Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages «<910111213>»
Admirals HMS Sovereign of the seas adventure Options
Admiral Anti Spiral
#201 Posted : 13 May 2013 19:44:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

NMBROOK wrote:
Just a thought Admiral,you could drill a tiny hole in the block and glue the end of the hook in.Then wrap the thread around the block.I know its not how it should be but you would be very hard pushed to tell the difference.
Regards Nigel

i had thought of that before but i liked it better with the ring on even though its harder to handle, only way i know is to simply superglue it on then threat some rope through it around the block to keep it in place
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
Admiral Anti Spiral
#202 Posted : 13 May 2013 19:53:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Small modification

This bow 3rd deck seemed to steep to me, i didn't like it or thought it was practical, so instead of cutting down the planks to the height of the frames i've taken them off and replaced them with ones i wont cut, this way it seems more even and parallel with the gun ports, so i'll have to raise the frames a bit too, i've seen it on a few models it this way and i like it better, wasn't sure how the decorations would work out especially at such a small angle to fit, but if there is any problems with the decorations to come i'll just have to cross that bridge when it comes.
(gun ports dont look tidy but i'll sort them better when it needs to be)
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#203 Posted : 13 May 2013 21:34:48

Groups:

Hi Admiral,
I get most things from the'model-dockyard.com',mail order only based in Truro.CMB are good but the model dockyard specialize in period ships and have a much larger range.In the caldercraft period ship fittings are listed 5mm hooks.They are £2.33 per sheet of fifty.This is where I had seen them which is why I wondered if they may be too big.
Regards Nigel
Gandale
#204 Posted : 13 May 2013 22:47:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Admiral, have done something similar with the height of my bullworks. I haven't cut all the way down, I have left a little to finish off. Wanted to make sure I had all the height necessary when fitting the upper decks, will trim it all down much later... Very nice work.... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#205 Posted : 15 May 2013 16:39:52

Gandale wrote:
Hi Admiral, have done something similar with the height of my bullworks. I haven't cut all the way down, I have left a little to finish off. Wanted to make sure I had all the height necessary when fitting the upper decks, will trim it all down much later... Very nice work.... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan

That was a good idea alan, wish i had done that now, if i have to in the later stages of the build i'll just cut out some of the planking carefully and replace it, hopefully i wont have to!BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#206 Posted : 15 May 2013 16:46:45

NMBROOK wrote:
Hi Admiral,
I get most things from the'model-dockyard.com',mail order only based in Truro.CMB are good but the model dockyard specialize in period ships and have a much larger range.In the caldercraft period ship fittings are listed 5mm hooks.They are £2.33 per sheet of fifty.This is where I had seen them which is why I wondered if they may be too big.
Regards Nigel

the hooks ive made are pretty much 5mm, i dont think i'd dare go any smaller otherwise it'd be a nightmare, thanks for the heads up though, i wouldn't be needing many sheets so i may look into them, thanks againBigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

MWG
#207 Posted : 15 May 2013 18:55:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Dominic, your build is progressing wellBigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Admiral Anti Spiral
#208 Posted : 15 May 2013 19:59:12

MWG wrote:

ahah unless you've chosen a nickname for me, wrong diary mike!BigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Martyn Ingram
#209 Posted : 15 May 2013 20:16:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice work Domi.... op's sorry Admiral LOL Bril Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
MWG
#210 Posted : 15 May 2013 21:04:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Admiral Anti Spiral wrote:
MWG wrote:

Sorry Admiral,I new it was your thread do not no why I changed your name Blushing Blink Huh put it down to ageLaugh Love All the best Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Gandale
#211 Posted : 15 May 2013 22:19:34

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

MWG wrote:
MWG wrote:

Sorry Admiral,I new it was your thread do not no why I changed your name Blushing Blink Huh put it down to ageLaugh Love All the best Mike

LOL LOL LOL Don't worry Admiral, Mike has done the same to me by calling me Andy...LOL LOL LOL ... It's a senior thing...LOL LOL Flapper Flapper LOL LOL

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#212 Posted : 16 May 2013 20:21:05

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Nice work Domi.... op's sorry Admiral LOL Bril Rgd Martyn

BigGrin BigGrin thanks martyn
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#213 Posted : 16 May 2013 20:22:22

Gandale wrote:
MWG wrote:
MWG wrote:

LOL LOL LOL Don't worry Admiral, Mike has done the same to me by calling me Andy...LOL LOL LOL ... It's a senior thing...LOL LOL Flapper Flapper LOL LOL

Regards

Alan

ahahah no worries, thanks for the comment mike!BigGrinLaugh
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#214 Posted : 20 May 2013 15:39:01

Not much progress done, i thought i'd enjoy this second layer more than i thought but im finding it boring and just want to get on with something else, but it has to be done!

I think whats holding me back the most is trying to get a plank around the bow of the ship without it curving up, i would try putting them in some hot water and let them dry in a curved position, but im not sure how it would work with this type of wood(any ideas?)
i've also reaslised i made a big mistake by starting at the top of the ship and not at the water line, but i think i can match them up, on the other side its fine i've started on the waterline.

I also plan to treenail the ship with some 0.5mm brass rivets, only the upper hull, but at 50 a packet im going to need alot of packetsBlink, so it may be something that will take a while to complete, im hoping it should turn out something like this.
(though i may make the gaps bigger to reduce the number of rivets needed)

will probably be a while before i've finished this layer, so i may work on the lower hull a bit too.
Processing - Progressing

Gandale
#215 Posted : 20 May 2013 21:51:31

Hi Admiral, if you think the planking the second layer is boring then wait wait till you trenail, if you decide to go down that route.... Blink Blink Blink .. You're right, it has to be done so just try laying one row a night to break up the task....Cool Cool ... Looking good though... well done.... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#216 Posted : 22 May 2013 00:12:01

Gandale wrote:
Hi Admiral, if you think the planking the second layer is boring then wait wait till you trenail, if you decide to go down that route.... Blink Blink Blink .. You're right, it has to be done so just try laying one row a night to break up the task....Cool Cool ... Looking good though... well done.... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan

ahahah i bet, but even so its something different from what im used to so i know it'll look good in the end and be worth the workBigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Hans
#217 Posted : 22 May 2013 09:55:30

The end result is always worth the effort!!! She's looking great.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
arpurchase
#218 Posted : 22 May 2013 10:26:18

BigGrin Hi Admiral
Why buy rivets at 50 a pack when buying brass rod and just cutting to size and inserting into ready drilled holes will do the job just as nicely and a lot cheaper too. If your after the effect of the rounded end of the rivets on the hull what you must also remember is that at this scale they would be smaller than whats available as an aftermarket add on so would look out of scale. when I built my Yamato I considered putting on the hull plates and riveting but after seeing examples I thought it looked too much in your face due to scale making it look way to big unfortunately I have misplaced the picture I was going to show as an example but I hope this helps
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Admiral Anti Spiral
#219 Posted : 23 May 2013 15:44:03

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Admiral
Why buy rivets at 50 a pack when buying brass rod and just cutting to size and inserting into ready drilled holes will do the job just as nicely and a lot cheaper too. If your after the effect of the rounded end of the rivets on the hull what you must also remember is that at this scale they would be smaller than whats available as an aftermarket add on so would look out of scale. when I built my Yamato I considered putting on the hull plates and riveting but after seeing examples I thought it looked too much in your face due to scale making it look way to big unfortunately I have misplaced the picture I was going to show as an example but I hope this helps
regards
AndyCool

i am considering that option but i feel i'd rather have something of quality and the ridge of the rounded top of the rivet would stop them going in too far allowing them to stick out a little adding more detail, i have loads of brass wire so i am considering it, but at the moment the brass rivets are appealing to meBigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#220 Posted : 23 May 2013 15:47:55

does anyone know how you're meant to plank around the bow of the ship and still keep it at 30mm? because it seems it would take some intense curvingConfused
Processing - Progressing