Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
RAF100 Build Entry - Tony's Curtiss Tomahawk Mk.II 1:48 Options
birdaj2
#21 Posted : 14 January 2018 21:20:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

REFERENCES AND CONSUMABLES

A really ironic touch to my build is that in the new edition of the magazine Airfix Model World there is a build of this particular kit so in the hope this article will highlight any potential pitfalls with the model I have ordered up a copy.

My other refences will be:

Osprey – Building the P-40

AK Interactive “Tracks and Wheels” just to get an idea of how to go about adding some weathering to the wheels on this one.

AK Interactive “tracks and wheels” paint set. Works with the details in the matching book they produce.

I have on order the AK ”RAF Day Fighters” Paint set. That is coming from Poland and at £10 including postage was the best I could find in terms of price.

Also, still to arrive I have a small set by MIG for the RAF cockpit which includes the main colour, a suitable wash and a Pigment powder. So that will hopefully save me time trying to work out what to use as its all in one pack.

Decals will be settled down with Micro Set/Sol. My “old” pots of these were just about all dried up so thought it better to get another set.

Superglue – I have gone for a fairly new brand having read some good things about it, its listed as a flexible CA adhesive so in theory it should hold the etch parts in place without them parting company with what they are glued onto.

While sourcing all of my bits and pieces I came across this mini aircraft stand and can see it being useful during some of the build stages.
birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
DSCF2013.JPG
DSCF2033.JPG
DSCF2034.JPG
DSCF2035.JPG
DSCF2036.JPG
DSCF2003.JPG
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jase
#22 Posted : 14 January 2018 21:21:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Plenty of parts to go at now Cool Cool

Enjoy!

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
birdaj2
#23 Posted : 14 January 2018 21:50:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

PARTS FOR A POSSIBLE DIORAMA

Still far to early to decide how I might intend to display the finished aircraft (actually need to get it finished 😊) it would be nice to put it into a small diorama setting.

This is one of the things that dictated the type of aircraft to build as I do not have the space for anything too large.

Also, when I bid for the Airfix kit on eBay it came with the Tamiya Utility Car you can see in these pictures. So as that gives the options to finish that kit in RAF colours the ideas are beginning to flow.

So, parts that may or may not end up being used depending on what time I have to make up a display are:

1:48 Tamiya British Light Utility Car

1:48 Eduard RAF Fighter Crew 1940. Quite interesting these because what you get in the box do not make 100% replicas of the stance each of the figures have on the box top.

The instructions for this set are drawn as outline figures and while there is nothing majorly wrong with this (i.e. we all know were arms and legs should be glued) the ICM instructions are very nicely drawn.

The Eduard offerings are moulded in Mid grey plastic.

Also, when I compared these with the set from ICM I would have to say the ICM kit is slightly sharper in the details than on the Eduard sets.

1:48 Eduard RAF WWII Personnel. Again, same comments apply as regards the stance of the figures on the box top to what you get in the box.

1:48 ICM RAF Pilots and Ground Personnel. These figures do match the figures as drawn on the box top so what you make from the kit matches exactly those shown on the box artwork.

The ICM offering is moulded in a sort of tan coloured plastic and to my eye appear to be slightly sharper in the detailing.

Also within this set you get a few ground equipment items from a couple of gas cylinders on a trolley to a nice work bench with an ammo loading tool in place.

DSCF2019.JPG
DSCF2020.JPG
DSCF2021.JPG
DSCF2030.JPG
DSCF2031.JPG
DSCF2032.JPG
DSCF2024.JPG
DSCF2025.JPG
DSCF2026.JPG
DSCF2027.JPG
DSCF2029.JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
ModelMania
#24 Posted : 14 January 2018 22:21:06

Groups:

Very nice indeed Tony, some excellent additions to your build which should produce a fantastic model/diorama at the end of it Drool

Well done mate and I wish you every success with the project, will be following all of the way! ThumpUp

Kev Smile
birdaj2
#25 Posted : 14 January 2018 23:24:06

Jase/Kev

Many thanks for looking in.

I am looking forward to making a start this week on it.
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#26 Posted : 21 January 2018 14:51:46

SUNDAY 21st January 2018 1:48 Airfix Tomahawk

Now that I have all of the bits and pieces I am hoping to add to this kit along with my paints its time to make a start.

The first 12 of the 51 steps in the Airfix instructions are all for the building of the cockpit which makes up into a small module that will later be added to the fuselage.

As the intention is to try (try because some of the parts are so, so small) and use the Eduard etch set in this build I need to cross reference the Eduard instructions with the Airfix to see what parts need to be removed from the kit ready for the addition of the etch parts.

At this stage its just the most basic of tools needed in the form of a pair of cutters and a small chisel to remove some of the surface detail.

The kit sidewall parts do need a little bit of attention because some of the very small spaces between some of the ribbing are flashed over so some careful work later to unblock these.
Pic 1.JPG
Pic 2.JPG
Pic 3.JPG
Pic 4.JPG
Pic 5.JPG
Pic 6.JPG
Happy Modelling

arpurchase
#27 Posted : 21 January 2018 21:19:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice start TonyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ModelMania
#28 Posted : 21 January 2018 21:54:03

Groups:

Nice to see a start on this kit Tony and a good first post to your build. Looks to be some nice detail to the basic plastic sidewalls, will look even better with the PE added.

Looking forward to your next post already, well done. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
birdaj2
#29 Posted : 21 January 2018 21:58:37

SUNDAY 21st January 2018 1:48 Airfix Tomahawk

PICTURE 1

Well what I have found today is that I need to get myself off to the opticians soon as some of this kit is so small I have had to pull out the magnifying visor to make things a little easier to see.

PICTURES 2 Through 3

Here we have the 2 cockpit sidewalls and the instrument panel.

Its important to follow the Eduard instructions as a number of parts have to be removed and in other cases the moulded-on detail has to be removed.

I was quite surprised that there is some minor flash on the parts with some of the (very small) holes filled in completely. This is what’s taken most of my afternoon cleaning up all of the parts and opening up holes in the frames. It’s one of those jobs you wonder if there is actually any need to do as when this is all closed up chances are it will not even notice.

PICTURES 5 & 6

“Yippee” first 2 parts glued together. Cannot find my usual plastic glue so pulled out one that I saw good reports about. Its “PLASTIC MAGIC” by Deluxe Materials. It seems good and forms a nice clean join in next to no time.

PICTURE 7

As time is against me today to do any priming I was looking for something to do that would be fairly quick so opted to have a bash with the etched seat from the Eduard set.

I was pleasantly surprised in that the connections to the fret are very thin and were very easy to cut through. Not used Eduard for some time so hoping this is something they are doing with of their sets as it makes cutting them out so much easier.

PICTURES 8 Through 10

The back of the seat has to have a very gentle curve added to match the shape of the back of the seat base.

I found the easiest way to do this was use one of the roll bars from my etch rolling set. You could do the same using the handle of a craft knife to be honest.

What you then have to do is curve the front edge of the seat and for this I used my rolling set.

This seat is not designed to get a second chance at folding. The seat base is attached to the back with the smallest etch tab I have ever seen so its “guaranteed” to break if you twist it too much.

PICTURE 11

Into the folding tool just to ensure the seat sides get bent into shape correctly.

PICTURE 12

This small piece fits into the seat at an angle between seat base and seat back.

Luckily had some new superglue un-opened as my three bottle I have had for a while from Cornwall model boats had all set solid in their pots. Really annoyed about that because they had hardly been used. Stored in what I thought was a dry cupboard but I guess the damp got to them and set them off.

PICTURE 13

And here is the finished (apart from paint and belts) seat.

Quite pleased with my efforts.

There is an good build article in this months Airfix Model World Magazine and the builder mentions that for the Tomahawk the seat back in the Eduard set is incorrect in that it should have a flat top to the back rather than rounded.

Its interesting that in the Airfix kit you do get both versions of the seat.

The Airfix builder got around the issue by bending over the top section of his seat.

I may do that or just leave it as is because after all its only going to be noticed by aircraft experts.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#30 Posted : 21 January 2018 22:03:36

Andy/Kev

Many thanks for your kind comments.
Happy Modelling

jase
#31 Posted : 21 January 2018 23:00:24

Really nice progress and some really good etch work. very nicely doneCool

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#32 Posted : 22 January 2018 00:03:33

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great start Tony, all looking good.....Cool Cool .. My optivisors are always being used when on a build session, wouldn't be able to work without them...... think it's an age thing.....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#33 Posted : 22 January 2018 16:12:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tony.
Great start to your build. the etch really looks fantastic on the seat.
look forward to seeing this come together.
IanCool BigGrin Drool
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
tigerace
#34 Posted : 22 January 2018 16:45:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really nice work Tony Drool you gluing all the etch work on this Confused Confused regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Tomick
#35 Posted : 22 January 2018 16:48:09

Groups:

Nice work on the PE and great to see another RAF100 entry underway ThumpUp
ModelMania
#36 Posted : 22 January 2018 19:41:50

Groups:

Very nice work on the PE for the seat Tony, all very neat and tidy, well done. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
pemberg
#37 Posted : 22 January 2018 22:07:03

Nice work with the etch, the seat looks great.

Graeme
darbyvet
#38 Posted : 22 January 2018 23:12:40

That seat is perfect Tony.Great start

Carl