Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <1234>»
MV Port Adelaide Options
John Passmore
#21 Posted : 07 December 2020 03:24:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone

I have reinforced the captive nuts and studs in the keel as it was getting a bit floppy. There are 2 nuts per assembly this time - to ensure stability....Cool I shall be using the construction cradle - modified from my SotS build - for this project...BigGrin

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore attached the following image(s):
11. reinforceing the support studs.JPG
John Passmore
#22 Posted : 07 December 2020 03:34:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Everyone

Here are the pics detailing the deck support beams, which are concave from the centreline to scuppers each side to allow drainage of water...Cool The bendy ply deck plate will be fitted over them - hopefully....Blink

Regards
JohnP
12. Deck support beams.JPG
13. Deck support beams.JPG
delboy271155
#23 Posted : 07 December 2020 11:01:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi John BigGrin

This is very impressive work. Don`t think you can beat scratch building to show your skills.

Will be watching as you progress.ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

John Passmore
#24 Posted : 08 December 2020 10:05:10

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi John BigGrin

This is very impressive work. Don`t think you can beat scratch building to show your skills.

Will be watching as you progress.ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Hi Derek

Thanks for looking in and the nice comment...BigGrin
To be honest, I looked everwhere for a similar ship in kit form but couldn't find one!...Cool So thought I'd have a go at this...Laugh

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore
#25 Posted : 08 December 2020 10:10:41

Hi Everyone

Some more progress...

Have trial fitted all the foreward rib frames - only the small one at the front is glued in - to make a firm guide for the rest of them...Cool

Also cut out the 2 decks forward - they need a bit more tickling before installing...Cool

Regards
JohnP
14. Foreward Rib Frames trial fitted.JPG
15. Forecastle and Main Decks.JPG
Garth
#26 Posted : 09 December 2020 09:30:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi John,
Coming along nicely.
Hats off to you for building from scratch!!!Drool
Kind regards.
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
John Passmore
#27 Posted : 14 December 2020 15:10:31

Garth wrote:
Hi John,
Coming along nicely.
Hats off to you for building from scratch!!!Drool
Kind regards.
Garth

Hi Garth

Thanks for looking in and the nice comment - yeah! It's harder than I thought but I'm getting there...BigGrin Cool
Here's some more progress below...Cool

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore
#28 Posted : 14 December 2020 15:17:31

Hi Everyone

Here's a little more progress in the past week or 2...Cool

Cut the two Main Deck plates and hoping I can fit them complete...Blink But I've found that almost all the ribs are too wide even though I cut everything precisely and even allowed for the keel thickness....Huh

So instead of a little tickling I'm doing some serious carving instead....LOL

Regards

JohnP
16. Midship to Stern Deck.JPG
17. Complete Main Deck. 2 Halves..JPG
18. Complete Main Deck. Marked Up..JPG
John Passmore
#29 Posted : 14 December 2020 15:25:06

Hi Everyone again

I have to make short posts as this forum doesn't like me typing too much and tosses me out and all what I just did as well!Laugh
Laugh

Here's a bit more progress - working out the Stern parts - quite a job as there's not much detail on the drawing...BigGrin
But I'm getting there...Cool

Regards
JohnP
19. Stern Rib Parts.JPG
20. Stern Plan.JPG
John Passmore
#30 Posted : 14 December 2020 15:32:23

Hi Everyone again

Here is my last post for now, showing how I've put the Stern parts together...Cool Nothing is glued yet as I well need to keep disassembling from time to time...Cool
The parts may look a bit rustic and agricultural but all will be well in the end...LOL I don't have the luxury of a laser cutter either...BigGrin

Regards
JohnP
21. Prop Assy..JPG
22. Prop Assy..JPG
23. Prop Assy..JPG
24. Prop Assy..JPG
birdaj2
#31 Posted : 15 December 2020 01:14:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I think that all looks very well done John.

I think its really interesting that you can take a flat plan and produce a 3d model from that.

Hope it all continues well for you.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#32 Posted : 15 December 2020 21:42:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice updates there John and looks as if everything is coming together very well..... well done, keep the posts coming.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
John Passmore
#33 Posted : 21 December 2020 05:35:37

birdaj2 wrote:
I think that all looks very well done John.

I think its really interesting that you can take a flat plan and produce a 3d model from that.

Hope it all continues well for you.

Tony

Hi Tony

Thank you for the compliment - yes, it takes quite a lot of nutting out as there is not a lot of detail or information on the drawing...Blink

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore
#34 Posted : 21 December 2020 05:37:28

Gandale wrote:
Very nice updates there John and looks as if everything is coming together very well..... well done, keep the posts coming.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Thank you for looking in - and following is a little update....BigGrin

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore
#35 Posted : 21 December 2020 05:44:54

Hi Everyone

I've had to rectify almost all the rib frames - some were too narrow and some too wide across the beam....Blink
So I needed to cut some in half and put a little infill in and others cut down by 3-6mm as required...Cool Ho Hum....Laugh
As all were now glued down the middle I needed to reinforce some of them for strength...Cool

Then I dry fitted everything...Cool

Regards
JohnP
25. Hull Rib Frames x13.JPG
26. Ribs dry fitted.JPG
27. Ribs dry fitted.JPG
28. Ribs dry fitted.JPG
29. Ribs dry fitted.JPG
Gandale
#36 Posted : 22 December 2020 13:30:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

All looking good John...Cool Cool .. With scratch building you're going to come across many things that will need to be changed or modified as you journey through. Its all part of the fun... Look forward to seeing your next update....

Regards

Alan
John Passmore
#37 Posted : 28 December 2020 07:11:40

Gandale wrote:
All looking good John...Cool Cool .. With scratch building you're going to come across many things that will need to be changed or modified as you journey through. Its all part of the fun... Look forward to seeing your next update....

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Yes - you're absolutely right - I've changed directions a number of times after things didn't quite work out!...BigGrin But I am finding this more satisfying than SotS in some ways as there is no restriction on how it's done....Cool Laugh

Here's the latest update...Cool

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore
#38 Posted : 28 December 2020 07:20:34

Hi Everyone

Compliments of the Season to one and all...BigGrin

I have loose fitted the Stern main deck plate to the ribs in order to carry out alignment, I forgot to mention earlier - there is no provision for ribs between #7 and #8 (Midships). A distance of 260mm overall. So I made 2 extra ones and called them 7a and 7b...Cool

I added bamboo strips as guides to firmly align ribs....Cool Rib #5 need centralising first...Cool

I plan on balsa infills between Stern and Bow ribs...BigGrin

Regards
JohnP
30. Rib Alignment.JPG
31. Rib Alignment.JPG
32. Rib Alignment.JPG
33. Rib Alignment.JPG
budgie
#39 Posted : 28 December 2020 07:38:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Morning John
Looks like she is coming together really wellDrool

John Passmore
#40 Posted : 28 December 2020 07:52:15

budgie wrote:
BigGrin Morning John
Looks like she is coming together really wellDrool

Hi Budgie

Thanks for looking - and I forgot to mention - I have plenty of 1m long white wood planks but not decided yet how I will cover the hull. I certainly won't be using bamboo, but possibly a combination of 1mm x 75mm balsa and the 1mm x 1m planks....Cool
The bamboo will be used for internal longitudinal stiffening....BigGrin

Regards
JohnP