Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Soldering Options
Dennis
#21 Posted : 17 March 2014 09:23:36

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply and information.

Yes I also use solder paint/paste and I agree especially on thin sheet parts. It is also a good way to tin items. However I do find with the paste that I use then it can leave a residue that needs more work to clean off.

The point with soldering and techniques is there are a few ways of applying heat and a range of solders and fluxes. Once you build up the knowledge then its a case of using the most appropriate for the job. You have obviously found a way that works.

regards

Dennis
Dennis
#22 Posted : 20 March 2014 08:14:44

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

D51 parts set 11

The latest set of parts have arrived. I was looking forward to working on the back head. The back head casting is Zamac, however many of the parts that fit into/onto the back head are brass.
Therefore I have soldered these in place. The soldering itself is at the rear since the components have pegs/pins that protrude through the casting.
As per my previous posting I have used the Carrs brown flux. This works fine however the soldering process should be performed quickly once the flux is applied. The flux does start to react with the Zamac. If this does occur it is a simple matter of flushing the area under the tap, drying off, lightly cleaning the area and starting again.
I used the 80W soldering iron.
The results you will see below.

Ensure that you wash off any spilt flux especially off the hands.
regards

Dennis
Dennis attached the following image(s):
Parts 11 a web.jpg
Dennis
#23 Posted : 21 March 2014 13:57:13

D51 - parts et 11 - left side running board

The running board and brackets plus the side plates proved ideal for soldering. All the parts were first screwed in place on the boiler. Then each joint as you can see in the pictures below was fluxed and small pieces of solder wire placed in the well between the layers.
The method of soldering was as seen previously, to use the miniature gas burner (carefully). Until the solder runs into the joint. In some instances the addition of flux would be to be repeated.
The boiler was held upright or as appropriate so that I was working on the upper joint. Once all these were done then the boiler was reversed and the process repeated on the other side of each joint.
The side plates proved very simple to solder. Again using small pieces of solder wire and the flux followed by heating with the miniature gas burner. Although this is an ideal way of soldering and in particular getting the solder to run into the joint CARE must be taken it is after all an extremely hot flame.
Finally always be careful not to unsolder another part when heating the solder wire pieces.

regards
Dennis
Parts 11 e web.jpg
Parts 11 gg web.jpg
Parts 11 f web.jpg
Dennis
#24 Posted : 20 April 2014 12:43:36

Parts 12 - Oil pump box
Most of parts 12 is simply a repeat construction (soldering) wise of earlier techniques. I suppose the oil pump box is also similar but the soldering of Zamac is quite new to me.
I understand that the Zamac solders because it is the zinc content in the alloy that you actually solder to.
Again I have used the CARRS brown flux. I must repeat myself by warning that anyone using this flux needs to solder/tin the item/items pretty quick because it reacts with the Zamac and until the surface is re cleaned it will not then solder. I have used the 80 watt soldering iron for this. (also safety, wash hands after use or if contacted)
The oil pump box is held in place with 4 x 2mm cross head screws. I have used 2mm rivet head screws that have had the heads soldered in place. This required pieces of solder wire no larger than 1mm and gentle use of the miniature gas flame.
regards
Dennis
Parts 12 oil pump box  soldered web.jpg
Parts 12 oil pump box rivets web.jpg
Garth
#25 Posted : 10 May 2014 20:37:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Dennis,
After reading your soldering tutorial, I finally gave it a try today on my Victory lanterns - to my surprise they joined perfectly. I have always avoided soldering brass as I usually end up damaging the parts, but following your techniques - I'll never have to use "stupid"(super) glue again!!!LOL
Excellent advice.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Dennis
#26 Posted : 10 May 2014 21:37:22

Hi Garth,

Thank you. Soldering at least provides a metal to metal bond. I am so pleased that the advice has helped. I do like your thoughts re super glue.
Cheers
Dennis

Dennis
#27 Posted : 14 May 2014 12:39:31

D51 Parts 13 cab

The window frames on the cab plus the cab tops were ideal for soldering but rather delicate especially the frames.
I have used small toolmaker clamps to hold the parts in place as I soldered (sorry the picture is a bit out of focus in places due to close up work).
The soldering simply followed earlier techniques on this posting by using liquid flux, small pieces of solder wire which were then carefully heated using the miniature butane torch. Capillary action did the rest drawing the molten solder into the joint or under the frames. Additional soldering was sometimes found necessary on the inside of the joints.
The cab floor edging was also an ideal candidate for the same soldering technique.
regards
Dennis
Parts 13 cab frames a web.jpg
Parts 13 cab frames b web.jpg
Parts 13 cab frames c web.jpg
Parts 13 cab frames d web.jpg
Parts 13 cab frames e web.jpg
Dennis
#28 Posted : 21 June 2014 19:41:17

D51 - Parts set 14

Whilst I have covered most techniques for soldering as I build the D51 partworks the latest set of parts (14) provided a need to clamp the part prior to soldering. Most parts have been screwed in place using stainless button head screws which can be removed once the soldering is done. The hole of course is then filled as appropriate (see D51 build diary for details).
However in the latest set the window inner frames needed to be clamped to allow soldering. Most clamps are either plastic or have moulded plastic grips, neither of which would like a mini butane burner flame.
Therefore I used a larger set of engineers clamps which are steel.
Once positioned liquid flux was applied followed by 2mm lengths of solder wire. Heat using the mini butane burner was careful applied until the solder ran into the joint between the nine frame and the cab side. Since the outer window frames had been previously soldered great care was required not to loosen these with undue heat. Also you could use lower melting point solder wire to avoid this problem.
regards
Dennis
D14 a web.jpg
D14 b web.jpg
D14 c web.jpg
D14 d web.jpg
Dennis
#29 Posted : 18 July 2014 19:07:44

D51 Parts set 15 - Smoke deflector
This is another good example for soldering in the latest (parts set 15) of the D51 build. Both inside and outside frames were soldered in place on the deflector using small pieces of solder wire and liquid flux. The miniature gas burner was used for both inside and outside.
Holding the outside frame was helped by using small engineers clamps. Once the frame was part soldered the clamps could be removed and the soldering completed. The inside frame sat perfectly on the deflector. Again solder wire and liquid flux was used together with the gas burner. The initial soldering was accomplished with some care so as not to disturb the frame. Once some soldering was done then the rest could be completed without fear of the frame moving.
I have shown both inside and outside after soldering and after cleaning up. A small DOCK chisel was used to remove the small lumps of excess solder and then all the joints were cleaned up using 240 grit Garry Flex blocks. These are rubber blocks that contain abrasive grit throughout. They are very useful for following varying shapes.
regards Dennis

D51 parts set 15 deflecter outside b4.jpg
D51 parts set 15 deflecter.jpg
D51 parts set 15 deflecter outside.jpg
D51 parts set 15 deflecter inside.jpg
Dennis
#30 Posted : 13 October 2014 11:10:20

D51 Parts set 18
The latest set of parts provided soldering opportunities. However the more difficult parts were the edging which was applied to the tender walls. As before I used engineering clamps (1") to hold the edging strips once aligned. The application of the tender sides edging pieces reminded me. It is important on long pieces such as this to place the clamps fairly close. Solder small sections then move the clamps to the next section and so on. If you allow far too much of the edging between clamps and use the burner as I do then its possible that the strip will lift and distort. Therefore do short sections. Finally as I have said before the miniature gas burner is an excellent tool BUT be very careful when using it. We do not wish to create claims on house insurance! I have just illustrated this aspect of soldering and the kit using one corner of the tender wall. The following images show the area after soldering (the flux will cause some temporary colour change), finally the area once cleaned up using 600 wet dry paper used wet and a scotchbrite sponge.
regards Dennis
Parts 18 fluxed.jpg
Parts 18 soldered b.jpg
Parts 18 corner cleaned.jpg
Tomick
#31 Posted : 29 November 2014 16:18:25

Groups:

An interesting topic, well done Cool
Dennis
#32 Posted : 29 November 2014 19:42:37

Hi Tomick,
Thank you. Although it was suggested that I put together a soldering know how note, it has proven of great interest.The D51 build provides many opportunities to use the soldering techniques.
Regards
Dennis
Dennis
#33 Posted : 12 April 2015 18:58:27

D51 Parts 24 - Ash Box
Thank you to everyone who has viewed my Model Making Know How on soldering. Since the D51 partworks set 24 has just been delivered it leaves just set 25 to come and then all the parts have arrived. The ash box in set 24 provides a couple of examples of soldering techniques. Although I am soldering instead of in the main using the screws often I have used screws or clamps to hold parts together as they are soldered. The ash box as with all the parts of this model were very well executed. The ash box is quite complicated so I firstly screwed it together as per the instructions. Then using the liquid flux/solder wire pieces sections of the ash box were soldered together using the mini butane torch. Once soldered the screws were removed and the rest of the side joints were soldered together. The screw holes were then soldered in using a 80watt soldering iron. I used two different melt point solders. The higher one being used initially and the low point when filling in the screw holes. I tend to use the liquid flux for most soldering work, applied by brush. Once the ash box was all soldered it was thoroughly washed to remove any residual flux. The excess solder was then removed with a combination of modellers Dock chisel, abrasive nail boards, 6" file and scotchbrite material in warm water. The completed ash box will now be fitted to the chassis and the paintwork can commence.
Parts 24 Ashpan a.jpg
Parts 24 Ashpan c.jpg
Parts 24 Ashpan d.jpg
Parts 24 Ashpan e.jpg
Parts 24 Ashpan g.jpg
Parts 24 Ashpan h.jpg
Parts 24 Ashpan j.jpg
Parts 24 Ashpan k.jpg