Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Tamiya AS20 Alternative Options
RogerThornhill
#1 Posted : 27 January 2016 04:42:53

Groups: Registered

I am intending to use AS20 as the base coat for my falcon and cannot find any...anywhere I go.

I was recently on the internet and came across a Tamiya AS alternative conversion chart. It stated that you could use XF 2 10 drops to XF 55 1 drop.

Does anyone know if this is correct as I have never used AS20
Nytetrain
#2 Posted : 27 January 2016 04:52:32

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Best way to find out is to mix some up and test it on a scrap piece. That's a lot of drops to mix for such a huge model. Have you given any thought on the DOA Falcon paint set? Either that or take a road trip over here. We have it.

Ron
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
Metal Mech
#3 Posted : 27 January 2016 04:58:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If you can't find it ask your local hobby store to order it for you. I have two stores that don't carry any of the AS paints. One of them said they are willing to order. I also have a friend that has a store near him that has it and he is willing to pick them up for me when I need.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
RogerThornhill
#4 Posted : 27 January 2016 05:02:45

Actually I have thought about it and may yet do it. I bought the Revell Level 2 Falcon that I am putting together and intend to practice painting and weathering. I asked the question to see if anyone knows because I have never used AS20 and don't know what it suppose to look like. Confused

So Nytetrain have you continued work on your Revell Masterseries Millennium Falcon. I'm waiting to follow along. I sooo want one. I do have a birthday coming up....hmmmmmm
RogerThornhill
#5 Posted : 27 January 2016 05:05:05

Metal Mech that is a good point and I should support my local hobby shop. I will have to ask the next time I am there.
Nytetrain
#6 Posted : 27 January 2016 05:15:51

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just call them up and order it for an in store pick up. No, I haven't even opened the box yet. Been concentrating on my DeAgo build and my build of the year entry. Might be a while before I get to it. I have 12 Bandai Star Wars models that need to be built also. Saw the Revell kit on sale somewhere online though for like $250. The AS 20 is like a light grey with a hint of tan. It's just a base coat and your not even going to see it after all the weathering is applied.

Ron
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
RogerThornhill
#7 Posted : 27 January 2016 05:21:30

yes you are right with the base coat. 12 Bandai kits... I have not done any of those kits. But I haven't done modeling for a long time.
I have seen the Bandai Millennium Falcon put together on youtube...that looks like a really nice kit.
Metal Mech
#8 Posted : 27 January 2016 06:38:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I haven't done an Bandai Star Wars kits. I fp have plenty of their Gundam kits(like 40+) and you can't go wrong with anything they make. Always top notch painted or unpainted.

DeAgostini kit builds:

BradM73
#9 Posted : 27 January 2016 07:31:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I've got several cans of the AS-20 Insignia White and to my eye it looks like a mainly white color with just a hint of grey. Not even light grey, but more white, but without being a bright white color.

I can't say it appears to be tan in any way, but like many white and grey colors, it's often hard to tell since it absorbs surrounding colors.

Check out the attached photo. The AS-20 painted panel is the ramp section. You can see how it appears much lighter than the surrounding unpainted panels. It is painted over a black primer, so some of the black does show through slightly, but not much.

Hope this helps.

ModelMania
#10 Posted : 27 January 2016 09:53:39

Groups:

A valid point there Brad!!

I'm not building the Falcon but I do agree with what you say and to use something that is almost pure white just looks plain wrong anyway? There is such a thing as painting to scale in modelling where any colour is not exactly as it would be seen if you were standing right next to and looking at a full scale version of whatever it was you were modelling?

I am an artist and there is a technique known as 'Aerial Perspective' which I won't go into length about here but it involves how colour appears when viewed through an atmosphere and which changes depending on how much depth of atmosphere there is between the viewer and the subject being viewed? Let's assume - for arguments sake - that a full size real Falcon actually existed and that it was painted in 'pure white' and it was parked on a planets' surface? If you were to stand back far enough from it, there would be sufficient atmosphere between you and the Falcon to make it appear not pure-white but more off-white? This is due to the way that light coming from the viewed subject is refracted and the colour spectrum is altered by the air/water molecules that it has to pass through BEFORE it is detected by the eye of the viewer? All very technical, and you may not understand how it all works but trust me, you would have to be stood very close to a pure white object to see it as what you think is pure white!!

In art (it's the same in painting models) pure white paint should only be reserved for small areas of highlight such as a speck of light in an eye or a small flash of light from a polished surface. All other areas that appear to be white need a tiny addition of another colour to look correct and with modelling that is even more important if it isn't to look completely out of scale? After all, if you were looking at say a 1:72 or 1:48 scale model of an aircraft, which had a white panel on it, and then you looked at the real aircraft, you would have to stand a long way back from the real thing to see it as anything like the same size as the model and by doing that you are going back to the problem of having a depth of atmosphere between yourself and the white panel on the real aircraft and thus, the changes to colours perceived by the eye that will occur as I've already mentioned above?

This can all be backed up by the colours in Brads' photo whereby the pure white ramp just looks too bright and gaudy and 'out of scale', but the rest of the panels, which are still supposed to be a white colour look better and more in scale simply because they have a slight 'hue' to them - it just looks right?!

So I would agree with Brad, AS-20 pure white in an aerosol isn't needed anyway!! It would be better to use a home made liquid mix of white from a jar and add a tiny bit of whatever hue that you want to give to it, to make an 'off white' then spray it through an airbrush?

Hope that helps?

Kev Smile
Nytetrain
#11 Posted : 27 January 2016 10:11:47

I guess I don't follow... the ramp is painted in AS 20 Insignia White... which is an off white... the other panels are just the molded plastic with no finish...is the black primer making the AS 20 look whiter? To me when I look at it in person it's a light grey with a hint of tan in it... maybe it's my bad eyes and the horrible light in my workshop... the walls are sage green and I can see that in there too.

Ron
Best Regards,
Ron

RogerThornhill
#12 Posted : 27 January 2016 13:46:43

Thanks for the pic that does help, and I will try and get some AS20 and if not I will try the mix.

Thanks
Metal Mech
#13 Posted : 27 January 2016 17:45:42

You have to remember that photographs also translate color different then précis we by the eye. There is a blue that I am using that in person looks dark. But when photographed it's a very bright vibrant blue.

Basically just use what you are happy with. AS-20 is just what's being used on the sample falcon and is what you use if your trying to exactly duplicate that look.

Plus you have to remember that the Falcon was never the same through each movie. It's one of those ships that will drive you either crazy or broke trying to make it "accurate".

DeAgostini kit builds:

TK5512
#14 Posted : 27 January 2016 18:38:20

Groups:

I'm jealous because your progress.

In German we are at The beginning.
rj1265
#15 Posted : 27 January 2016 20:08:51

I still cannot decide if I am going to use AS-20 Insignia White, still not in stock anywhere in NE UK

I plan to use the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer Light Gray as the initial coat over everything, it gives a great surface to build on, then I will do some pre-shading. My concern is lack of paint control from a spray can when applying layers over the top - so I either mix my own , just use white , get the doa base pack...or am I totally wrong !! choices Confused
On the WorkBench : DeAg Millennium Falcon , Deag R2-D2
To Build : various 1/72 , 1/32 WW II Military Planes
Lance
#16 Posted : 28 January 2016 13:26:18

Thank you BradM73
The photo help very much, to have the AS-20 side by side with the plane panels color ThumpUp
BradM73
#17 Posted : 28 January 2016 21:24:01

Sorry for the huge photo. Just wanted to blow it up so people could see the different in color a bit better. I also put in the can cap so that you could see the difference in color between the cap and the actual color.

Metal Mech
#18 Posted : 29 January 2016 03:37:49

rj1265 wrote:
I still cannot decide if I am going to use AS-20 Insignia White, still not in stock anywhere in NE UK

I plan to use the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer Light Gray as the initial coat over everything, it gives a great surface to build on, then I will do some pre-shading. My concern is lack of paint control from a spray can when applying layers over the top - so I either mix my own , just use white , get the doa base pack...or am I totally wrong !! choices Confused

If you use a spray primer I suggest not using Tamyia. Its a great primer, but its expensive for the size of can you get. I highly recommend Army Painter primer. Much more bang for the buck, and they come in a variety of colors.

I have been wanting to get insignia white for some of the models that need white. I tried painting regular white and the paint is a PIA to paint so I either avoid it or find something else. So I have wanted to try this as an off white. However there is another AS paint color that's a bit more grey that my friend swears by so I am gonna give that a try on the Falcon, but I still want AS20 for some of my Gundam kits.

DeAgostini kit builds:

rabidcatfan
#19 Posted : 01 February 2016 14:45:51

I still can't find AS-20 either Mad

I even went to my local Hobbytown USA to special order it and they couldn't get it because their distributor has it back-ordered.

So I've tried my hand at mixing and it seems like its pretty close. I need to look at my ratio, but I mixed Vallejo Sky Grey and Ivory and came up with a color I think will work pretty well. It is light gray like the Insignia white, but the Ivory adds a small hint of tan to the mix as well. I haven't sprayed it yet, but I'm going to try it on the underside of a panel piece to see what I think of it.
greyhawk
#20 Posted : 01 February 2016 15:02:28

Yeah, it's not available in Germany anymore either. It seems the falcon builders have bought up the complete world market of AS 20.