Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages «<1112131415>»
Admirals HMS Sovereign of the seas adventure Options
der Gohfelder
#241 Posted : 29 May 2013 23:47:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Admiral!
The planking is looking very nice and shows me what to do !BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Regards, Bernd
Admiral Anti Spiral
#242 Posted : 29 May 2013 23:49:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

finally finished drilling holes in one side, must say my hand is pretty sore from that, took most of the day including yesterday, would of been easier if i marked out where the drill wholes instead of measuring each hole, i did that because i wasn't too keen on having pencil marks on the wood, i didn't want to go through to make effort to sand it all off making the strips thinner but i am pleased with the outcome
ordered around 700 rivets, research does great work, got them even cheaper than last time but the 200 from america should take a while to come. but before i apply them i'll add the upper wales so that i wont overlap any tree nailing along with some varnish.

The holes arn't visible in these images i'll take more pictures eventually but its not easy Glare so in the mean time i'll finish off the other side and will probably cut the planks alot closer to the gun ports instead of sanding and cutting them down after they're applied, just because i found some of them started to come off when filing down.

I think i would of liked a lighter finish on the wood just to make the tree nailing stand out a bit more but im sure i'll be happy anyway, also will probably add 2 more rows of planking because i probably wont paint the wales red.
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
delboy271155
#243 Posted : 30 May 2013 10:33:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Admiral, BigGrin

That`s looking Cool WTG , can`t wait to see the results of the rivets, keep us posted.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

MWG
#244 Posted : 30 May 2013 11:13:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice work AdmiralBigGrin look after those fingures. kind regards, Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Admiral Anti Spiral
#245 Posted : 30 May 2013 17:22:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Admiral, BigGrin

That`s looking Cool WTG , can`t wait to see the results of the rivets, keep us posted.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

me too derekBigGrin many thanks
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#246 Posted : 30 May 2013 17:24:38

MWG wrote:
Very nice work AdmiralBigGrin look after those fingures. kind regards, Mike

ahaha will try mike, thanks for the commentBigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#247 Posted : 30 May 2013 17:31:19

Small update, thinking of doing a modification to the stern but im not sure how to under take it, its something that should of been done long ago before planking but i think its still possible, im looking to cut a section off and put the stern post there instead of the one that will be supplied, seen this on several models and on nigels model and it looks something worth doing, though im not sure how to cut it off, will probably do it with a razor hack saw and sand down the planking with a router.

Im looking to cut the red section and replace it with the stern post which will sit on the keel.
Processing - Progressing

Gandale
#248 Posted : 30 May 2013 22:32:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent work Admiral, really looking good... BigGrin BigGrin .. Like the idea of the stern post modification and to cut it as you describe may be easier and cleaner with small jig saw or even a dremel with cutting disc.... BigGrin BigGrin .. Time for some more experimentation I think.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#249 Posted : 31 May 2013 11:20:00

Gandale wrote:
Excellent work Admiral, really looking good... BigGrin BigGrin .. Like the idea of the stern post modification and to cut it as you describe may be easier and cleaner with small jig saw or even a dremel with cutting disc.... BigGrin BigGrin .. Time for some more experimentation I think.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

thanks alanBigGrin wasn't as hard as i thought, i used a small razor blade from tamiya and a razor saw, next is to just sand it all down
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#250 Posted : 02 June 2013 22:58:22

finally finished the second side, needs a little bit more work and another 2 rows on each side but happy with the outcome, though the planks aren't perfectly placed to mirror the other side of the hull, about 1-2mms off but thankfully the laws of physics only allow you to see one side of the shipBigGrin

Hopefully i have some maple coming tomorrow (along with my long awaited rivets)so i can start on the lower hull, using maple so that i wont have to paint it white and it'll show the texture of the wood hopefully, and maybe even some tree nailingMellow Mellow but i know it'll be an even longer process than the upper hull to completeGlare

Now to drill some holes...

Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#251 Posted : 02 June 2013 23:10:33

Secondly is the stern modification
Cut using a razor saw, not clean at the moment, not easy getting both sides aligned but i'll work on it a bit tomorrow, going to be using some lime for the new stern, that'll also be a test to get all the measurements right but it'll be fun.

Another thing i want to try is some varnishing, i have some matt varnish, satin and antique pine(just for comparison) none of them seem to please me,
As you might be able to tell, matt varnish and satin are barely comparable, up close you can barely see the difference but otherwise useless.
(top normal plank, left matt, middle satin, right pine)

Processing - Progressing

Gandale
#252 Posted : 02 June 2013 23:18:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work Admiral, hope you get your materials soon so you can get started on the lower hull..... BigGrin BigGrin .. Watch out for treenailititis, it hits without warning,,,,LOL LOL Flapper LOL LOL

Regards

Alan

NMBROOK
#253 Posted : 02 June 2013 23:26:37

Groups:

Beautiful work on the first planking AdmiralBigGrin .I see you went for the sternpost modification.Just a suggestion,but if you fit your sternpost after the lower planking you can cut it a very basic oversize shape and then sand to the hull profile when fitted.I wasn't able to do this because I covered it in maple veneer.It is a good idea to put two or three brass dowels in the joint and use epoxy glue.
Kind Regards Nigel
Admiral Anti Spiral
#254 Posted : 03 June 2013 00:34:55

Gandale wrote:
Lovely work Admiral, hope you get your materials soon so you can get started on the lower hull..... BigGrin BigGrin .. Watch out for treenailititis, it hits without warning,,,,LOL LOL Flapper LOL LOL

Regards

Alan

ahahaLOL LOL ''treenailititis'' something i fear with all my heartLOL LOL
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#255 Posted : 03 June 2013 00:40:59

NMBROOK wrote:
Beautiful work on the first planking AdmiralBigGrin .I see you went for the sternpost modification.Just a suggestion,but if you fit your sternpost after the lower planking you can cut it a very basic oversize shape and then sand to the hull profile when fitted.I wasn't able to do this because I covered it in maple veneer.It is a good idea to put two or three brass dowels in the joint and use epoxy glue.
Kind Regards Nigel

thanks nigel, great ideas, i was going to stick it on and just leave 1 or 2mm left but what you've given is probably a better idea, would hate to have ruined it and have to make another, i'll probably have to sand it when its not stuck on as the planks will only be 0.5mm thick, now i wish i had started the planking with something thicker
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#256 Posted : 04 June 2013 23:41:15

Experimenting with the new maple i got, never used this wood before but i do like the look of it, this way i wont have to paint the lower hull and it gives a better look, only problem is tree nailing, not sure how to go about it.

I'd like to use some filler, but i feel it may get into the grain and sanding it down may be a problem as its too thin.

Toothpicks was another idea but they're too big and fairly the same shade as the maple.. and

I could just order some more tree rivets but i think it would be much too many, right now im closely considering using filler, but i've come up with another simple idea which would cost nothing, Simply using the sapele already supplied, cutting it into small splinters with a pointed edge, this way its like a very fragile nail and even though they're not rounded its something very hard to notice if at all noticeable.
Gives a nice effect and roughly the right colour im looking for.

(only the middle two have been tree nailed this way, the rest and just holes)

Processing - Progressing

court orchard
#257 Posted : 04 June 2013 23:47:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's a neat idea, Admiral. The Sapele will split well into little splinters.ThumpUp
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Gandale
#258 Posted : 05 June 2013 00:02:02

Now that's a novell idea but a heck of a lot of work Admiral, especially when you think the cocktail sticks was a time consuming process.... Cool Cool .. Admire you if you go down that route... BigGrin BigGrin .. I have been having a think but not to sure if it would work, am willing to try little experiment to see how it goes... Thinking of .5mm rigging line but with a good coating of bees wax to make it fairly rigid... predrill .5mm holes and see if the line would go into the predrilled holes easy with a little touch of PVA.... Huh Huh .. May be a crazy idea but it is just a thought at this stage....

Good luck with whichever process you decide, build is looking great..... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan

NMBROOK
#259 Posted : 05 June 2013 18:50:46

Groups:

Hi Admiral
That is going to be a massive job.I have been treenailing my wales with 0.5mm copper wire and that was bad enough.The filler would work provided you seal the planking before sanding,then treenail and then sand.You would only have to sand once,and most of it would just be removing filler.I sealed mine with thinned Zap finishing resin but this is not for the faint hearted.If you want to maintain the colour of the Maple you are going to have to be careful what you use on the lower hull as most varnishes have a yellow brown tint that will darken the Maple.All I could suggest is the flat matt clear acrylic from the Admiralty range as they claim it won't change the colour of the wood.I have not used it myself so I can't comment any further.
Kind Regards Nigel
Admiral Anti Spiral
#260 Posted : 06 June 2013 14:02:53

NMBROOK wrote:
Hi Admiral
That is going to be a massive job.I have been treenailing my wales with 0.5mm copper wire and that was bad enough.The filler would work provided you seal the planking before sanding,then treenail and then sand.You would only have to sand once,and most of it would just be removing filler.I sealed mine with thinned Zap finishing resin but this is not for the faint hearted.If you want to maintain the colour of the Maple you are going to have to be careful what you use on the lower hull as most varnishes have a yellow brown tint that will darken the Maple.All I could suggest is the flat matt clear acrylic from the Admiralty range as they claim it won't change the colour of the wood.I have not used it myself so I can't comment any further.
Kind Regards Nigel

Yup it sure is nigel, but if filling the holes turns out too be too big a problem then i'll be happy to just tree nail them with some of the left over sapele, its just the right colour and i wont have to buy anythingBigGrin
I do plan on giving a couple of coats of varnishing afterwards, and while the colour of the maple is great im not too bothered if the colour changes slightly, aslong as its considerably lighter than the sapele planking, though there is some fairly good matt varnishes that dont change colour, i recently got some humbrol matt cote which works well but is a bit thin, i still have loads of planing to do so theres loads of time to find the right varnish, as long as it protects the planking i'll be happy BigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing