Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
Tamiya AS20 Alternative Options
birdaj2
#41 Posted : 21 March 2016 18:08:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

If you are looking to still use Tamiya then the following link may be if interest as the compiler if the list is showing a 10:1 mix of 2 standard tamiya colours to produce the equivalent of insignia white.

http://cs.finescale.com/...erials/f/28/t/97533.aspx
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
rabidcatfan
#42 Posted : 23 March 2016 14:46:45

Wow... thanks for the heads up on that thread. I'm going to try that mix when I get home and see what it yields.If it works out then spraying that mix with Tamiya lacquer thinner should be the exact equivalent of the AS-20 spray.
rabidcatfan
#43 Posted : 24 March 2016 15:22:35

For the record, I tried that mix and it was way too far on the tan side for me. In fact, after I let it dry on a piece of scrap styrene, it looked a lot like the stock color of the hull plating.

I'll try to do some tweaking this weekend. Thinking about 20:1 XF-2 to XF-55 and maybe a drop of XF-18 (medium blue) to add a hint of gray to the mix.
LrdSatyr8
#44 Posted : 12 April 2016 15:59:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I actually found a very cheap alternative to Tamiya Insignia White... it comes in a 32oz spray can and only goes for $3.95 a bottle. You only need 1 bottle for the entire ship! It's Krylon Maxx Ivory #8980... I tested several colors and here's my results:

These are the colors I tested

I painted each color on a color chip card and allowed it to dry and then compared the colors on the unpainted hull. Here's what I found:

So it looks like Ivory is the winner! I painted the top turret completely and then placed it against the unpainted bottom hull.

Looks like a very good match. I did a little light weathering on it and then took it outside in the sunlight. I think that this will do quite nicely.

Oh yeah baby... that's the sweet stuff. So I'm going with the Krylon Ivory and the sweetest thing about it is that it's a very common brand that can be found just about anywhere and one can should be cover not only this whole thing, but half another one! I did a little preshading on my lower hull and then painted over it. It looks really nice so far!

Hope this helps those who are having such trouble finding any of the Insignia White. This stuff looks like it's a pretty good substitute!
Bill-Devine
#45 Posted : 04 June 2016 21:31:56

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I found this site in the U.S.
http://www.rcplanet.com/...USN_3_oz_p/tam86520.htm

Just ordered 4 cans
Make things as simple as possible but not simpler... - Albert Einstein
rabidcatfan
#46 Posted : 16 June 2016 20:16:45

I was able to pick up 4 cans of Tamiya AS-20 at my LHS this afternoon, so I guess they're becoming widely available again.