Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Completed Bandai Falcon Build (pics) Options
LeviathanPrime
#1 Posted : 27 February 2016 22:49:25

Groups:

Final look of a Bandai 1:144 scale I completed and painted. Used this as a test for the methods of painting, damaging, weathering, and detailing that I intend to use on my DeAgostini kit. Preshading didn't show as well due to adding another base coat after the first turned out too dark. Pleased with how everything else turned out but found a few things over the last week that I'll need to add / touch up.

Looking for feedback or suggestions. Glad to answer questions about the methods used.

Just prior to placing the final pieces back on.

Underside with bad lighting.
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 28 February 2016 00:10:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Looks good to me ,top work. Its a big learning curve with getting to grips with paint finishes and something that you will always improve on and learn by on every model you build. Im still learning with every post on here with techniques and ways to do things that's what makes this forum so special people share to help others get their builds to a standard they could only dream of.Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#3 Posted : 28 February 2016 09:54:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks a very nicely detailed model for the size.

Cannot see anything wrong with your finish and if i had achieved this standard i wiuld be very happy with the result.

Its always a subjective thing with paint finishes because if you think , by way of example, a brand new shiny car, 10 different people will all see it 10 different ways.

Its as you, the modeller, and how you feel something should look like that makes it right. And this one looks right to me so fery well done BigGrin
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#4 Posted : 28 February 2016 10:36:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

That's a tasty piece of work, nicely done.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#5 Posted : 28 February 2016 12:56:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice job, it looks really impressive Cool I particularly like how you've not gone to overboard on the engine area, this is an area I often see way overdone ThumpUp
RogerThornhill
#6 Posted : 28 February 2016 20:20:22

I think it looks fantastic. As I am new to weathering could you please explain what you did and how you did it?

Thanks in advance.
magpie1832
#7 Posted : 28 February 2016 22:48:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really nice weathering skills. Its a skill I have yet to figure out.
ChrisBigGrin
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

LeviathanPrime
#8 Posted : 28 February 2016 23:06:34

Groups:

For this model I very closely followed Scale Model Medic's technique for painting. He hasn't finished his videos of painting to Falcon yet but he did a very nice job documenting what I used here. I'll explain what I did beyond his example as well.
You can see his videos here:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
And still awaiting the conclusion with Part 4.

I'll just run through a list of the techniques I used.

The cockpit and turret interiors were sprayed and then hand painted and dry brushed. Had to do this first because most of the build was going to make them inaccessible later.
I used a hand drill and scribe to gouge out the hull to represent the blast marks and other bits of damage over the hull top and bottom.

Masked off the cockpit interior and the turrets with liquid latex before adding a primer coat that's pretty simple.

Then there's a dark pre-shading that went into all the heavily recessed places and panel lines. It doesn't show much in the final product.
Then there was a base coat. Two actually because the first one ended up being too dark. Having to spray it again covered up most of the pre-shading.

I then hand painted a layer of hairspray onto each panel that was a different color (dark grey, red, yellow, light grey) before masking them off and airbrushing the appropriate color.

I then brushed some water onto those panels once they were completely dry in order to achieve that chipped and flecked appearance.
Then I airbrushed the entire model with a clear varnish to lock in the look at this point and protect the work I'd done up to this point.

To be continued...
LeviathanPrime
#9 Posted : 29 February 2016 00:29:39

Groups:

Then I used a small brush to apply washes. Used some dirty brownish greys for the panel lines and recessed areas.
It then got an airbrushed coat of Matt Varish to seal the washes and cut the shine from the Gloss Varnish.
After that I used a small brush to apply some rusty washes to spots that needed it.
Dabbed some different shades of oil paints onto various panels and to vary the color and give shading.

The rust and rain streaking was achieved by putting a small amount of oil paint in key panel notches and then feathering it lightly with a small brush (see part 3 @ 10:45).

I then uses a few shades of black to amplify the battle damage and scorch marks.
After that dried I dry brush a little silver around the edges of some of the damage that pierced the hull.

I broke out a flat brush and applied some light brown oils dry brushing to simulate some heat marks around the exhaust vents.
Using the same flat brush, I dry brushed some black for the exhaust grime through the middle of the heat marks.

Oh...and brushed a little of that black soot onto the tips of the cannons.
ModelMania
#10 Posted : 29 February 2016 11:54:05

Groups:

An excellent end result and very well weathered - you should be very proud of your work!!

Very well done!! Drool Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
darbyvet
#11 Posted : 29 February 2016 19:49:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I agree it looks great.Nice weathering, great color on the panels and the blast marks and streaking are just right.Quite an achievement for such a small Falcon.

I think your "full size" Falcon will be outstanding if you can do this well on a small kit

Carl

AstonV8
#12 Posted : 29 February 2016 20:33:05

Red Medal: Red Medal

an excellent job very well done indeed Cool Cool
Currently building The Spitfire.

Finished Hummer H1 http://forum.model-space...amp;m=177787#post177787
Finished Red Bull RB7
http://forum.model-space...amp;m=177591#post177591
LeviathanPrime
#13 Posted : 29 February 2016 22:30:59

Groups:

I have to admit, while I appreciate all the praise, I was really hoping to see some more criticism or people finding faults. Anyone?
darbyvet
#14 Posted : 29 February 2016 23:10:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

LeviathanPrime wrote:
I have to admit, while I appreciate all the praise, I was really hoping to see some more criticism or people finding faults. Anyone?

Ok the fifth blast mark on the upper hull is about 2mm too far to the left, Leias dress is not the right shade of white, Chewies bandoleer is too light, Hans hair is the wrong shade and Lukes right hand isnt bandaged.You didnt paint the 23rd rivet on the upper hull and the radar dish is about 4mm too wide, there is no interior on the gun bays and it doesnt have any fiber optic lighting.

How could you be so reckless as to post a Falcon with such flaws Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper

Happy now? Laugh
LeviathanPrime
#15 Posted : 01 March 2016 18:41:24

Groups:

/throws kit in trash bin
Metal Mech
#16 Posted : 01 March 2016 22:04:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I usually don't like to give criticism when I myself don't have much on here to be criticized. However you asked so here goes.

I don't like the way the rear circle vents are painted. I don't know if its just the photograph or not, but they don't look like vents with exhaust residue. They just look like the vents were painted black/dark grey and then the paint was smudged across the back to try and get the effect of exhaust residue. Like I said, it could just be the photo, but that's how it looks to me.

Other then that I really like how it turned out. I myself will never paint anything that small of scale.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
LeviathanPrime
#17 Posted : 01 March 2016 23:00:46

Groups:

Excellent. Thanks. Ok, so you think it looks like they were painted then streaked back? It may be the picture. The actual vents weren't painted but were just dry brushed as I added the soot. The front edges of the forward vents have almost no soot while the trailing edges of the rear vent are completely covered. I attempted to make it look like the grime came radiated outwards from the center but was blown towards the rear. Perhaps you can show me what you think it should look like? Maybe I did do it wrong but it's what made sense to me. Please show me an example.

Seriously...thanks.
Metal Mech
#18 Posted : 02 March 2016 01:43:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking for a picture now. Without a picture I think the best way I can sum it up is that the vents themselves need to pop a bit more so they stand out a bit more.

Ok here is a photo. Not that great, but kinda shows what I am thinking. The grills for the vents are fully painted, then darker spots are applied to make them look dirty in areas, and then there is the residue but its lighter then the grills.

In your photo it looks like the grill is the same color as the outer ring with heavy residue streaked across.

DeAgostini kit builds:

LeviathanPrime
#19 Posted : 02 March 2016 05:09:24

Groups:

I understand what you mean, but that img is so burned out that its making many shades vanish. Can't use that for reference.

Looking at some other reference pictures I see exactly what you're referring too. It's one of the things that I feel doesn't make sense on the original though. The edges of the vents are just too clean. I can only assume that was done to make them pop a bit more. I'm currently considering dry brushing some lighter shades over a few places but I won't be doing it to the extreme that I see on the studio model.
Metal Mech
#20 Posted : 02 March 2016 13:03:11

Yeah that picture is horrible but I was in a hurry and my search results kept pulling Mercades Benz photos for some reason.

Anyway this critic is of course my own opinion and that may be the reason it looks wrong to me. I have grown up with the way it was done on the studio model so that's what I am used to. If your trying for a different look with something that's a bit dirtier that's cool. I appreciate people that try things out of the norm and not do the same old thing.

I still think that you need a bit more definition/separation. I wondering if something as simple as panel lining between the grill and ring would make a difference without changing the effect of being dirty.

Also if your wanting to try something different and change things up a bit. You could make one side darker and dirtier then the other side. Give it a little asymmetrie. Plus it's not unreasonable that some vents would give off more waste then others if things aren't in tip top shape.

DeAgostini kit builds: