Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Can't Find Tamiya Paint Options
indy80134
#1 Posted : 18 January 2016 14:47:46

Groups: Registered

Hello new to the forum, and I just subscribe to building the Falcon. I've been looking over all the information out there and there's a lot from everyone. But I ran into a problem that I don't know if anyone else has. I have been gathering supplies in an anticipation to build and I can not find any insignia white cans any were. Everyone seems to be out of stock. Anyone know of some good websites to check with? Thanks for the help.

Regards, Ben
Best Regards...
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 18 January 2016 15:39:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Not sure of your location but if uk based then Wonderland Models have an expected re-stocking date for this one.

https://www.wonderlandmo...insignia-white-us-navy/

Problem though with all paint shipments in the uk is that the GPO no longer transport them so with some suppliers you can get your paints included with a kit or more likely pay more as they have to use couriers.

You could also try ebay as a fair few listed on there under search

tamiya insignia white spray

Regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
indy80134
#3 Posted : 18 January 2016 16:10:11

Thanks for the reply, I should have stated that I'm in the US. EBay hasnt turned up much either. I'll just keep looking thanks.
Best Regards...
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 18 January 2016 16:43:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Why not give Tamiya USA a call or email and they might be able to help further.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
TheCynic315
#5 Posted : 18 January 2016 16:57:21

Amazon has everything but the AS20, Tamyia's site is sold out of AS20 right now
indy80134
#6 Posted : 18 January 2016 19:05:02

So I just asked the official Tamiya customer support about when they will have insignia white back in Stock. Below is thier response.

Quote:

Dear Tamiya Customer,

Unfortunately, this item is not yet available in the U.S. market due to pending federal testing, approval and labeling as required by the Consumer Product Safety Commission; there is no confirmed release date at this time. You may noticed these items available in other markets across the globe, these markets have regulations that differ from U.S. standards; therefore, they may appear in those markets whereas it is not yet eligible to be sold in the U.S.

Thank you,

Tamiya America

Customer Service

Not sure what to do now to get the right color, any suggestions?
Best Regards...
greyhawk
#7 Posted : 18 January 2016 19:14:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

birdaj2
#8 Posted : 18 January 2016 19:49:43

indy80134 wrote:
So I just asked the official Tamiya customer support about when they will have insignia white back in Stock. Below is thier response.

Quote:

Dear Tamiya Customer,

Unfortunately, this item is not yet available in the U.S. market due to pending federal testing, approval and labeling as required by the Consumer Product Safety Commission; there is no confirmed release date at this time. You may noticed these items available in other markets across the globe, these markets have regulations that differ from U.S. standards; therefore, they may appear in those markets whereas it is not yet eligible to be sold in the U.S.

Thank you,

Tamiya America

Customer Service

Not sure what to do now to get the right color, any suggestions?

Well that is not a good situation but at least it answers the question as to why its not available.

I see you have had an update from one of the other forum members on an equivalent match.

Just as a final suggestion maybe ask some of the other falcon builders what they have opted to use. Its not one i am building so my knowledge beyond this point is limited. Really sorry i could not have helped more.

Regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

Nytetrain
#9 Posted : 18 January 2016 21:26:17

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That makes no sense whatsoever to me. (Tamiya USA's response) I live in the US and I bought 4 cans of it last month at Hub Hobby. I have seen it at Scale Model Supplies and Hobby Lobby also. They have been selling that stuff here for years.

Ron
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
LeviathanPrime
#10 Posted : 18 January 2016 21:46:48

Groups:

I think it would be fairly easy to explain. MF builders were all given paint codes of a specific product that probably hasn't been in high demand. Most builders are finishing the bottom at this point and preparing to begin work on painting that side. The reason you want them now is the same reason everyone else all wants them (well, those of you following Dymzso's method). I don't see why a brief shortage is unexpected at all.

As for why customer service would give this answer...well, customer service sometimes comes up with some answers that I think they make up on the fly. *cough*
indy80134
#11 Posted : 18 January 2016 22:00:08

I had the same thought too... Once these videos came out everyone flooded the websites buying them up. I'm going to try this weekend to find some at my local hobby shops, but there is nothing online from what I've looked around. At the very least one of these websites should ship to me when ever they get back in Stock. Or I'll have to color match the best I can from what I got.

I must say if that's the best Tamiya has for customer service, that starts a new standard for me because I've never herd that brush off answer before.
Best Regards...
birdaj2
#12 Posted : 18 January 2016 22:15:44

I would not be so quick to knock Tamiya. Bit of a basic answer admittingly but here in Europe (hopefully soon to be ENGLAND BigGrin ) we had similar issues.

Sometimes think many if thes issues are more political rather than an actual worries with the makeup of items.

There are some pretty leathal "hobby paints" out there but for sone reason they do seem over the last few years to have picked on Tamiya rather than some of these other products.

Lets be honest Europe have 3 main manufacturers ( no names no blame being apportioned) that would prefer limiting what consumers can buy, the US similar.

I work on the principle that companies on the whole sell you what they want to sell you rather than what you want to buy. Only have to look at the supermaket trade - how many times do you buy an alternative because what you wanted is not available.

With the absolutely amazing research, dedication, effort being given to this falcon build, and if i had a hat i would take it off to you, i think the shortage of a particular white paint is not going to be a major obstacle to you guys/gals.

Following the Falcon builds with great interest and admiration for the efforts you are all puttng in.

Happy Modelling

greyhawk
#13 Posted : 18 January 2016 22:16:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well *something* weird is going on because even TamiyaUSA themselves are all out and not just on the insignia white. They *are* available in other countries.

http://www.tamiyausa.com...p-finishes-60/spray-as-(aircraft)-61800

There's apparently a new ASTM standard on artists paints that was introduced in 2014. Maybe there's trouble conforming to that standard? (this is just conjecture on my part)
indy80134
#14 Posted : 18 January 2016 22:27:32

Well I'm sure politics can be a whole other discussion for a different kind of forum. But I'm sure licencing has something to do with it here in the US. The Feds have to have their cut.

I just hate the idea of using an infiure paint when a lot of resource has been put into this already. I know model masters and Testors are readly available here but not sure how it would perform on this kind of project.
Best Regards...
ModelMania
#15 Posted : 18 January 2016 22:30:48

Groups:

birdaj2 wrote:
.... Problem though with all paint shipments in the uk is that the GPO no longer transport them so with some suppliers you can get your paints included with a kit or more likely pay more as they have to use couriers ....

Regards

Tony

I would check the current set of regulations regarding what can or cannot be sent via the GPO on their own website Tony, as I'm pretty certain that they rescinded that regulation quite recently and are now actually allowing paint to be sent, albeit in limited quantities, though I think the limit is quite respectable?

Likely because they realised that they were losing too much business after their crazily extensive list of "can't send that through us!!" items had well and truly shot them in their own foot!! LOL!! Laugh LOL Blink Flapper ThumpUp

Kev Smile

birdaj2
#16 Posted : 18 January 2016 22:42:33

Hi Kev

Still been told by 2 of the companies i buy my bits from that solvents and paints via the po are a nono.

My local postoffice counter also asks what i am posting and does it contain liquids, aerosols or paint.

I am sure they are losing big time but if they have changed to rules they have not remember the god aweful town called Swindon and updated our posties. LOL

If i try to order a £1.70 tin of humbrol dark grey from hannants i get the following message

This kit is too big to be despatched by Royal Mail Small Packet and can only be despatched by the more expensive Parcelforce parcel rate. All the available postage rates are shown.

Happy days - they used to be LOL
Happy Modelling

kenjara
#17 Posted : 19 January 2016 01:13:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

EModels is my go to place and they have it in stock.

https://www.emodels.co.u...0ml-spray-can-86520.html
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
LeviathanPrime
#18 Posted : 19 January 2016 02:21:44

Groups:

I really feel the insignia white is just a time saver. It's a base primer. Airbrush it and use some varnishes to seal it during the process. If you can't spray paint the entire surface, you might find this to be a better method anyway.
indy80134
#19 Posted : 19 January 2016 02:23:21

[quote=kenjara]EModels is my go to place and they have it in stock.

https://www.emodels.co.u...ml-spray-can-86520.html[/quote]

Yup good find I checked them out too but they won't let me order more than 1 can then charge me £22 just to ship to the US.
Best Regards...
indy80134
#20 Posted : 19 January 2016 02:26:47

LeviathanPrime wrote:
I really feel the insignia white is just a time saver. It's a base primer. Airbrush it and use some varnishes to seal it during the process. If you can't spray paint the entire surface, you might find this to be a better method anyway.

Hmm hadn't thought of it that way. The one benefit that I did see was seeing Steve wipe away an air brush with thiner he wasn't happy with and it didn't take off the insignia white
Best Regards...