Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<23456>»
William's Build Options
William's Build
#61 Posted : 01 July 2014 17:05:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Another question. When I measured the height of the planking at the top of the frames, it was slightly higher than the last plank so as you can see below I have added another one. Is this the right thing to do and should it just sand it down or have I made an error in this??
William's Build attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
William's Build
#62 Posted : 01 July 2014 17:06:12

image.jpg
stevie_o
#63 Posted : 01 July 2014 17:20:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi William
You can reduce the plank height down later so that should be ok, as for the template - the wording is wrong in the mag, it should be placed at the rear of the frame as in your pic.

Here is the text from the official build diary -

"Page 12 contains a template profile which needs to be transferred to stiff card, (such as the back of a cereal packet), the template needs to match exactly. Note that the first template photo shown contains incorrect wording, it should read 'This point lines up with the rear of frame 30' which as per the wording noted in second template photo, therefore the template should be aligned with the rear of frame 30 as per photo 5 of this diary build"

Hope this helps

Steve
William's Build
#64 Posted : 01 July 2014 18:25:31

Loving your work Steve, thanks once again.
karl josef
#65 Posted : 01 July 2014 21:02:19

Groups:

William,clean work
Best regards,
Reiner
William's Build
#66 Posted : 10 July 2014 18:59:34

Thanks Karl!

Some latest pics, still resisting the urge to sand any of it yet. I've been thinking ahead to the mast and other dowel relation objects on the ship. Am I right in thinking that the only way to get this spot on os to use a modellers laythe?
image.jpg
William's Build
#67 Posted : 10 July 2014 19:00:00

image.jpg
William's Build
#68 Posted : 10 July 2014 19:00:22

image.jpg
William's Build
#69 Posted : 10 July 2014 19:00:46

image.jpg
stevie_o
#70 Posted : 10 July 2014 19:13:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks good William, very neatBigGrin If you are referring to the mast and spar tapering then no, a lathe is not necessary although would be best. I used a cordless drill - put the mast into the drill chuck, you wont end up seeing the lower end anyway as its below deck, spin the mast whilst holding it against a sanding board, basically a large piece of sandpaper glued to a board. Keep checking the diameter as you go.

Steve
William's Build
#71 Posted : 18 July 2014 01:57:34

Thanks Stevie, I'll get some dowel from my local model shop and give it a test. Would love a unimat!
cruorangelussilicis
#72 Posted : 18 July 2014 09:33:49

Looking really good William, nice job.
z8000783
#73 Posted : 18 July 2014 09:35:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Indeed. She will look beautiful when you sand her. It will be a pleasure to do.
William's Build
#74 Posted : 19 July 2014 05:03:06

Loving the positive reinforcement chaps! I was talking to a colleague about the build today and he laughed and said that he didn't think anyone ever actually finished the deagostini kits. Looking at some of the incredible builds on this forum show me just how far I've got to go especially as I'd love to tile the hull with copper as well. I laughed and said that I'd invested too much time and money at this stage but I thought about what he said and to be honest it's actually spurred me on!!

Have been pulling mental hours this week and haven't even had the chance to see the other half between sleeps. She's at a wedding this weekend so bring on ship o'clock! Laugh

pierre50
#75 Posted : 19 July 2014 08:57:38

Looking good William, enjoy the build!
Current Buid:
HMS Victory
Next Build:
Captain Cook's Endeavour Collecting issues
Wish List:
Santa Ana
Bounty
Santisima-Trinidad
arpurchase
#76 Posted : 19 July 2014 10:06:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi William

Sounds like the bug has bitten big style as for your detracting friend there are many people out there who beleave the propaganda put out by the daily rags every january when they have little news to print so they pick on part works ,perhaps pointing your friend to the forum may change your friends mind.
Part works suit some peoples pockets as its a weekly or monthly out going instead of a lump at the start. Thanks you for your kind words about everyone's builds on here im sure all the members will appreciate your comments.
Above all enjoy your build and your progress is going fine and dont forget to ask if you get stuck

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

William's Build
#77 Posted : 06 August 2014 15:29:31

Arpurchase you don't have to tell me, I think it's fab!

My father turned 74 last weekend so the SO & I took him out in Portsmouth for the day to see the old bird. She's looking a bit miserable because of the repairs (which are set to last for years and years to come) but it was amazing to have a point of referance when walking around the ship. One thing that shocked me a bit, was learning that the stair cases leading onto the quarter deck didn't originally open out long ways, this was changed later. Has anyone on here attempted to build her as she was originally?

And now to the question! I'm about to start planking below the water line which of course means the really nasty bends at the stern. Obviously I've read as much as poss on how to get the bends right but still feel unconfident. Any extra pointers / opinions on which method works best? If I'm honest with myself I've been putting it off for this reason and want to crack on!

William.
stevie_o
#78 Posted : 06 August 2014 15:47:04

HI William,
Don't worry about the lower planking, treat each plank as a separate job and take your time.
The mag instructions will guide you and tell you what needs to be done with each tricky plank but as a general rule dont force any plank into place.
You need to pre-shape any tight twists or curves first with steam from the kettle, hold the curve in place until cool and then fit. Let the plank lie where it wants to go naturally and dont attempt any lateral bends or curves. There will be triangular gaps at the stern, this is unavoidable and these are filled in later with off cuts, again, this is all in the mag so have a careful read and take a look at the official build for each section you attempt as well.
Good luck with it

Steve
Gandale
#79 Posted : 06 August 2014 23:24:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi William, have to say I think you are doing a great job on your build and am so pleased to hear you are enjoying the experience.... Bending and twisting planks is not a difficult task, best undertaken thought the use of steam from a boiling kettle just as Stevie has pointed out.... All the build diaries, Mr T's official build together with the magazine will give you all the guidance I think you need.... Take your time and take it one step at a time.... Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing your progress..

Regards

Alan
William's Build
#80 Posted : 11 August 2014 16:28:28

Ok, trying to sit down and stomach the next bit but straight away I have a question. Have a look at the photo and you should see a nip in the line of the last plank towards the bow. The next step is to lay a plank between frames 18 and 25. Should I have it bend with the plank above (or below as the picture shows), or do I run it as straight as possible and add a dropper plank?
image.jpg