Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages <12345>»
RAF 100 Build Entry - Airfix 1/72 AVRO Vulcan B Mk2 XH558 Options
tigerace
#41 Posted : 27 January 2018 20:59:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

oooh thats alot of etch there GrayDrool Drool i wonder if you`ll glue any to your fingersLOL LOL looking forward to your startCool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

jase
#42 Posted : 28 January 2018 00:04:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thats some fantastic etch from WEM. its always good quality. I have found the instructions have improved since the new owners.

I think this is going to be a seriously great project - enjoy

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
ModelMania
#43 Posted : 28 January 2018 21:35:18

Groups:

Some fabulous etch details there Gray and nice reference material too. Really looking forward to the start of your Vulcan build. Drool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
pemberg
#44 Posted : 30 January 2018 14:36:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You've got a fair bit of etch there, should turn out to a great build.

Graeme
Spal
#45 Posted : 30 January 2018 14:44:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lots and lots of add ons, this is going to look great Cool hope your upgrading the undercarriage to cope with it all LOL

Al
Tomick
#46 Posted : 30 January 2018 14:55:33

Groups:

Need to get cracking soon as you may run out of time to have it complete by the end of July or be working on it into the small hours Crying
CaptnBirdseye
#47 Posted : 30 January 2018 21:52:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tomick wrote:
Need to get cracking soon as you may run out of time to have it complete by the end of July or be working on it into the small hours Crying

Hint taken BigGrin

Finally having all the pieces in place, i decided to make a start with the cockpit. The supplied kit pieces are, well lets just say a little sparse, hence the etched cockpit. Here is tonight's progress. More to follow......
CaptnBirdseye attached the following image(s):
vulcan cockpit etch 001.JPG
vulcan cockpit etch 002.JPG
vulcan cockpit etch 003.JPG
vulcan cockpit etch 004.JPG
vulcan cockpit etch 005.JPG
vulcan cockpit etch 006.JPG
vulcan cockpit etch 002.JPG
vulcan cockpit etch 003.JPG
jase
#48 Posted : 30 January 2018 22:51:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice to see this one landing on your cutting mat. good luck with it

Jason
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
CaptnBirdseye
#49 Posted : 31 January 2018 21:59:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

By this etch is very fiddley Cursing . I can see why for some people it might be a 'marmite' moment. Trying to glue the etch at 90 degrees is a nightmare 🤬

While waiting for the etch to set, i thought i would assemble the seamless air intakes. I just need to remove the fitting lugs once the glue has dried.
cockpit & air intakes 001.JPG
cockpit & air intakes 002.JPG
cockpit & air intakes 003.JPG
cockpit & air intakes 004.JPG
Spal
#50 Posted : 31 January 2018 23:31:08

Those intakes look so much better than the kit ones BigGrin

Al
Gandale
#51 Posted : 31 January 2018 23:54:20

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like some great progress being made, looks great.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
jase
#52 Posted : 01 February 2018 00:12:48

Percevier with the etch it will be worth it. Intakes look awsum

Jase
-Mark Twain
Markwarren
#53 Posted : 01 February 2018 08:27:36

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Lovely work, and that etch brass is definitely worth the effort.

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#54 Posted : 01 February 2018 10:02:00

Markwarren wrote:

Mark

Thanks for looking in and your comments guys. I am having trouble with the etch. It's the superglue. It's way too brittle. So... having done a little research i have found VMA Flexi CA at M.A.N Models. This stuff is quite expensive, but hopefully will cure my problem. It's not as brittle and seems quite workable.
I just need to find a way to butt joint at 90degrees now that retains it's shape Confused.

In the mean time i will continue the build working around the etch. Further updates to follow Cool

Regards
Gray
CaptnBirdseye
#55 Posted : 01 February 2018 20:16:16

Engines fitted. supplied paint came in useful after all BigGrin
engines 001.JPG
tigerace
#56 Posted : 01 February 2018 21:49:16

Looks like you are having fun GrayBigGrin BigGrin looks great so farDrool regards PhilCool P.s i always find when using etch to make sure i rough up the rear of the piece before gluing and i mostly use loctite superglue just a thoughtConfused
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

jase
#57 Posted : 02 February 2018 06:58:54

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
Markwarren wrote:

Mark

Thanks for looking in and your comments guys. I am having trouble with the etch. It's the superglue. It's way too brittle. So... having done a little research i have found VMA Flexi CA at M.A.N Models. This stuff is quite expensive, but hopefully will cure my problem. It's not as brittle and seems quite workable.
I just need to find a way to butt joint at 90degrees now that retains it's shape Confused.

In the mean time i will continue the build working around the etch. Further updates to follow Cool

Regards
Gray

Try usung pva glue and jig your part. If the etch part is load bearing youcan always reinforce with ca afterwords

Alternativly you try using ca gel i fing the ca gel from zapp very good

If you show me phot of the problem part i am sure i can help
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#58 Posted : 02 February 2018 09:40:37

BigGrin Hi Gray

You may find the following link to You-Tube to be of help the following vids could also be useful. I generally find that clicking on the side vids can bring up other tutorials that are relevant too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y6CSKFF4Vc

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ModelMania
#59 Posted : 03 February 2018 10:32:07

Groups:

A nice start to your build Gray, looking good. Cool ThumpUp

I sometimes use 5 minute epoxy glue to secure load bearing etch if two parts are being laid flat onto each other, just spread thinly on one of the joining parts with a clean fingertip, it gives you a few minutes to get everything in the right position and any excess seepage can be cleaned up around the edges with a suitable solvent/thinner whilst it is drying? If you want to join two parts which are perpendicular to each other, you could also just touch the edge of a bulkhead or suchlike into the mixed glue so that you get a thin bead along the edge of the part, and again clean away any excess whilst it is drying to leave a neat bead of glue. Once dried it is a very strong joint and can be strengthened by running a little thin CA glue along it with the edge of a scalpel blade using capillary action? You can also solder brass etch together but then it can cause problems sometimes with warping of parts due to heat transfer.

Hope that helps? Keep up the good work. ThumpUp

Kev Smile
CaptnBirdseye
#60 Posted : 07 February 2018 20:51:25

Thanks for all your comments and tips. Much appreciated BigGrin

For today's update, this might sound a bit harsh but...I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE WOLFPACK WHEELBAY SET. Cursing Cursing Cursing

There, i've said it now (feeling much better). Its not the relative complexity, but a mixture of very poor instructions (read almost non-existant), badly fitting parts and MASSES of remedial work on the parts themselves.
Compared to the etch from White Ensign, its like chalk and cheese!
Needless to say the wheel bay set is getting binned. Hope i have a better experience with thier update set.

Anyway, enough of the negatives! Bought myself a MasterTools etch bender Love really happy with that Cool

More updates later. Here's pictures of the bad kit...
File Attachment(s):
vulcanwheelbays 006.JPG (290kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
vulcanwheelbays 001.JPG
vulcanwheelbays 004.JPG
vulcanwheelbays 005.JPG
etch bender 001.JPG