Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages «<1213141516>»
Admirals HMS Sovereign of the seas adventure Options
Admiral Anti Spiral
#261 Posted : 06 June 2013 14:25:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Finally starting on the maple planking, very happy with the maple, which it is 0.5 thick its much tougher than the sapele which is great, did the caulking with a pencil which also turns out great, but is a messy job, but sanding down afterwards should turn out fine.

Planking at the bow is getting tough so some work is needed. holding the planks in with nails where the tree nailing will go, nails are 0.5 but i am running out of nails and its hard to find 0.5mm nails, and my 0.45 drill broke, and my new drills dont even break, the just bend which is very annoyingGlare but they can be bent back and still usable until they do snap.

I'd like to start on the wales before tree nailing, but im not sure which wood to use, most woods are too light for my taste and im not looking to stain any wood, right now im looking towards boxwood otherwise i'll just have to get some wood stain.

Started drilling on the right side of the ship, this side will be much more precise and uniform compare to the other side, on the left side i got a bit lazy and didn't line it up, i just did them individually
Before i do the gun ports im looking to paint them, i dont like the colour of the bamboo and i dont want the gun port linings to be right up to the edge of the hull so im buying some brick red paint which will hopefully be the right colour.

Lastly is a picture of another type of rivets i had just gotten, i believe they're for trains but im thinking of using them on the inside of the ship, i could use them on the outside but i much prefer the rivets i already have.

Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
Gandale
#262 Posted : 06 June 2013 22:13:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking great Admiral, how is the Mapel wood to work, shape and sand.... So far I have only had experience of Bamboo, Sapele and Walnut, Sapele is a little brittle for my liking but still easy to work with.... BigGrin BigGrin .. Look forward to seeing more....

Regards

Alan

NMBROOK
#263 Posted : 06 June 2013 23:29:47

Groups:

Really nice work AdmiralBigGrin BigGrin.
Kind Regards Nigel
Admiral Anti Spiral
#264 Posted : 06 June 2013 23:34:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Gandale wrote:
Looking great Admiral, how is the Mapel wood to work, shape and sand.... So far I have only had experience of Bamboo, Sapele and Walnut, Sapele is a little brittle for my liking but still easy to work with.... BigGrin BigGrin .. Look forward to seeing more....

Regards

Alan

Thanks alan, the maple is pretty good i like using it, not brittle like the sapele, it is tougher than sapele so its not as easy to bend but sanding down isn't a problem, for the stern i soaked it for about 10mins and then left it out in the sun for a while and it did keep shape, so far im happy using it and will probably use it alot more in builds BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#265 Posted : 06 June 2013 23:36:16

NMBROOK wrote:
Really nice work AdmiralBigGrin BigGrin.
Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks Nigel BigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#266 Posted : 12 June 2013 14:36:24

Not much to report on, slow working on the planking, i've been waiting for some superglue instead of using wood glue so that i can work faster, but all the glue i've gotten so far is too thin so waiting for some thicker glue to come in, im also finding it tough to get these planks in line and curved for the bow and stern, but the maple bends well around the stern so not much need for hot water.

Also been working on the wales, bought some 1.5mm thick walnut, i was hoping for it to be alot darker as when i ordered it said black walnut but it just seems like normal walnut, so i've got some walnut stain(not used in last picture) and it looks much better, but i dont like using stain as it can be darker in some areas if not applied evenly, i will add the wales last, and be using boxwood for the upper wales.

Lastly been making the upper gun ports smaller 9.5mm x 11mm, after i will smooth it down with some thin wood filler and paint the area black.

From here on im not sure how im going to go about this build, its a great build but i might be making some changes and not following the magazine strictly, the future is uncertain so may be working on it for a long time.
Processing - Progressing

delboy271155
#267 Posted : 12 June 2013 15:49:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Admiral,BigGrin
Looking good, keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

NMBROOK
#268 Posted : 12 June 2013 16:49:54

Groups:

Absolutely first class work so far AdmiralBigGrin BigGrin .It sounds like you might be following me on the long road of extreme modification.I do feel that if you want an out of the box build,this partwork is better quality than most kits of similar subjects,however if you want to create something which matches the reference material available as near as is practical you may end up like me and scratchbuilding the majority.
If you want black or near black wales,other than Ebony your best bet is limewood.I did some experiments with ebony stain from Ronseal.If you precut your wales and leave them in a container full of stain for 2 days they will come out perfectly jet black.You don't get any patchyness with lime as it takes stain really well,unlike the other timbers we use.I was going to use it for the topside planking but found the black boxwood which is easier as there are alot of planks.Unfortunately the black bowood strip is not thick enough for you main wales.If you want really dark but not black wales it might be worth trying a rosewood stain on the lime.
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#269 Posted : 13 June 2013 00:00:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking superb Admiral and am really interested to see how you are now going to progress with your build...Cool Cool .. Wonderful thing I am finding about this hobby is the diversity it has with many modellers and how they attain their finished results.... BigGrin BigGrin .. Simply love your work....

Regards

Alan

Admiral Anti Spiral
#270 Posted : 13 June 2013 13:03:35

NMBROOK wrote:
Absolutely first class work so far AdmiralBigGrin BigGrin .It sounds like you might be following me on the long road of extreme modification.I do feel that if you want an out of the box build,this partwork is better quality than most kits of similar subjects,however if you want to create something which matches the reference material available as near as is practical you may end up like me and scratchbuilding the majority.
If you want black or near black wales,other than Ebony your best bet is limewood.I did some experiments with ebony stain from Ronseal.If you precut your wales and leave them in a container full of stain for 2 days they will come out perfectly jet black.You don't get any patchyness with lime as it takes stain really well,unlike the other timbers we use.I was going to use it for the topside planking but found the black boxwood which is easier as there are alot of planks.Unfortunately the black bowood strip is not thick enough for you main wales.If you want really dark but not black wales it might be worth trying a rosewood stain on the lime.
Kind Regards Nigel

Many thanks nigel, im a bit of a perfectionist always trying to get things as realistic as i can or as close to the reference given, so i probably will be following you down the line of modifications, i dont mind all the work too much as in the future i'll be wanting to be making scratch model ships so it'll be a good experience to start a bit of scratch building here.
Initially i wanted black wales and was going to get some ronseal ebony stain but now that i see the walnut wales i've made with walnut stain i quite like them, the fact they're dark brown gives more of a wooden look rather than complete black, though i wont be fitting them until i've painted the upper hull black, i might like the look of black wales matching with the painted upper hull so i will keep your great information in mind BigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#271 Posted : 13 June 2013 13:06:55

Gandale wrote:
Looking superb Admiral and am really interested to see how you are now going to progress with your build...Cool Cool .. Wonderful thing I am finding about this hobby is the diversity it has with many modellers and how they attain their finished results.... BigGrin BigGrin .. Simply love your work....

Regards

Alan

Thanks alan! im also very interested in how this will come along as i dont have great experience in model ships, but thanks to the great forums and sites of model ships there is certainly no lack of information to find BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#272 Posted : 18 June 2013 16:40:24

Sllloowwllyy moving on with the planking, i should be working on this alot faster than i do but i think planking is slowly getting to me.. no idea when the second side will be finished, but im considering starting on it before the other side is finished.
I was hoping on just keeping the planks uncut but it would take some extreme bending, though i realised i could get a greater curve with the planks if i just left them out to dry for longer Blink

The superglue is a great help, sticks in no time and its helpful for those tricky bends and curves, sticks in 10-20 seconds, after that you can just leave it and get to working on the next planks which is why i dont know i work so slow Glare

God knows when the next update will be, i may start working up from the keel up to make sure they both meet up smoothly.
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#273 Posted : 18 June 2013 22:05:42

Groups:

Looking great AdmiralBigGrin BigGrin You will still be admiring it long after you have forgotten how long it took.
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#274 Posted : 18 June 2013 23:13:20

Hi Admiral, that is coming along just beautifully.... Drool Drool .. Well worth the time and effort regardless how long it takes.... Cool Cool .. Love it....Love Love ..

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#275 Posted : 22 June 2013 14:31:43

Thanks nigel and alanBigGrin , its a great ship and glad i'm building it, though im a very impatient personLOL hopefully i'll be building ships for a long time so im sure i'll get that hang of it soon!
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#276 Posted : 22 June 2013 14:51:28

New update, working on the bow, barely done any planking at all, nice to be doing something different, the planking can be finished at any time so no rush.

Started by making a new hole for the bowsprit, slightly off just so it'll come into contact with the top of the keel where the statue of the lion and cupid will go, then building up with some simple wood, just some pine i bought from B&Q, the deck will rest there.

Also cut away the front bulkhead, some how i'll be adding the slightly curved bulkhead with a cut out door and if i can manage to fit them, 6 gun ports. the bow area is all very confusing to me on how it should be, so i'll be following as Doris has done it on her ship(simply because i'll have some images to follow, i'll keep the beak deck where it is and also be using some smaller gratings eventually.

I'll also be redoing all my middle deck wires and beams, if i can manage i'll the beams slightly curved and the wiring more clean.

also got the nice figures in issue 42 from WHS, must of been some kind of battle in there seeing as they only have ONE ARM... anyone else with this problem?
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#277 Posted : 22 June 2013 15:10:28

Groups:

Hi Admiral
I see your taking the plunge and going for it!!Good work mateBigGrin BigGrin.With the mods your thinking of I cannot recommend Busmann's book enough if you can find one secondhand.To be honest in comparison to Septons book they are chaulk and cheese.For this reason I can understand you using Doris's model as a guide,it is beyond belief what she can do with cardboard.There is another even better model made by someone in Germany.I found it through google images to find the website.If you need any pointers with your mods please don't hesitate to ask,I will be glad to help.
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#278 Posted : 22 June 2013 23:07:22

Hi Admiral, I have nothing but the deepest admiration of you for attempting the modifications you have undertaken to the bow.... Drool Drool .. At this stage in my model building experience I'm afraid I wouldn't have the courage to undertake such a mod... Will be watching your progress very closely and wish you all the best with it... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#279 Posted : 23 June 2013 20:37:35

NMBROOK wrote:
Hi Admiral
I see your taking the plunge and going for it!!Good work mateBigGrin BigGrin.With the mods your thinking of I cannot recommend Busmann's book enough if you can find one secondhand.To be honest in comparison to Septons book they are chaulk and cheese.For this reason I can understand you using Doris's model as a guide,it is beyond belief what she can do with cardboard.There is another even better model made by someone in Germany.I found it through google images to find the website.If you need any pointers with your mods please don't hesitate to ask,I will be glad to help.
Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks nigel, i had a look for one of the books but they're not as cheap as i thought, but i think you're right i'll probably be needing it so i'll try get one asap, until then i'll keep track of your very helpful build and knowledge! (p.s i'd love a link to that build if you canBigGrin )
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#280 Posted : 23 June 2013 20:41:48

Gandale wrote:
Hi Admiral, I have nothing but the deepest admiration of you for attempting the modifications you have undertaken to the bow.... Drool Drool .. At this stage in my model building experience I'm afraid I wouldn't have the courage to undertake such a mod... Will be watching your progress very closely and wish you all the best with it... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Many thanks alan, i completely understand, this is my first serious build so im just hoping i dont mess it up, im being very cautious as to what i do to it, but i believe/hope i'd be able to fix any mistakesBigGrin thanks again!
Processing - Progressing