Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<1314151617>»
Gibbo's DelPrado Victory Build Options
Gibbo
#281 Posted : 23 November 2021 12:21:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

goddo wrote:
[quote=Gibbo]Hi Tom
If you want the 1/84 scale try here https://www.woodysmodelworks.co.uk/victory.html#/[/quote]

You will have to be quick and very lucky now.
The website states that they have discontinued HMS Victory parts and just selling off their remaining stock.
It's a shame because I've had a few bits and pieces from them and it was all good quality.

Thanks Goddo but plymouth 57 is going to continue the build the build.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
tom.ganc
#282 Posted : 23 November 2021 15:25:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Just checked the website and the stuff I need is gone... Crying

What can you do...

On another hand have you got any details where would I get more accurate and in scale rigging blocks?

Thanks
Tom

Gibbo wrote:
goddo wrote:
[quote=Gibbo]Hi Tom
If you want the 1/84 scale try here https://www.woodysmodelworks.co.uk/victory.html#/[/quote]

You will have to be quick and very lucky now.
The website states that they have discontinued HMS Victory parts and just selling off their remaining stock.
It's a shame because I've had a few bits and pieces from them and it was all good quality.

Thanks Goddo but plymouth 57 is going to continue the build the build.

goddo
#283 Posted : 23 November 2021 15:55:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

[quote=tom.ganc]Just checked the website and the stuff I need is gone... Crying
What can you do...
On another hand have you got any details where would I get more accurate and in scale rigging blocks?
Thanks
Tom[quote]

As far as the gun rigging is concerned, I fitted 2mm blocks instead of the ones supplied in the kit.
In my opinion, they look much more to scale. Each to their own.
I bought mine from a modelling shop and also Cornwall Boats but stocks are very low these days, as is everything else. First world problems......
Chris

tom.ganc
#284 Posted : 23 November 2021 17:17:41

Hi
Yes got them too 2mm singles and 3mm doubles I think. I used single blocks on each side of the cannon and doubles at the rear.

I was more thinking about other blocks that are used. They seem bit low quality and as I'm thinking about using my own ropes I may go for the new blocks too. There is few changed things for example they way bowsprit is rigged to the keel, magazine uses double blocks and in reality they are heart blocks there. Just small things that make huuuuge difference as you know ;)

Regards
Tom

[quote=goddo][quote=tom.ganc]Just checked the website and the stuff I need is gone... Crying
What can you do...
Thanks
Tom
Quote:

As far as the gun rigging is concerned, I fitted 2mm blocks instead of the ones supplied in the kit.
I bought mine from a modelling shop and also Cornwall Boats but stocks are very low these days, as is everything else. First world problems......
Chris

Gibbo
#285 Posted : 23 November 2021 20:25:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

tom.ganc wrote:
Hi
Yes got them too 2mm singles and 3mm doubles I think. I used single blocks on each side of the cannon and doubles at the rear.

I was more thinking about other blocks that are used. They seem bit low quality and as I'm thinking about using my own ropes I may go for the new blocks too. There is few changed things for example they way bowsprit is rigged to the keel, magazine uses double blocks and in reality they are heart blocks there. Just small things that make huuuuge difference as you know ;)

Regards
Tom

[quote=goddo][quote=tom.ganc]Just checked the website and the stuff I need is gone... Crying
What can you do...
Thanks
Tom
Quote:

Chris

You could try here
http://www.shipwrightsho...tatic-Ship-Fittings.html
Gibbo
#286 Posted : 23 November 2021 20:32:52

Just a quick update, the skid beams have been very lightly glued in place in case one of the crew falls over with scurvy or some such ailment and he can be treated urgently, i think the next step is the bow i've been putting it off way too long now.
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
DSC_2647.JPG
Gibbo
#287 Posted : 25 November 2021 01:21:19

Well after thinking long and hard about the bow area ( and i do mean long, it's been a few years now ), i have decided to raid the Heller kit and use the plastic ones, i've tried various things with mocking up and so on but what i had originally made for it just didn't sit right, and the original kit didn't supply them, somebody had already painted the Heller parts without any prep so they will be cleaned up and re-painted, on the verticals i intend to glue on pre-painted sapele strips for hopefully a nice clean finish, i have taken off the top supplied metal strips and preped the hull for painting and will have to make good some of the elements around it, it's not going to be perfect as per the ship itself and there's going to be a bit of jiggery pokkery, but hopefully i can get to a point where i'm happy with it.
DSC_2649.JPG
DSC_2651.JPG
DSC_2654.JPG
Gibbo
#288 Posted : 29 November 2021 21:56:16

A strip of 5mm X 0.5mm Sapele was cut down lengthways to 3.2mm and painted yellow ochre, it was then taped down and the edges were taped off lengthways and the centre painted blue ( not the proper french blue i might add ) but to match the not proper blue on the heads, it was then cut down to match the verticals and superglued onto the bow sections.
DSC_2655.JPG
DSC_2656.JPG
DSC_2659.JPG
tom.ganc
#289 Posted : 01 December 2021 09:54:54

Hiya as always it looks great.
Good idea about the way of doing it and it certainly makes a difference :)

Happy build ;)

Tom
goddo
#290 Posted : 01 December 2021 11:00:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Good use of resources there. Brilliant.
Chris
Plymouth57
#291 Posted : 01 December 2021 21:13:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work there Paul!Cool Cool
I can remember having to scratch build that part on mine - a nightmare getting the ribs the right shape (including the one missing from the kit) and then the curved bits in between! I had to look back to see how I did the blue stripes (many years ago for me too!) I used decal paper and painted it blue before cutting it into strips - pretty similar system (great minds and all that)BigGrin
Keep them coming!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gibbo
#292 Posted : 02 December 2021 00:18:16

Plymouth57 wrote:
Nice work there Paul!Cool Cool
I can remember having to scratch build that part on mine - a nightmare getting the ribs the right shape (including the one missing from the kit) and then the curved bits in between! I had to look back to see how I did the blue stripes (many years ago for me too!) I used decal paper and painted it blue before cutting it into strips - pretty similar system (great minds and all that)BigGrin
Keep them coming!

Robin.

Thanks Robin, i printed out a picture of yours a few years ago which i still have, i was hoping to do something similar in wood, but alas no.
Paul
Gibbo
#293 Posted : 03 December 2021 21:26:32

The plastic Heller Bow has now been superglued in, the piece that goes up to the forecastle was left until the lower half had set fully, this was sitting slighty high and forward so then had to be pulled down a bit and superglued and pinned with some planking pins, the scroll at the front is sitting further forward than i had hoped and will probably interfere with the figurehead, but that's for another day, i need to touch up some paintwork and we'll take the rest from there.
DSC_2661.JPG
DSC_2662.JPG
DSC_2662.JPG
DSC_2664.JPG
tom.ganc
#294 Posted : 03 December 2021 22:48:48

It certainly looks good. Nobody who tried dealing with this fiddly parts will understand how tricky it is to get results this good.

Great job and we wait for more...

Regards

Tom
Gibbo
#295 Posted : 04 December 2021 20:55:50

tom.ganc wrote:
It certainly looks good. Nobody who tried dealing with this fiddly parts will understand how tricky it is to get results this good.

Great job and we wait for more...

Regards

Tom

Thanks Tom, your comments are much appreciated.
Gibbo
#296 Posted : 04 December 2021 21:35:25

After fitting the Heller bow section there was a gap between that and the marines walk, didn't want my guys coming out of the head on a force 9 and sliding off the front of the ship so i glued some planking material to the sides and shaped them to the new bow section, i also made some templates for the squiggly bits ( don't know what they're called ) that go on top of that, don't know what material i'll end up with for these but have glued some planks together as a first attempt and we'll see how that pans out.
20211204_165256 (2).jpg
20211204_170854 (2).jpg
20211204_175457 (2).jpg
20211204_175605 (2).jpg
goddo
#297 Posted : 05 December 2021 18:44:26

Hi Paul,
I had a "Right Old Time" getting those parts shaped and painted. Yours are coming along nicely.
Chris
Gibbo
#298 Posted : 06 December 2021 01:45:17

Thank you Chris, the glued planks worked a treat, i made some adjustments to them after looking at some pictures, they're not as fat as that as it runs forward, in fact they're nearly level with the deck and i didn't want to go there, and the part closest to the head is a bit wider, it was good because it gave me a bit more room to paint the teeny tiny stripes, i had to bend them ever so slightly to coincide with the curve by soaking the ends and using a soldering iron with a plank bending attachment bit by bit so the glue didn't melt and make them fall apart, i also extended the marines walk with some grating i had lying around.
20211205_233028.jpg
20216206_001643.jpg
20211205_243102.jpg
20211206_001611.jpg
Gibbo
#299 Posted : 07 December 2021 01:19:43

Before i attach what i call "the squiggly bits" i attached some 2mm eyebolts to the bow post and the side of the heads and a Caldercraft stanchion in between, then i attached some eyebolts on the deck which i shall run through some thread and then make a template to sew on the netting.
File Attachment(s):
20211206_234245 (2).jpg (2,042kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
Gibbo
#300 Posted : 07 December 2021 01:21:36

Oops, forgot to resize.
20211206_234245 (2).jpg