Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
RAF100 build entry - Bristol F.2b fighter Options
Tomick
#41 Posted : 11 February 2018 13:00:58

Groups:

Like the idea of trying to attain the hand-painted look.

Of the 5,000 F.2b’s made, apparenty only 6 are left in the World and only 3 are airworthy., One of the originals is to go on display at the new Bristol Aerospace Museum in place of a replica...A fitting tribute as Bristol Fighters were produced at the Bristol Filton Airfield - the first commercial aeroplane factory in Britain....

https://www.google.co.uk...ngland-bristol-37315738

https://www.baesystems.c...age/bristol-f2b-fighter

jase
#42 Posted : 11 February 2018 14:15:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

It will be good to have the origonal on display
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#43 Posted : 11 February 2018 15:00:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Starting to come together nicelyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tigerace
#44 Posted : 11 February 2018 18:19:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good JaseBigGrin Drool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

jase
#45 Posted : 11 February 2018 20:53:34

The painting has been done by hand using a small brush to try and emulate it being hand painted rather than using my airbrush. this has allowed my to use Humbrol paint as I only use acrylic in my airbrush. I think the olive trap paint looks better on the wings than the main body. everything was given a varnish ready for decals.

The decals are quite thick especially the large one for the tail, any pics with wrinkly decals is because the Micro Sol is still active.

The decal at the pilots position actually is not readable to the naked eye but the camera reveals some unusual instructions!!Huh

The radiator and vent was given a pin was, I think it cam out ok once fitted the brass radiator edge has to be painted in brass the front cowl remains grey.

A set of etched seat harness was added to the pilots seat.

The exhaust wer painted hull red then I mixed dark brown was and rust wash and dappled the parts with it. once dry I dappled rust wash. quite pleased with the finished look. just needs a bit of blackening at the ends.

The tail control levers were added, I guess these were peddle controlled they are painted grey.

Also the gunners swivel mount has been installed the chair assembly will be done last

The mounting struts for the lower wing have also been added, again these are painted grey.

some small parts are added to the tail assembly, these are the cable termination points for the wire controls, again grey. some of these parts are very fiddly and poor fitting needing a lot of sanding down.

I have painted the underside of the tail and wings in AK wood deck, seemed like a good colour match, again done with a small brush.

With all this done I decided I wanted to rig the fuselage ahead of mounting the wings as I am concerned getting in may be more difficult. I have used EZ Line for the rigging, if you have never used this product I holy recommend it

the line is elasticated and is attached using fast cure (5 second) CA. you literally hold the line in place blob of glue count to 10 trim the excess off, hmmm much quicker to type it than do it LOL LOL LOL but looks awesome BigGrin Cool

Jase

jase attached the following image(s):
IMG_2847.JPG
IMG_2848.JPG
IMG_2850.JPG
IMG_2851.JPG
IMG_2853.JPG
IMG_2849.JPG
IMG_2854.JPG
IMG_2855.JPG
IMG_2856.JPG
IMG_2857.JPG
IMG_2859.JPG
IMG_2860.JPG
IMG_2861.JPG
IMG_2862.JPG
IMG_2863.JPG
IMG_2864.JPG
IMG_2866.JPG
IMG_2867.JPG
IMG_2868.JPG
IMG_2869.JPG
IMG_2870.JPG
IMG_2871.JPG
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
ModelMania
#46 Posted : 11 February 2018 21:59:59

Groups:

Excellent work Jase, looking really good as it is reaching the latter stages of the build - well done.

I agree with your decision to hand paint the olive drab, it does give a more realistic finish that replicates the full size method of painting. Nice work on your rigging too, well done again. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
jase
#47 Posted : 12 February 2018 13:24:00

Thanks Kev
The righing is quite tricky 🤯
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#48 Posted : 12 February 2018 14:04:02

Groups:

Coming along well, though are you going to weather the decals as they look too pristine on the hand-painted look
jase
#49 Posted : 12 February 2018 15:02:16

Tomick wrote:
Coming along well, though are you going to weather the decals as they look too pristine on the hand-painted look

Yep I will be i want to geth the rest of the decals on first and then I can do it all at the same time

Jase
-Mark Twain
jase
#50 Posted : 20 February 2018 20:42:02

More progressBigGrin

Lower wing was a real pig to mount, the kit engineering is poor and it took several attempts to get it right.

The rear sky has been built and painted as has the frame for the wheels. the red wheels breaks up the grey green look of the aircraft, again more fit problems with the parts.

underneath the wings are some anti role braces these fitted first time and were painted grey. the wing flaps in some of these pics are not yet painted but are the beige colour of the rest of the wing when done.

With the lower wing in place the bomb racks could also be added. I decided to do some light grey chipping on these after fitting them, as I imagine they were used quite a bit with refilling the bombs, the rest of the aircraft will be weathered later

The green areas have now been given a second matt varnish ready for weathering the grey parts are getting a satin varnish and the natural wood wing struts are gloss. I think I will do the red wheels satin too as they are metal.

the wing struts needed some work to fit, I am dreading having to attache the upper wing Crying Crying Crying

thats it for now

Jase
File Attachment(s):
IMG_2904.JPG (866kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
IMG_2905.JPG (865kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
IMG_2909.JPG (259kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
IMG_2872.JPG
IMG_2873.JPG
IMG_2906.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2907.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG
-Mark Twain
ModelMania
#51 Posted : 20 February 2018 22:49:46

Groups:

Looking good Jase, and doing well with what I should imagine is a very fiddly kit to build! Blink ThumpUp

Those 'wing flaps' are normally known as ailerons Jase, hope you don't mind me correcting you? Also, what is the thin strip of Tamiya masking tape for on the underside of the nose cowling?

Keep up the good work and well done. ThumpUp

Kev Smile
jase
#52 Posted : 20 February 2018 23:09:43

ModelMania wrote:
Looking good Jase, and doing well with what I should imagine is a very fiddly kit to build! Blink ThumpUp

Those 'wing flaps' are normally known as ailerons Jase, hope you don't mind me correcting you? Also, what is the thin strip of Tamiya masking tape for on the underside of the nose cowling?

Keep up the good work and well done. ThumpUp

Kev Smile

not well up on aircraft terminology, which is probably a surprise as I used to buy parts for commercial aircraft!!!, can spot a wing and a tail, then I am thin ice after that LOL LOL LOL correct awayCool

the Tamiya tap is on ready to do some remedial work on the radiator cowl, cover thingamabob when I get around to it

Jase
-Mark Twain
jase
#53 Posted : 25 February 2018 12:39:21

With the wing structs in place the next task was to complete the rigging with the EZ line. With a little thought you can wrap the line around its junction points and and do several parts with the seam thread. It took much longer to the de first wing than the second BigGrin

the rear gunners swivel gun position was next, some etch gives it a nice feel as it is a focal point of the aircraft. The fit of the gun and the completed assembly to the fuselage was a nightmare with such fragile parts.

the last decals went on on the tyres.

The prop was painted red brown with the fixing plat picked out in black,

the last little job was to add the upper wing, little being nearly 5 hoursCursing Mad trying to position each strut individually holes in the wing to small for the struts wing fits one side level a gap Mad

Everything was given a wash in a mix of grey and green to hi light the detail and give it a slightly warn look, bending the decals in.

Anyway, she is now done and I am happy with the end result. I don't believe I have built a Great War aircraft beforeCool just jot to tidy up now Laugh

Kit conclusion.
This kit is an utter dog to build would not recommend it. It reminds me why I have not built anything from revel for 20+ years. Having said that the surfs say Eduard on them, so do revel make it for Eduard or Eduard for Revel? I am not sure but what I can say is the engineering of the kit is poor. parts simply do not fit its often easier to remove locating lugs and hod bits together with CA. I still cannot get the wheels to align correctly and have given up on that. The subject matter however is very cool and I did enjoy the build for the most part.

you can find more pics in the finished builds

Jase

File Attachment(s):
IMG_2919.JPG (350kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
IMG_2911.JPG
IMG_2910.JPG
IMG_2912.JPG
IMG_2913.JPG
IMG_2914.JPG
IMG_2915.JPG
IMG_2917.JPG
IMG_2920.JPG
-Mark Twain
tigerace
#54 Posted : 25 February 2018 13:56:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great build Jase BigGrin lovely workCool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Markwarren
#55 Posted : 25 February 2018 14:55:46

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Jase, coming on very well.

Mark