Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages «<89101112>»
Admirals HMS Sovereign of the seas adventure Options
Gandale
#181 Posted : 04 May 2013 22:29:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking really good Admiral, half way there now.... BigGrin BigGrin .. Keep the pics coming, it's all very helpful....

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#182 Posted : 06 May 2013 21:23:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

NMBROOK wrote:
Looking good,shes starting to come alive nowBigGrin You have the start of some lovely sweeping lines on the stern planking.You have set yourself a task with the half mil gap,I just did my caulking with pencil(well actually a lot of pencilsLOL LOL) before fitting but im not painting mine.
Kind Regards
Nigel

Thanks Nigel, Thats a good idea and i do that for the rest of the hull with a black marker, but for the lower hull im going to end up painting over it all with will probably cover up the pencil marks, not sure yet how im going to do the caulking but i leave the 0.5mm gap so that i'll still have the opportunity BigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
Admiral Anti Spiral
#183 Posted : 06 May 2013 21:27:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Gandale wrote:
Looking really good Admiral, half way there now.... BigGrin BigGrin .. Keep the pics coming, it's all very helpful....

Regards

Alan

thanks a bunch Alan, cutting out the gunports doesn't take as long as i thought, but after doing one side i am taking more time on the other, which is a good thing because while on display you usually dont see the other side of the ship, so in the end one side might end up looking better than the other haha BigGrin BigGrin hopefully both sides will look the same
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#184 Posted : 06 May 2013 21:45:06

Groups:

Admiral Anti Spiral wrote:
NMBROOK wrote:
Looking good,shes starting to come alive nowBigGrin You have the start of some lovely sweeping lines on the stern planking.You have set yourself a task with the half mil gap,I just did my caulking with pencil(well actually a lot of pencilsLOL LOL) before fitting but im not painting mine.
Kind Regards
Nigel

Thanks Nigel, Thats a good idea and i do that for the rest of the hull with a black marker, but for the lower hull im going to end up painting over it all with will probably cover up the pencil marks, not sure yet how im going to do the caulking but i leave the 0.5mm gap so that i'll still have the opportunity BigGrin BigGrin

Hi Admiral,before I decided to leave the underneath of my hull natural,I toyed with the idea of caulking and then airbrushing the underside with a very dilute wash of white that would allow the caulking to show through as well as a bit of the wood colour so it wouldn't be glaring.Just an Idea.
Kind Regards Nigel
MWG
#185 Posted : 06 May 2013 23:32:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Admiral, Very nice work,BigGrin the gun ports look spot on

Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Admiral Anti Spiral
#186 Posted : 06 May 2013 23:47:33

MWG wrote:
Hi Admiral, Very nice work,BigGrin the gun ports look spot on

Kind regards Mike

Thanks for the feedback mike!Smile
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#187 Posted : 07 May 2013 16:52:23

More images, just showing how i managed to fix some of the gun ports i messed up on
On the second image i decided to add a 1.5mm strip of wood (c) just to add more height, the gap between the gun ports and the top of the hull just seemed a bit too short for me, i also tested to see how the cannons would fit, and to me the gun ports seem to low, so for the decking i'll probably just use some card and plank the deck on that to make it lower while i've also risen the gun ports by 1mm on that top deck.

Whilst filing down the side of the gun port next to the the piece between the two broke off (B)though managed to fix it with some left over bammboo, didn't realise it'd be so flimsy. also managed to loose control of the router/dremel at times (A), making some marks that the second layer should nicely cover up, only a couple more ports to drill out then clean up, then can get ready for working fully on the second layer, should be fun!BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Gandale
#188 Posted : 07 May 2013 22:15:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice Admiral, your port repair is exactly how I did mine, well done ..... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Hans
#189 Posted : 08 May 2013 08:47:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well done, Admiral, looking good.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Admiral Anti Spiral
#190 Posted : 11 May 2013 13:55:25

Thanks Andy and Hans BigGrin

Small update on some modifications to the cannons

Decided to make small hooks on the end of the blocks in, will be a daunting task to make so many for all the cannons but worth the added detail, im sure i'll find an easier way of making them, or even buying them, but they're also hard to get on the cannons without scratching the paint off, even with some varnish onGlare

Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#191 Posted : 11 May 2013 14:01:02

hmmm tried adding pics without photobucket, not as easy as i thought..
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#192 Posted : 11 May 2013 14:43:23

Groups:

Thats a fine job with the cannons.I used the same technique on another build,the dremel sanding drum is just the right size at this scale.Caldercraft do make some hooks for this purpose and they are available seperately on an etched sheet but I'm not sure if they would be a little too large.
Kind Regards Nigel
Tomick
#193 Posted : 11 May 2013 14:56:53

Groups:

Additional detail is never a bad thing other than more work., well done Admiral Cool
Martyn Ingram
#194 Posted : 11 May 2013 20:11:13

BigGrin Love detail on gun's . Bril work BigGrin Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
MWG
#195 Posted : 11 May 2013 20:17:26

Hi Admiral, very nice workBigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Gandale
#196 Posted : 11 May 2013 22:21:48

Now that's a nice touch Admiral, may just follow you on that one.... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
karl1113
#197 Posted : 12 May 2013 10:50:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

as nigle said,caldercraft do hooks and eyes,and believe me they are SMALL,
in fact they are sooooo small you can't see them at 3 ft. (I'm old and half blind anyway) I've used them on 2mm blocks and they still look too small.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
court orchard
#198 Posted : 12 May 2013 12:52:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

As already mentioned by Karl and Nigel I am planning to use the Caldercraft PE Eyelets which come in sheets of 250 for about a Fiver. I think the PE Rigging Hooks are still to big. So with a bit of careful snipping these Eyelets will be converted into Hooks as well. I am also using their small Blocks, as the supplied Blocks are too big.

http://www.shipwrightshop.com/s...Rigging-Fittings_01.html

Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Admiral Anti Spiral
#199 Posted : 12 May 2013 15:01:24

Thanks for the great feedback guysBigGrin BigGrin

As the for the hooks i did see some online, though i only found them in sets for specific ships and they were at high prices and as karl said did look pretty small even at the scale they were for, so i'll probably go back to the idea of just bending eyepins/eyelets into hooks, which is easy enough, whats worse is getting them on the blocksBlink
Thanks for the comments, very helpful BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#200 Posted : 12 May 2013 16:01:02

Groups:

Just a thought Admiral,you could drill a tiny hole in the block and glue the end of the hook in.Then wrap the thread around the block.I know its not how it should be but you would be very hard pushed to tell the difference.
Regards Nigel