Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages «<1314151617>»
Admirals HMS Sovereign of the seas adventure Options
Admiral Anti Spiral
#281 Posted : 23 June 2013 20:58:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Another modification has come, after having a look at nigels build i've realised whats possible now, i thought it would be well worth slightly doing as hes done with the stern and taken out the big frame, at this point i dont think it was much needed anyway, as i cut the top piece out i realised i never glued the top two vertical pieces in properly, i was sure it was secure yet it came out quite easily.. whoops..LOL LOL

I took this top piece of the frame out so now instead of using 6 leds i can now use 2, this reduces the amount of energy needed so now i can add leds elsewhere, and will make the lighting look more natural seeing as there isn't 6 bright dots sticking out, instead i'll be adding 2 'decks' where i'll stick an led in the center, its not as bad as it looks, it should hold just the same as it did before the big hole was made.

Now that i've removed the wires (which was like some kind of surgery, not including the part where i had to use a flame on the end of a stick for the heat strinking tube in the middle of the shipBlink) it gives me a chance to clean out the ship of all the sawdust, also instead of using so many wires i may find some copper foil instead, makes it much cleaner and simpler. I'll probably do this last before fitting the deck. until then, more planking and working on the bow.. and probably no more big holesBigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
claret
#282 Posted : 23 June 2013 21:02:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Wow Admiral,

Respect, thats some modding.Drool

I thought I was being brave tree nailingBigGrin

Watching you diary with interest.

Regards
Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
NMBROOK
#283 Posted : 23 June 2013 21:25:27

Groups:

Hi Admiral
The model is in the finished build gallery of a german forum.As its all german I haven't looked to see if he has a build log.However there are four pages of pictures.Unfortunately as I am useless on computers I don't know how to post a link so here is the address;
shipmodeling.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=1172&page=1

Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#284 Posted : 23 June 2013 22:56:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

First class Admiral and very brave.... very well done...BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
court orchard
#285 Posted : 24 June 2013 08:34:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Brave indeed, we'll done though, I am watching with interest.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Admiral Anti Spiral
#286 Posted : 27 June 2013 00:44:28

claret wrote:
Wow Admiral,

Respect, thats some modding.Drool

I thought I was being brave tree nailingBigGrin

Watching you diary with interest.

Regards
Claret

ahah i thought taking on tree nailing was going to be mad and now i've gone and done this.. hope i dont get carried away!LOL thanks!
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#287 Posted : 27 June 2013 00:45:30

NMBROOK wrote:
Hi Admiral
The model is in the finished build gallery of a german forum.As its all german I haven't looked to see if he has a build log.However there are four pages of pictures.Unfortunately as I am useless on computers I don't know how to post a link so here is the address;
shipmodeling.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=1172&page=1

Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks nigel, i did see a bit of that model before but not as many images as this, its a great help thank you very much!BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#288 Posted : 27 June 2013 00:46:37

Thanks alan and andy, its a new challenge to take on so its pretty fun! more to come soon!BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#289 Posted : 30 June 2013 15:29:02

some work has gone on, not much, been working on the bow bulkhead, getting the curves right, used some limewood for it, wasn't easy, would of been nice to use some harder wood, eventually i'll have to get some more tools to make the jobs easier, looking forward to getting a frewsaw/scroll saw and a disc sander some day, will be needing it for the deck beams if i want them to have a slight curve. Moving on to planking it, this is just the first layer, i may plank over it with some boxwood though im not sure which size im going to go with yet, the decks will also be planked in boxwood.

Other than that, work has been done on the stern and went ahead and removed the bulkheads, easier now than when the decks are fitted, i'll also be building up making these walls thicker.. aannnd not much hull planking done, but soon i'll have to commit to finishing it and hopefully get it done soon!
Processing - Progressing

Gandale
#290 Posted : 30 June 2013 16:30:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Wow Admiral, you really have gone to town on her... will be watching with a gret deal of interest to see how it all works out... You have my admiration and respect here....Cool Cool Cool Keep showing your progress...

Regards

Alan
NMBROOK
#291 Posted : 30 June 2013 16:43:21

Groups:

Nice work AdmiralBigGrin BigGrin .May I suggest now is the ideal opportunity to double check the upper deck gunport height.I am lowering my deck slightly so the guns sit lower in the ports.By rights when the cannon is horizontal it should be just above the lower cill.As the model is designed they come out more or less in the middle and this is incorrect.I thought I would mention this as I think you will be probably using a cambered deck beam of your own so you may be adjusting the tops of the bulkheads anyway.As regards scrollsaws,don't spend loads on one,I got mine from B&Q for 60 quid.It was pants when I first used it until I bought some decent blades,instead of the one supplied,now it's spot on.Whilst proxxon is good for some things the accuracy of a scroll saw is down to the blade and the user,not the price of the machine.
Kind Regards Nigel

stujue
#292 Posted : 30 June 2013 19:02:03

looking good admiral. ThumpUp
Cheers Stu
Admiral Anti Spiral
#293 Posted : 30 June 2013 22:29:21

Gandale wrote:
Wow Admiral, you really have gone to town on her... will be watching with a gret deal of interest to see how it all works out... You have my admiration and respect here....Cool Cool Cool Keep showing your progress...

Regards

Alan

Thanks a bunch Alan! it should look alot simpler and cleaner once the 3rd deck has been put in, shouldn't be long now! BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

court orchard
#294 Posted : 30 June 2013 22:32:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice job Admiral. Looks like some interesting mods going on there.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Admiral Anti Spiral
#295 Posted : 30 June 2013 22:50:51

NMBROOK wrote:
Nice work AdmiralBigGrin BigGrin .May I suggest now is the ideal opportunity to double check the upper deck gunport height.I am lowering my deck slightly so the guns sit lower in the ports.By rights when the cannon is horizontal it should be just above the lower cill.As the model is designed they come out more or less in the middle and this is incorrect.I thought I would mention this as I think you will be probably using a cambered deck beam of your own so you may be adjusting the tops of the bulkheads anyway.As regards scrollsaws,don't spend loads on one,I got mine from B&Q for 60 quid.It was pants when I first used it until I bought some decent blades,instead of the one supplied,now it's spot on.Whilst proxxon is good for some things the accuracy of a scroll saw is down to the blade and the user,not the price of the machine.
Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks nigel, a good point! i had already checked and the ports were far too low but i wasn't sure what to do, so i was simply going to make the deck thinner, but i think it would probably be better to lower the deck as you say for more accuracy though i may scrap the idea of leds on this deck as the gap between the two would only be smaller. as for the scollsaw im not looking to spend much money, the cheapest i've seen is £70 and looks of good quality so im considering it, but proxxon is far too expensive, but maybe in the future i'll get one ^^ BigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#296 Posted : 30 June 2013 22:53:24

Many thanks for the comments stu and andy BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#297 Posted : 30 June 2013 22:58:15

Groups:

Admiral Anti Spiral wrote:
NMBROOK wrote:
Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks nigel, a good point! i had already checked and the ports were far too low but i wasn't sure what to do, so i was simply going to make the deck thinner, but i think it would probably be better to lower the deck as you say for more accuracy though i may scrap the idea of leds on this deck as the gap between the two would only be smaller. as for the scollsaw im not looking to spend much money, the cheapest i've seen is £70 and looks of good quality so im considering it, but proxxon is far too expensive, but maybe in the future i'll get one ^^ BigGrin BigGrin

Hi Admiral,you may have misunderstood me.The scrollsaw I got from B&Q is great with some decent blades and is £60.Definately wouldn't waste my money on a proxxon one.
Kind Regards Nigel
Admiral Anti Spiral
#298 Posted : 30 June 2013 23:39:38

NMBROOK wrote:
Admiral Anti Spiral wrote:
NMBROOK wrote:
Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Admiral,you may have misunderstood me.The scrollsaw I got from B&Q is great with some decent blades and is £60.Definately wouldn't waste my money on a proxxon one.
Kind Regards Nigel

no no i understood, i guess i should of sentenced it better, i was simply saying proxxon is expensive BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#299 Posted : 11 July 2013 13:28:26

More modifications, which means more problems, and more solutions

So now im moving onto the stern because planking is being a pain, ive had to make the same plank about 3 times now but hopefully after i get this plank right it'll be smooth sailing from there on. As for the stern the picture should be self explanatory, ive already gone ahead and cut out the top missing gun port, which seemed alot easier to cut than before, then i've gone and blocked up all the holes and the windows i cut, they'll need to be lower than previously, and the frame wont be as strong as before so i'll have to figure out how to cut the windows for the led light to come through, as well as the two windows(blue). i'll also be cutting out the two lower gun ports, though i dont want them to be too low because then it confuses me on where the deck would be for these cannons, so i'll make them as small as possible, and also be changing the angle of the stern back wall to a more steeper angle.

Here i've filled the top of the hull because i want to get rid of all the holes i drilled, this is where i'll paint the top black, i should of thought ahead but no worries its fixed. then i'm thickening the side walls which will be planked with boxwood painted red eventually.

Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#300 Posted : 11 July 2013 18:05:16

Groups:

Some very interesting and exciting work going on here Admiral.The windows in the hull is another reason I want to get the carving layout sussed on my model.There is a small window that you have missed.It is within one of the carvings above the cupolas.You may not be able to make it out in Septon's book.You can see it clearly in Bill Short's log on MSW.You will find everything is a bit of a juggling act with the stern in that you are trying to make it faithful to the artwork,but some compromises have to be made due to the hull form we are given.This happened again when I fitted the horizontal pear strip.According to the artwork it should meet the side gallery at the top,but if I had curved it round to meet that point it would just look wrong.You will discover that this aspect can make mods harder than a scratchbuild.
Kind Regards Nigel