Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages «<1011121314>»
Admirals HMS Sovereign of the seas adventure Options
Gandale
#221 Posted : 23 May 2013 21:06:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Admiral Anti Spiral wrote:
does anyone know how you're meant to plank around the bow of the ship and still keep it at 30mm? because it seems it would take some intense curvingConfused

Hi Admiral, I did find the same problem and I decided to let the planks go where they wanted to go... When you consider the wales are to be applied and painted red in between then the rise shouldn't be noticeable....BigGrin BigGrin .. At least that is how I have approached it....Cool Cool

Very nice work there....

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#222 Posted : 25 May 2013 13:16:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Gandale wrote:
does anyone know how you're meant to plank around the bow of the ship and still keep it at 30mm? because it seems it would take some intense curvingConfused

Hi Admiral, I did find the same problem and I decided to let the planks go where they wanted to go... When you consider the wales are to be applied and painted red in between then the rise shouldn't be noticeable....BigGrin BigGrin .. At least that is how I have approached it....Cool Cool

Very nice work there....

Regards

Alan

thanks alanSmile i think i'll just go ahead and do the same, i guess its not too big a problem.BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
Admiral Anti Spiral
#223 Posted : 25 May 2013 13:23:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Glad to say my present has arrived, very pleased with how they are but i thought they would be brass, to be honest not sure what they are, but they look plastic.
0.5 brass rivets with a head diameter of 0.7mm, they fit great, i've been using a 0.5mm drill, i thought they would be much tougher than my last drills, but no, broke straight away, but i've managed to fit the broken piece in the vice anyway.

160 rivets for £7, much better than the 50 for £5, but even better i've found 200 for £3 which are also plastic so i'll probably go with those, i'll have to paint the heads black and glue them in.
but not so soon, i've only drilled holes where the planks connect.

Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#224 Posted : 25 May 2013 13:30:30

Groups:

Hi Admiral.you will probably find,like I am, that a new drillbit snaps almost straight away,but the broken end will drill hundreds of holes.Interesting idea with the plastic rivets,look forward to seeing how they turn out.
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#225 Posted : 25 May 2013 22:39:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Admiral, looking good.... Like the idea with the plastic rivets but judging by the amount of treenails I've just done on the top of one side of the hull your're going to need a lot of rivets...... especially if you intend treenailing the lower hull too... BigGrin BigGrin .. Will be watching to see how your idea works out... Cool Cool .. Lovely work all round... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#226 Posted : 26 May 2013 00:00:11

Gandale wrote:
Hi Admiral, looking good.... Like the idea with the plastic rivets but judging by the amount of treenails I've just done on the top of one side of the hull your're going to need a lot of rivets...... especially if you intend treenailing the lower hull too... BigGrin BigGrin .. Will be watching to see how your idea works out... Cool Cool .. Lovely work all round... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan

yup thats a good point, i would use toothpicks as you and mike have done but i'd rather have something more of quality and accurate, only problem is the price, but lucky i've found them at a MUCH cheaper price and more per pack than originally where originally for 4000 i'd have to pay £400, but now that i'd found them much cheaper, personally i think its something worth doing BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#227 Posted : 26 May 2013 00:01:22

NMBROOK wrote:
Hi Admiral.you will probably find,like I am, that a new drillbit snaps almost straight away,but the broken end will drill hundreds of holes.Interesting idea with the plastic rivets,look forward to seeing how they turn out.
Kind Regards Nigel

thanks nigel, im thinking of buying more 0.5 drills but so far this broken one seems to be doing the job now Smile
Processing - Progressing

Gandale
#228 Posted : 26 May 2013 00:06:56

Gandale wrote:

Regards

Alan

yup thats a good point, i would use toothpicks as you and mike have done but i'd rather have something more of quality and accurate, only problem is the price, but lucky i've found them at a MUCH cheaper price and more per pack than originally where originally for 4000 i'd have to pay £400, but now that i'd found them much cheaper, personally i think its something worth doing BigGrin

Hi Admiral.. it was from the cost angle I was thinking about and I agree I think it would look superb....Cool Cool .. Lots more work having to paint all the rivet heads but am seriously looking forward to seeing how it all looks on your build....Cool Cool .. With regards to .5mm drills breaking, I found the same but did find after the breakage the remnance of the drill would still drill all the holes necessary.... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
NMBROOK
#229 Posted : 26 May 2013 01:59:32

Groups:

Hi Admiral,
Have you seen MRTs post on scale hardware?I have had a look and they do brass square headed bolts.Think these will look great on the rudder hinge pintles etc.Definately going to be investing in some of these.
Kind Regards Nigel
Admiral Anti Spiral
#230 Posted : 26 May 2013 18:36:18

NMBROOK wrote:
Hi Admiral,
Have you seen MRTs post on scale hardware?I have had a look and they do brass square headed bolts.Think these will look great on the rudder hinge pintles etc.Definately going to be investing in some of these.
Kind Regards Nigel

nope, never saw it until you just mentioned it, but i have seen the website, very good but a bit expensive for my likes, though they do have some things which would be hard to find elsewhere.
Processing - Progressing

delboy271155
#231 Posted : 26 May 2013 19:09:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Admiral,BigGrin
Love the work to date, as for 0.5mm drill bits try this ebay item number 200884965978 . They are £5.89p for 10 and free p+p.
You may be able to get them cheaper but that was the best when I bought mine.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Admiral Anti Spiral
#232 Posted : 28 May 2013 19:18:12

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Admiral,BigGrin
Love the work to date, as for 0.5mm drill bits try this ebay item number 200884965978 . They are £5.89p for 10 and free p+p.
You may be able to get them cheaper but that was the best when I bought mine.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Many thanks derek, i've bought some for even cheaper, but im not sure about the quality, my 4.5mm just broke aswell but the rivets dont fit in so smoothly so i've been using a 5.5 which seems to be holding very well, and i may even carry on using it when the 5mm come through BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#233 Posted : 28 May 2013 19:32:49

Update: Tree-nailing

Finally finished planking one side of the ship(95%) feels great to finally get it done when i thought i would of been done weeks ago, but then i realise... still one more side to go AND the under side planking, which ive stripped off, not happy with the work ive done around the stern post and keel, it doesn't have a smooth clean finish with the stern, so im going to attempt to sort that out, but not sure howConfused

Other than that, not sure whether i should start laying the rivets first or add a layer of varnish, i'll probably add a layer of varnish seeing as i only have 159(lost one) rivets and have no reply yet for the 200 rivets im waiting for, but until then i may carry on drilling.. and drilling more holes and finish planking the other side of the ship.

Also reminds me to premake gun ports, that was more of a pain than anything else ThumbDown
Processing - Progressing

claret
#234 Posted : 28 May 2013 21:33:29

Hi Admiral,

Nice looking planking.

Regards
Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
Gandale
#235 Posted : 28 May 2013 22:21:02

Looking Fab Admiral, love the caulking between the planks.... Look forward to seeing your treenailing.....BigGrin BigGrin .. Very well done there.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#236 Posted : 29 May 2013 00:20:01

claret wrote:
Hi Admiral,

Nice looking planking.

Regards
Claret

thanks for the comment claret :)
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#237 Posted : 29 May 2013 00:22:18

Gandale wrote:
Looking Fab Admiral, love the caulking between the planks.... Look forward to seeing your treenailing.....BigGrin BigGrin .. Very well done there.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

thanks alan BigGrin its not perfect all around, stands out in some places more than others but i am pleased with the outcome, give a nice effect BigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#238 Posted : 29 May 2013 01:14:13

Groups:

Hi Admiral
The planking looks brilliant.If it were me,I might be tempted to varnish before treenailing.The first coat of varnish can lift the grain a little so you may need to knock this back with some fine abrasive and apply another coat.This would be almost impossible with the 'rivets' in place.
Kind Regards Nigel
Hans
#239 Posted : 29 May 2013 09:01:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful job there Admiral, when you varnish that grain is going to coem through beautifully. Well done.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Admiral Anti Spiral
#240 Posted : 29 May 2013 23:31:33

Hans wrote:
Beautiful job there Admiral, when you varnish that grain is going to coem through beautifully. Well done.

thanks hans BigGrin i hope it will, just not sure which type of varnish to use yetBlink
Processing - Progressing