Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Time to build it !!! Options
Freedom7
#1 Posted : 26 December 2019 19:53:56

Groups: Registered

So I ordered this when it was released but never had the time to build it due to work etc..

I now have the time so it's my new years resolution to build it.

I am planning on adding some extra lighting using fiber optic and some extra detail parts etc.

I will be going through all the build blogs but if anyone has any Must have/do ideas please feel free to post links.

I am really looking forward to this build as its probably the biggest thing I have ever attempted.
andali15
#2 Posted : 26 December 2019 20:13:35

It’s a brilliant bit of kit. Thoroughly enjoyed my build although I only built it as per mags. So heavy. Enjoy. Andy.
birdaj2
#3 Posted : 26 December 2019 21:22:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Always nice to have a full kit on hand so you can best plan out your ideas.

Hope you get some great fun putting it all together and possibly sharing some of that assembly on her.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#4 Posted : 26 December 2019 22:19:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time with us.... Am sure you'll love the build when you get going and hopefully we'll get a chance to see some of your work in the form of a build diary... Good luck with the build...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Junk Pilot
#5 Posted : 27 December 2019 00:43:04

If you build it, we will come
Junk Pilot
#6 Posted : 27 December 2019 00:46:30

You may find these will be of a great benefit. They are the more detailed build diaries that were hosted on the original De Agostini website before it crashed and are better than the magazine instructions.

It is best they be opened in Google Chrome.

https://drive.google.com...eORdMFm4xZMh4TP6uGiAb602
S4Simon
#7 Posted : 27 December 2019 05:40:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I’ve been building models for near on 50 years now, and this was by far the most enjoyable model I’ve had the pleasure of building... Ever... fibre optics were too fiddly for my eyes. Ended up just adding more down lights and interior lighting. Enjoy.

BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 27 December 2019 08:58:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp It is a great kit, one that you can put your own customisations to, but also looks good straight from the box.
There are a lot of third party after market parts available, however some can be quite expensive if you are on a budget. I kept that in mind when I did the custom build for the forum, but there are also some very talented members build diaries you could take a look at for ideas.
It would be great to see some of your work soon.Cool BigGrin

Mark
Freedom7
#9 Posted : 28 December 2019 02:19:49

Thank you for all the reply guys .....

Thanks for the links and photos I do have one question as I would like to add fiber optic lighting to this.

I have been looking for coloured fiber so I can use a single white led for the source light can anyone point me to a supplier ?

I'm thinking 0.25 for the cockpit consoles etc and maybe 1mm for the red external hull lighting.
Freedom7
#10 Posted : 28 December 2019 02:20:59

andali15 wrote:
It’s a brilliant bit of kit. Thoroughly enjoyed my build although I only built it as per mags. So heavy. Enjoy. Andy.

Thanks for the reply Andy.
Freedom7
#11 Posted : 28 December 2019 02:22:05

birdaj2 wrote:
Always nice to have a full kit on hand so you can best plan out your ideas.

Hope you get some great fun putting it all together and possibly sharing some of that assembly on her.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the response I am really looking forward to the build....
Freedom7
#12 Posted : 28 December 2019 02:23:52

Gandale wrote:
Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time with us.... Am sure you'll love the build when you get going and hopefully we'll get a chance to see some of your work in the form of a build diary... Good luck with the build...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

I will be happy to post my progress this is the first time I have done anything like this so I'm sure it will be challenging...

I'll be back for regular assistance :)
Freedom7
#13 Posted : 28 December 2019 02:26:41

S4Simon wrote:
I’ve been building models for near on 50 years now, and this was by far the most enjoyable model I’ve had the pleasure of building... Ever... fibre optics were too fiddly for my eyes. Ended up just adding more down lights and interior lighting. Enjoy.

Wow Simon fantastic looking hunk of junk :)

That bar may be a bit to high for me but I'm going to give it a good go :)

I am planning on adding more detail as I go along I may do a bit of kit bashing or it might just be what I can find on shapeways lol

Thank you for posting the photos.
Freedom7
#14 Posted : 28 December 2019 02:31:07

Markwarren wrote:
Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp It is a great kit, one that you can put your own customisations to, but also looks good straight from the box.
There are a lot of third party after market parts available, however some can be quite expensive if you are on a budget. I kept that in mind when I did the custom build for the forum, but there are also some very talented members build diaries you could take a look at for ideas.
It would be great to see some of your work soon.Cool BigGrin

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the response, I am working my way through the members blogs and builds etc just to see what has come along since buying this kit and there is a lot. I am planning on adding fiber optic lighting ( if I can find a supplier in the UK ) and shapeways seems to have a lot of parts options but I'm not planning on going to mad with the modifications. ... well that's the current plan anyway :)

I'll be back with lots more questions I'm sure.

Anthony
Freedom7
#15 Posted : 28 December 2019 02:37:14

[quote=Junk Pilot]You may find these will be of a great benefit. They are the more detailed build diaries that were hosted on the original De Agostini website before it crashed and are better than the magazine instructions.

It is best they be opened in Google Chrome.

https://drive.google.com...ORdMFm4xZMh4TP6uGiAb602[/quote]

Thank you for the link ....

I am going through build blogs etc at the moment be for I start the build next week so this will be very helpful.

Anthony
Markwarren
#16 Posted : 28 December 2019 10:47:18

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi Anthony

Not sure if it it easy to get hold of the coloured fiber here. At the time I couldn’t find any and used the clear stuff. Once I had mushroomed the ends, I dipped them in Tamiya translucent paints and left to dry before putting them in place. That way you can use just a white light and Tamiya do a range of colours.
As for the external red lights, it would be easier to use 3mm red LED light for each one, although I think Shapeways do the caps, where you place a 1mm fiber cable inside it as well as caps that use 3mm LED’s.

Regards
Mark
S4Simon
#17 Posted : 28 December 2019 11:02:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

For my red downlights I just used 3mm red leds and piggybacked 3 in series off each deag white led. So 12 red leds installed. Cost me a couple of bucks. Very pleased with result. Ran the Falcon for two full days off the internal battery pack at the last model show with no issues.

With regard to weathering, there were a lot of firsts for me with the Falcon. First time using an airbrush, first time using an oil paint and using the rubbing method, and first time using the Tamiya weathering kits. Overall useage was oil paint rubbing 80%, tamiya weathering kit 15%. Airbrush 5%.

Don’t be afraid to try new methods. YouTube is your friend. :-)

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
Freedom7
#18 Posted : 29 December 2019 02:25:58

Markwarren wrote:
Hi Anthony

Not sure if it it easy to get hold of the coloured fiber here. At the time I couldn’t find any and used the clear stuff. Once I had mushroomed the ends, I dipped them in Tamiya translucent paints and left to dry before putting them in place. That way you can use just a white light and Tamiya do a range of colours.
As for the external red lights, it would be easier to use 3mm red LED light for each one, although I think Shapeways do the caps, where you place a 1mm fiber cable inside it as well as caps that use 3mm LED’s.

Regards
Mark

Hi Mark,

Someone on the forum has sent me a link for the fiber optic so that will do for the internal panel lighting etc.

I will look into the red 3mm Led's

I am still working my way through shapeways as there is a lot of stuff on ther ...

Anthony
Freedom7
#19 Posted : 29 December 2019 02:29:04

S4Simon wrote:
For my red downlights I just used 3mm red leds and piggybacked 3 in series off each deag white led. So 12 red leds installed. Cost me a couple of bucks. Very pleased with result. Ran the Falcon for two full days off the internal battery pack at the last model show with no issues.

With regard to weathering, there were a lot of firsts for me with the Falcon. First time using an airbrush, first time using an oil paint and using the rubbing method, and first time using the Tamiya weathering kits. Overall useage was oil paint rubbing 80%, tamiya weathering kit 15%. Airbrush 5%.

Don’t be afraid to try new methods. YouTube is your friend. :-)

Hi Simon,

I do have an airbrush which I have used a few times but not on anything like this so this will be a first :)

I am going to pick up some of the Tamiya weathering packs either that or use some of the weathering powders I have. I will experiment a bit first.

Anthony
S4Simon
#20 Posted : 29 December 2019 02:37:02

FYI - all the streak work and shading of my hull was done using the tamiya weathering kits. Airbrush work was very minimal. In fact probably could have done without any airbrush work.