 years on, the Falcon would have generated such a huge following world wide.
davetwin
#8 Posted : 20 May 2014 14:30:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have just picked up a copy of the Falcon Haynes manual in preparation for the partwork arriving BigGrin
Tomick
#9 Posted : 20 May 2014 14:38:53

Groups:

Let's hope it does Crying
spikee
#10 Posted : 20 May 2014 19:35:30

Tomick wrote:
Let's hope it does Crying

I do hope so Drool or do we have to resort to torches and pichforks?Laugh
I still have the 1/72 Fine Molds Falcon in the stash if not.Flapper
Oh I almost forgot,its not a model kit,but there was a 'toy' version with interior out a while back,which seemed about the same size as Deag's Falcon.With a lot work it would come up to standards...just google "Hasbro Millennium Falcon"
Jon
Tomick
#11 Posted : 20 May 2014 20:21:18

Groups:

With a username like spikee you have me worried LOL LOL

Warthog
#12 Posted : 20 May 2014 20:40:20

davetwin wrote:
I have just picked up a copy of the Falcon Haynes manual in preparation for the partwork arriving BigGrin

The Haynes manual is a must have for any fan of the Falcon.. Haynes Millenium Falcon

Spencer
dandare
#13 Posted : 20 May 2014 20:42:28

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Mr T
How much do we have to badger you to get this released here?
im drooling over this one

regards
Dan
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
Warthog
#14 Posted : 20 May 2014 20:46:22

Push Mr T too far and he will send in the Ewoks! LOL
dandare
#15 Posted : 20 May 2014 20:47:39

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Warthog wrote:

Push Mr T too far and he will send in the Ewoks! LOL

LOL LOL LOL
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
Tomick
#16 Posted : 20 May 2014 21:04:27

Groups:

dandare wrote:
Mr T
How much do we have to badger you to get this released here?
im drooling over this one

regards
Dan

The Ewoks are working on it BigGrin

spikee
#17 Posted : 20 May 2014 23:00:51

Tomick wrote:
With a username like spikee you have me worried LOL LOL

No need to worry Mr T,it's my nickname I got when I started work as an aprentice many moons ago,as my hair was always stuck up on end for some weird reason (they weren't the most imaginitive bunch in the world).
So no need for the Ewoks Laugh
Jon
davetwin
#18 Posted : 21 May 2014 00:12:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Warthog wrote:
davetwin wrote:

The Haynes manual is a must have for any fan of the Falcon.. Haynes Millenium Falcon

Spencer

Im sat here on a quiet night shift with my feet up reading it now BigGrin

Thanks for the link, I spy a couple more that could do with being on my shelf.
arpurchase
#19 Posted : 21 May 2014 21:39:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi All
On Amazon you can get the Millenium Falcon Manual from £5.90 + postage I have ordered mine
Regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Warthog
#20 Posted : 22 May 2014 19:11:16

A nice set of weathering tutorials for the FM 1/72 falcon just added to the list BigGrin

Spencer