Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages «<1516171819>»
Admirals HMS Sovereign of the seas adventure Options
Martyn Ingram
#321 Posted : 21 July 2013 07:51:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi Admiral BigGrin The planking looks bril well done ThumpUp Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#322 Posted : 21 July 2013 10:39:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi, cant see anything wrong with the planking nice job there
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#323 Posted : 21 July 2013 11:07:50

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nicely done there Admiral, planking is looking great.... Cool Cool .. Will admit, I too found it tricky in places but carry on doing as you are doing, taking your time and I'm positive you will get there with fab results...BigGrin BigGrin .. For me I just concentrated on one row at a time trying to mirror the first completed side and for the most part it worked out.... Cool Cool .. Keep up the great work....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#324 Posted : 21 July 2013 23:48:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

NMBROOK wrote:
Good Work AdmiralCool Cool You may find it easier to finish the other side off,to first start at the keel and work upwards,this is how I did it.Because of the relatively flat bottom it is quite an easy job to take measurements from each side of the keel to ensure that the planks are the same both sides.You will end up with a 'grey area then where the hull turns the corner upwards but by that time you will only have a few planks left.on the last section it is simply a question of measuring the remaining gap as you lay each plank to check it corresponds to the other side.Any really awkward bits,I find it better to shape a group of planks and trial fit first altogether before committing to glue.It is easy enough to find that the second to last plank you shaped wants to go in the recycling.If it's glued on it's a swine to get off.
Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks nigel! i started at the bottom when i started getting close coming down to the keel with the planks, but i think when that gap started getting smaller and things didn't match up it got difficult, most of it probably wont be seen but next time i'll try make it perfect, i only have one tricky curved plank to put in and hopefully after that it'll be smooth sailing, and i have many mis-shaped planks in need of the bin ahaha, may have to order more LOL
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
Admiral Anti Spiral
#325 Posted : 21 July 2013 23:49:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Hi Admiral BigGrin The planking looks bril well done ThumpUp Rgd Martyn

Thanks martyn BigGrin im fairly pleased with the outcome BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#326 Posted : 21 July 2013 23:50:30

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi, cant see anything wrong with the planking nice job there
AndyCool

Thanks for saying so andyBigGrin but i guess as a perfectionist i always think i could of done better considering all the great models out there LOL
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#327 Posted : 21 July 2013 23:53:39

Gandale wrote:
Very nicely done there Admiral, planking is looking great.... Cool Cool .. Will admit, I too found it tricky in places but carry on doing as you are doing, taking your time and I'm positive you will get there with fab results...BigGrin BigGrin .. For me I just concentrated on one row at a time trying to mirror the first completed side and for the most part it worked out.... Cool Cool .. Keep up the great work....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan

Thank you very much alanBigGrin BigGrin i guess planking is atleast for me the trickiest part of building a ship, even though this is only my second modelBlink, i try to take my time but im so impatient ahaha none the less im sure i'll finish the second side soon, i try to do one row at a time but if it gets tricky i just move on and plank the next layer if possible, thanks againBigGrin
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#328 Posted : 21 July 2013 23:54:30

Groups:

Admiral Anti Spiral wrote:
NMBROOK wrote:
Good Work AdmiralCool Cool You may find it easier to finish the other side off,to first start at the keel and work upwards,this is how I did it.Because of the relatively flat bottom it is quite an easy job to take measurements from each side of the keel to ensure that the planks are the same both sides.You will end up with a 'grey area then where the hull turns the corner upwards but by that time you will only have a few planks left.on the last section it is simply a question of measuring the remaining gap as you lay each plank to check it corresponds to the other side.Any really awkward bits,I find it better to shape a group of planks and trial fit first altogether before committing to glue.It is easy enough to find that the second to last plank you shaped wants to go in the recycling.If it's glued on it's a swine to get off.
Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks nigel! i started at the bottom when i started getting close coming down to the keel with the planks, but i think when that gap started getting smaller and things didn't match up it got difficult, most of it probably wont be seen but next time i'll try make it perfect, i only have one tricky curved plank to put in and hopefully after that it'll be smooth sailing, and i have many mis-shaped planks in need of the bin ahaha, may have to order more LOL

Don't worry about it Admiral,I have sent many a piece for recyclingLOL LOL Thats the best thing about using your own planking instead of the kit's,its easy to get some more.
Kind Regards Nigel
Admiral Anti Spiral
#329 Posted : 26 July 2013 19:53:25

before i start plotting out the deck height i need to work on what cannons i'll be using, as nice as the cannons supplied are to have, i dont believe the carriages are very accurate, so i've found a typical gun carriage (of which i hope to be 17th century) and im going to attempt to make it to scale(i've just realised its probably far too tall) this im not sure on how to do because im not very good with scales and ratios but none the less should be a fun project Blink

Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#330 Posted : 26 July 2013 20:02:42

Groups:

Hi Admiral
Do you have septon's book?There is a drawing of the sovereigns carriage in there.
Kind Regards Nigel
Admiral Anti Spiral
#331 Posted : 26 July 2013 20:46:02

NMBROOK wrote:
Hi Admiral
Do you have septon's book?There is a drawing of the sovereigns carriage in there.
Kind Regards Nigel

not yet lol, im a bit short on money at the moment but hopefully soon! though i tried my best to have a look at the carriages in arthur molles model but its not that easy to get an image of.
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#332 Posted : 26 July 2013 20:51:08

Groups:

Admiral Anti Spiral wrote:
NMBROOK wrote:
Hi Admiral
Kind Regards Nigel

not yet lol, im a bit short on money at the moment but hopefully soon! though i tried my best to have a look at the carriages in arthur molles model but its not that easy to get an image of.

When I have finished eating my tea,I will sort something out.
Kind Regards Nigel
NMBROOK
#333 Posted : 26 July 2013 21:11:25

Groups:

Hi Admiral
I have included a picture of the drg and a photo of one of the cannons.This is one of the small cannons but the larger ones are exactly the same style.The important thing about the carriages is they all only have wheels on the front.At the rear is a removable wooden bogie so that elevation could be increased even further.Hope this is of some help.
Kind Regards Nigel
NMBROOK attached the following image(s):
z53.JPG
z52.JPG
Admiral Anti Spiral
#334 Posted : 26 July 2013 22:26:25

wow thats pretty interesting nigel and thank you very much for that, i dont think i've ever seen a carriage like that for bigger cannons, especially not on a model but hey you learn something new all the time, something like this will be a great addition to the sovereignBigGrin BigGrin thanks againLove Drool
Processing - Progressing

Gandale
#335 Posted : 26 July 2013 22:57:07

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Admiral, I'm going to be very interested to see how your scratch built gun carriages turn out..Cool Cool .. What material you going use for the carriages, I'm thinking of oak or walnut and I have deliberately not built the supplied ones with the view of replacing them....BigGrin BigGrin .. Good luck with your new found project.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#336 Posted : 27 July 2013 00:07:04

Gandale wrote:
Hi Admiral, I'm going to be very interested to see how your scratch built gun carriages turn out..Cool Cool .. What material you going use for the carriages, I'm thinking of oak or walnut and I have deliberately not built the supplied ones with the view of replacing them....BigGrin BigGrin .. Good luck with your new found project.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thanks alan, not quite sure yet, im probably thinking boxwood but im probably going to paint them red too so im not sure if theres much point in bothering with wood, as long as its good qualityBigGrin
Processing - Progressing

claret
#337 Posted : 27 July 2013 09:39:14

Hi Admiral,

Lovely plankingDrool

Modify the gun carriages, more work, but it will be worth it and it adds your own signature to the build. Keep them coming.

Regards
Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
Hans
#338 Posted : 30 July 2013 21:56:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow that is a huge difference in the pieces supplied. The diagram looks way more intricate and correct. Thanks Nigel. Good luck Admiral we join your pain.BigGrin
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Admiral Anti Spiral
#339 Posted : 31 July 2013 13:52:54

claret wrote:
Hi Admiral,

Lovely plankingDrool

Modify the gun carriages, more work, but it will be worth it and it adds your own signature to the build. Keep them coming.

Regards
Claret

Thanks claret, and yeah ahaha more workBlink but i guess thats the point so i can make it my own ship even though it'd be nice to have it as close to the real thing as possible, we'll just have to do with what we have, thanksBigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#340 Posted : 31 July 2013 13:54:01

Hans wrote:
Wow that is a huge difference in the pieces supplied. The diagram looks way more intricate and correct. Thanks Nigel. Good luck Admiral we join your pain.BigGrin

it'll probably be hard to replicate it at such detail but overall the difference is clear, should be a fun little project some dayBigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing