Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Tamiya AS20 Alternative Options
Metal Mech
#21 Posted : 01 February 2016 15:48:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I found one site claiming it will be back in stock in the 17th of March. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people bought it up for falcon models. Especially considering one can will not be enough for this build

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
BradM73
#22 Posted : 02 February 2016 04:57:31

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I just called a local hobby shop today because they told me a few weeks ago that they might get some in last week. They told me it was being discontinued by Tamiya, buy the Tamiya rep I heard back from via e-mail just said it was currently unavailable with no ETA on when they would be restocking.

It's kind of frustrating not knowing.
Metal Mech
#23 Posted : 02 February 2016 14:43:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I looked up their AS paints on their web store. About 75% of the AS line is listed as "temporarily out of stock" not a single one is listed as discontinued.

Also it's my understanding the the reason that Tamyia paints are the ones being listed in the instructions is because DeAg worked a deal with them. I don't think I they would list paints as official colors if they were being discontinued

DeAgostini kit builds:

BradM73
#24 Posted : 02 February 2016 21:54:15

Well, the hobby store told me it was being discontinued after I had placed an order for five cans. He said his sales rep told him that.

In contrast to his statement, the direct e-mail response from Tamiya in response to my inquiry of the availability of AS-20 Insignia White is as follows:

"Dear Tamiya Customer,

Unfortunately, this item is not yet available in the U.S. market due to pending federal testing, approval and labeling as required by the Consumer Product Safety Commission; there is no confirmed release date at this time.

Thank you,

Tamiya America
Customer Service"
Metal Mech
#25 Posted : 02 February 2016 22:21:34

BradM73 wrote:
Well, the hobby store told me it was being discontinued after I had placed an order for five cans. He said his sales rep told him that.

In contrast to his statement, the direct e-mail response from Tamiya in response to my inquiry of the availability of AS-20 Insignia White is as follows:

"Dear Tamiya Customer,

Unfortunately, this item is not yet available in the U.S. market due to pending federal testing, approval and labeling as required by the Consumer Product Safety Commission; there is no confirmed release date at this time.

Thank you,

Tamiya America
Customer Service"

I find that odd because they paint has been available in the US before. I even believe I saw it on the shelf at my friends hobby store. Gonna ask him to check it out. I wonder if they changed something and had to get the paint retested.

DeAgostini kit builds:

greyhawk
#26 Posted : 02 February 2016 23:48:46

Metal Mech wrote:
I wonder if they changed something and had to get the paint retested.

Not them, the standards changed. There's a new standard test for aspiration potential of pressurized aerosol paints recently released.

http://www.astmnewsroom....default.aspx?pageid=3742
BradM73
#27 Posted : 03 February 2016 04:00:15

Well, if the standards changed and their products fail the new tests, they will need to change the product slightly and retest until they pass. I believe these are the same as a series of ASTM changes over the past 5-10 years to try to get rid of different kinds of aerosols, freons, etc. All we can do is wait and hope that it becomes available soon.
rj1265
#28 Posted : 03 February 2016 21:15:56

I finally made a choice (lol) and have ordered the DOA Base Set ,after reading the good reviews of them on this forum.
On the WorkBench : DeAg Millennium Falcon , Deag R2-D2
To Build : various 1/72 , 1/32 WW II Military Planes
Nytetrain
#29 Posted : 03 February 2016 22:53:55

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

greyhawk wrote:

Metal Mech wrote:
I wonder if they changed something and had to get the paint retested.

Not them, the standards changed. There's a new standard test for aspiration potential of pressurized aerosol paints recently released.

http://www.astmnewsroom....efault.aspx?pageid=3742

All this article talks about is whether the products need warning labels or not and if child safety caps need to be put on them. If that's the case we will never paint another model with Tamiya rattle cans because none of us will be able to get the cap off.Flapper LOL LOL Flapper

Ron
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
greyhawk
#30 Posted : 03 February 2016 23:35:36

I haven't found a child safety cap yet that can't be defeated by prodigious use of a hammer. Laugh
BradM73
#31 Posted : 04 February 2016 00:51:49

I would actually like to see a properly photographed comparison between the DOA hull color and insignia white. Has anyone done a comparison? I've not seen one.
kenjara
#32 Posted : 04 February 2016 09:33:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Guys I am making the small scale Revell Millennium Falcon. The recommended base colour is

REVELL AQUA COLOR GREY SILK 374.

It looks a good fit to me and if you are airbrushing it only costs around £1.20 per pot.
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
greyhawk
#33 Posted : 04 February 2016 10:22:16

kenjara wrote:
£1.20 per pot.

Blink

You could become a very rich man by setting up a proxy model store
CopperGreen
#34 Posted : 04 February 2016 17:50:18

Tamiya has withheld this and other colors because there are new international labeling standards. The deadline to comply is a ways off but some countries/states are requiring implementation earlier.
Tamiya has decided to bite the bullet now rather than later to effect these labeling standards on their products.
The product and ingredients/propellant isn't changing- just the printing on the wrapper stuck on the can.
I expect that they are working on a new "look" while they're at it...
Metal Mech
#35 Posted : 05 February 2016 02:16:28

CopperGreen wrote:
Tamiya has withheld this and other colors because there are new international labeling standards. The deadline to comply is a ways off but some countries/states are requiring implementation earlier.
Tamiya has decided to bite the bullet now rather than later to effect these labeling standards on their products.
The product and ingredients/propellant isn't changing- just the printing on the wrapper stuck on the can.

Hope its soon, I was only able to score two cans of the paint I want. One, because my buddy bought an extra can and didn't use it. Two, because same buddy went back to his hobby store and bought the last can they had. That paint along with AS20 is on back order everywhere.

DeAgostini kit builds:

CopperGreen
#36 Posted : 10 February 2016 20:01:14

Mr Hobby "Off White" looks real close but is a gloss. But if you intend to clear varnish and use oils for weathering maybe it doesn't matter...?
rabidcatfan
#37 Posted : 02 March 2016 20:44:21

CopperGreen wrote:

I hope so. According to my LHS they are due in mid-march, but he can't say definitively if they'll actually be available then or not which is why he's not taking special orders on them.

I told him I wanted 5 cans when they became available. He seemed shocked and asked why so many. I told him I was doing the "big" Millennium Falcon model and he automatically assumed I was talking about the Revell/Finemolds re-release and informed me that 2 cans or so would do fine for it. I laughed and told him no, the Deagostini Falcon - it's nearly twice as big as that one! He didn't know anything about it. I told him that the DeAgo bird is probably why all of the AS-20 cans sold out so quickly to begin with.
chameleon
#38 Posted : 16 March 2016 09:57:41

I asked a friend of mine who runs a big local model shop in Edinburgh for some. He gave me a pained e pression and told me he has preorders for about 140 cans of AS20 due about early-mid April. Guess there's a lot of Falcon builders out there. Think I might just stick to the DOA paint instead.
rabidcatfan
#39 Posted : 21 March 2016 15:27:29

Ugh...now they're saying mid to late April for AS-20.Mad
birdaj2
#40 Posted : 21 March 2016 18:08:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If you are looking to still use Tamiya then the following link may be if interest as the compiler if the list is showing a 2:1 mix of 2 standard tamiya colours to produce the equivalent of insignia white.

http://cs.finescale.com/...erials/f/28/t/97533.aspx
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach