Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Hi everyone, I'm very excited about this Falcon, but... Options
Turbowars
#1 Posted : 10 July 2016 18:42:52

Groups: Registered

Hi guys, I just learned of this model and really like the idea of the subscription service. I watched a few videos and it looked like most of the parts were already painted and all I had to do was put it together. Then I ran into this forum and now Im nervous about pulling the trigger. I have some experience with scratch building things, but painting has always been my issue. Im just not good at it, or maybe I should say I'm not good at weathering.

So is this model for me or is this the Model Im not looking for? :) thanks for any honest help and hope I will be a regular here.

darbyvet
#2 Posted : 10 July 2016 19:34:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

There are tons of tutorials online about weathering and Steve Dymszos videos also are very helfpul.If you dont want to use an airbrush you can use vallejo paints and brush paint the model.The filming model was heavily weathered and weathering often covers up less than perfect paint jobs.THis is such an incredible model and the instructions are very easy to follow I am sure you will do fine.You may want to buy a cheap Falcon (ie a Revell kit) to practice your painting skills.

I have a friend who is a professional modeler who always says that painting a spaceship is easy because you use weathering techniques to make it look dirty, wheras the guys building the car models need to get a glass smooth and perfect paint job or the model is ruined.

I am forum support for USA and I would be glad to help you in any way.

Did you watch Steves painting videos?

here are some links

http://forum.us.model-sp...spx?g=posts&t=15760

http://forum.us.model-sp...spx?g=posts&t=16551

http://forum.us.model-sp...spx?g=posts&t=16940

Turbowars
#3 Posted : 10 July 2016 20:28:56

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I just got down 5 minutes ago watching 1-4 of Steves videos. I feel much better now. Now I just need to get the model and start.

I read somewhere about new parts from shapways. Does the kit not come with with some parts?

I need to look into a dual action airbrush too. Never heard of dual action.

So is there a deal on the subscription? I see on some models the 1st shippment is free? Anything else I need to buy besides glue and paint? I heard about a new cickpit and gun wall. Will these be included in the kit I buy?

Nemesis
#4 Posted : 10 July 2016 20:50:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I build military kits and cars and bikes and the show room finishes are the hardest. I am a paint sprayer as part of my work and its all down to the prep for a glass finish. With weathered finishes, armour, space craft etc, most of your work is on a matt base and the prep is not as important as you want the worn beaten look.
GoofyFoot
#5 Posted : 10 July 2016 21:32:15

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Turbowars wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I just got down 5 minutes ago watching 1-4 of Steves videos. I feel much better now. Now I just need to get the model and start.

I read somewhere about new parts from shapways. Does the kit not come with with some parts?

I need to look into a dual action airbrush too. Never heard of dual action.

So is there a deal on the subscription? I see on some models the 1st shippment is free? Anything else I need to buy besides glue and paint? I heard about a new cickpit and gun wall. Will these be included in the kit I buy?

All the parts you need to build the complete kit will come with the subscription. There are parts that have been redesigned by third-parties and put up for sale at Shapeways, in order to add more authenticity (particularly with the interior), but it is not necessary to purchase any of these if you don't want to.

If at first you don't succeed,

maybe you should skip the chainsaw juggling...
Turbowars
#6 Posted : 10 July 2016 21:45:25

Hey thanks guys. I feel much better now and I ordered the kits. I went with the 25 month one(4 kits a month),because of the cost, but do you guys know if it can be changed down the line to 8 kits a months?

I'll have to look what is available from Shapways. From watching the painting videos, it looks like I have a long time to wait to paint. Are there videos for painting the I interior? I see dome people use fiber optics too. So cool.

darbyvet
#7 Posted : 11 July 2016 00:09:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Turbowars wrote:
Hey thanks guys. I feel much better now and I ordered the kits. I went with the 25 month one(4 kits a month),because of the cost, but do you guys know if it can be changed down the line to 8 kits a months?

I'll have to look what is available from Shapways. From watching the painting videos, it looks like I have a long time to wait to paint. Are there videos for painting the I interior? I see dome people use fiber optics too. So cool.

Yes you can switch to the 12 month subscription if you would like.Send me a PM when if and when you want to do it and I will help you get it done.

Carl

Turbowars
#8 Posted : 16 July 2016 16:05:56

I received the first 4 issues. I was reading the overview and it states, no glue and paint required. Thought that was funny since everyone is do the opposite. I really want to be proud of this build and as authentic to the movie as possible so I will take my time. I dont think Ill start building until I get more issues.

Did I read somewhere that the binders are free?
darbyvet
#9 Posted : 16 July 2016 16:31:46

Turbowars wrote:
I received the first 4 issues. I was reading the overview and it states, no glue and paint required. Thought that was funny since everyone is do the opposite. I really want to be proud of this build and as authentic to the movie as possible so I will take my time. I dont think Ill start building until I get more issues.

The first binder is free, but you will need 5 total if you want to put all of you magazine in binders.You can purchase the binders here;

http://www.model-space.c...ium-falcon-binders.html

Carl

Turbowars
#10 Posted : 16 July 2016 18:53:54

darbyvet wrote:
Turbowars wrote:

The first binder is free, but you will need 5 total if you want to put all of you magazine in binders.You can purchase the binders here;

http://www.model-space.c...ium-falcon-binders.html

Carl

When does the free one get sent and how do the magazine's secure to the binders?
darbyvet
#11 Posted : 17 July 2016 01:50:59

The binder comes in month 2 of the subscription.It has little plastic tabs that hold the magazines in the binder.

Carl
Turbowars
#12 Posted : 17 July 2016 19:12:57

Been doing research and Came across paragrafix. How many people are redoing everything on this build? Im getting a little stressed out just looking at this stuff lol. Part of me wants to make the cockpit highly detailed and leave it at that. I dont see me opening the rest of the ship to view inside.

Plus I have seen people painting the inside of the panels silver and sometimes black. If you can't see it, why paint it?
darbyvet
#13 Posted : 17 July 2016 22:41:49

I think the cockpit the kit comes with is fine.I wouldnt worry about all the detail sets unless you want every detail to be added.If you get the Paragrafix sets you will need to modify the kit parts and that means cutting and drilling.If you are planning no keeping the ship closed up I wouldnt bother with any detail sets for the hold either.

The reason for painting the inside of the panels black or silver is to help block out any light leaking from the lighting LEds that come with the kit to ight the cockpit,gun turrets and engines.If you dont paint the inside of the panels you may see some light leaking through the hull when you turn the lights on.

Some builder are just building the kit as it comes.Some are adding one or more detail sets to enhance the detail and some are scratchbuilding new parts etc...
Do what makes you happy.If you want something good to look at and you dont need everything detailed to the max just build it with no extra parts.IF you want to go all out on detailing buy the extra sets, but be prepared to add quite a bit of extra work to get them to fit and look good.

Carl

Bill-Devine
#14 Posted : 26 July 2016 21:17:06

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Turbowars wrote:
Been doing research and Came across paragrafix. How many people are redoing everything on this build? Im getting a little stressed out just looking at this stuff lol. Part of me wants to make the cockpit highly detailed and leave it at that. I dont see me opening the rest of the ship to view inside.

Plus I have seen people painting the inside of the panels silver and sometimes black. If you can't see it, why paint it?

I personally have not bought any of the extra details (yet). I have been adding fiber optic lighting to my cockpit.
That being said I am currently working on modeling the interior floor of the crew quarters (I think it is called) There is no real detail in the floor so to me it looks pretty lame. I am modeling in the details and the panels in the floor will be modeled and removable. Once the modeling is completed then I will print them out on my 3D printer.
Make things as simple as possible but not simpler... - Albert Einstein
arpurchase
#15 Posted : 26 July 2016 21:49:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I completely agree with Carl its your kit build it the way your happy with and how you want it. At the moment I am collecting issue's and will start my build soon. I do have the paragrafix etch and will use it on my build but as for the lights I am waiting to see whats provided with the kit before thinking of adding more.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Turbowars
#16 Posted : 06 September 2016 02:20:23

Hi guys, looks like month 3 shipped out and am going to start light blocking and gathering new supplies since most of my stuff is gone. Hope to get an Airbrush soon too.

I think I have decided to go with a enamel flat black lightblock. I see no need for silver. Any opinions on that? Enamel is ok for the ABS panels right?

I saw the Chris Holland light kit and am thinking about getting it. Whatcha think?
Turbowars
#17 Posted : 29 November 2016 04:29:35

Hi gang, month 6 and 7 coming. Still deciding on lighting and doing more detail using Paragrafix and Shapways. I have a ton of questions on adding detail lighting and fiber optics. How do we know if the added lights will work with the kit and some of the Shapeways stuff looks great, but how do you know if it fits? Like the complete new floor. How does it secure to the kit?

I also had it in my mind that I would put the whole ship together then put a base coat on it, but it looks like doing that might be a problem in tight spots. How is every one else doing it? Paint each panel as you go then glue the detail on? Im at the point where I dont know what to do since there's so much conflicting info.
scraperjawa
#18 Posted : 29 November 2016 05:17:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Turbowars wrote:
Hi gang, month 6 and 7 coming. Still deciding on lighting and doing more detail using Paragrafix and Shapways. I have a ton of questions on adding detail lighting and fiber optics. How do we know if the added lights will work with the kit and some of the Shapeways stuff looks great, but how do you know if it fits? Like the complete new floor. How does it secure to the kit?

I also had it in my mind that I would put the whole ship together then put a base coat on it, but it looks like doing that might be a problem in tight spots. How is every one else doing it? Paint each panel as you go then glue the detail on? Im at the point where I dont know what to do since there's so much conflicting info.

Hi Turbowars,

I've had no problems with any of the Shapeways parts I changed out of the original kit. Things like the cargo hold floor have the same holes as the original parts and match up nicely. I can't speak to the Paragrafix parts, but from what I have seen on the form, they look like they work nicely.

As far as painting, I put down all my base coat on the hull plating before I attach it to the frame. Once I am happy with the base coat and all the different colored panels, I attach them to the framing. Then I weather everything using oil paints and a bit of pastels. I'm not really sure how I would paint the beast as a completed model. There is so much detail. It seems like it would be a masking nightmare. I like the idea of finishing the paint job in sections, but you do have to be consistent with how you paint things.

I would say, do what you feel the most comfortable with.

Good luck,

Stephen
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

Turbowars
#19 Posted : 29 November 2016 05:22:40

scraperjawa wrote:
Turbowars wrote:

Hi Turbowars,

I've had no problems with any of the Shapeways parts I changed out of the original kit. Things like the cargo hold floor have the same holes as the original parts and match up nicely. I can't speak to the Paragrafix parts, but from what I have seen on the form, they look like they work nicely.

As far as painting, I put down all my base coat on the hull plating before I attach it to the frame. Once I am happy with the base coat and all the different colored panels, I attach them to the framing. Then I weather everything using oil paints and a bit of pastels. I'm not really sure how I would paint the beast as a completed model. There is so much detail. It seems like it would be a masking nightmare. I like the idea of finishing the paint job in sections, but you do have to be consistent with how you paint things.

I would say, do what you feel the most comfortable with.

Good luck,

Stephen
Thanks for the reply. What do you do about all the added detail parts? Glue them on over the painted panels?
scraperjawa
#20 Posted : 29 November 2016 05:41:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I've been painting all the add ons as well. I try to put them on before I weather it, but that doesn't always work out. If I do add them much later, then I will usually do another round of weathering with the oils. They are a fairly forgiving medium as they dry very slowly, so you can add and remove them as you see fit until you get the desired look. You do need to let them sit for at least a day to set properly. I am going to leave them for several months before I add any matte varnish finish to seal the surface as well. The trick is to add very light layers of weathering and build it up over several coats until you get the desired effect. If you are interested in oil paint weathering, I recommend watching the You Tube videos by FichtenFoo on weathering the Millenium Falcon. He walks you through each step of the process and gives lots of good tips.

Stephen
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon