Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages «<23456>
pfcdre's HMS Victory Options
pfcdre
#61 Posted : 11 July 2018 10:44:53

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

After watching the official build video its quite clear what i should have done, any new builders please beware of watching Genesis models build diaries, although very detailed and generally accurate as and when he makes a mistake he does not edit or inform, i will make sure i only use the official build diary in future.
Gandale
#62 Posted : 11 July 2018 10:59:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Yep, am afraid you have gone wrong by trimming back the stern planks, the planks need to have an overhang beyond the edge of the hull and will be trimmed back later. The only way to resolve this is to remove the planks and re-do....

https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=posts&t=1095

I'm also not convinced you have shaped your frames 34 enough, they need to be flush with the false keel. Look at stage 20 on the Official build....

https://forum.model-spac....aspx?g=posts&t=814

I would recommend you study the instructions and the relevant stage on the Official build before you start the build stage on your own model, its the best way to avoid making mistakes if you have a clear knowledge of what is to be achieved on each build stage.

Regards

Alan
pfcdre
#63 Posted : 11 July 2018 13:11:33

hi Alan i know you cant see from the angle of the pic but 34 are level with the false keel. i have redone the gallery planks but its hard to tell how far to trim them for the side planks to fit too, does it taper or go straight from the last rib?
Gandale
#64 Posted : 11 July 2018 15:21:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

pfcdre wrote:
hi Alan i know you cant see from the angle of the pic but 34 are level with the false keel. i have redone the gallery planks but its hard to tell how far to trim them for the side planks to fit too, does it taper or go straight from the last rib?

Pics below may help you here...

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
Vicstern1.JPG
Vicstern2.JPG
pfcdre
#65 Posted : 11 July 2018 15:45:27

thanks Alan, but can i ask, by drawing a line on the outside of a plank how are the side planks going to continue past the stern gallery so as to trim back later.hope you understand what i mean
pfcdre
#66 Posted : 11 July 2018 17:19:07

when it says sand off the overhang, is this referring to the 1 plank thickness drawn earlier either side of the gallery?
Gandale
#67 Posted : 11 July 2018 22:39:37

Have a look at this video, it should make everything clear....

Stern Planking

Regards

Alan
pfcdre
#68 Posted : 11 July 2018 22:47:02

yeah i watched that about 5 times lol, i think i have done it now had to redo the gallery planks 3 times lol kept cutting back too short on bow planking nowBigGrin
pfcdre
#69 Posted : 12 July 2018 18:49:44

Hi Alan i have started planking the upper hull now and all seems to be going fairly well, as soon as i get a few done i will post pics for you to check if ok
Gandale
#70 Posted : 12 July 2018 19:41:27

pfcdre wrote:
Hi Alan i have started planking the upper hull now and all seems to be going fairly well, as soon as i get a few done i will post pics for you to check if ok

No problem but I would prefer to see your work being shown in the form of a build diary, keeps all you queries on your build in the one place rather than creating multiple topics... Would be helpful if you created and maintained your diary here:

https://forum.model-spac....aspx?g=topics&f=21

Regards

Alan
pfcdre
#71 Posted : 14 July 2018 18:35:51

hi guys well i have just finished row 6 of planking and i think things are moving reasonably well i did put a slight gap in starb side to keep level with port side planking, as i only just noticed some planks are very slightly wider than others, so i now pair each side first, also i am a little concearned with stern gallery supports the port side was much higher than starb side even though its properly seated so i did sand it down, if i have to build it back up i can, but any input welcome anyway here are some pics.cheers
pfcdre attached the following image(s):
bowdiary.jpg
portdiary.jpg
starbdiary.jpg
sterndiary.jpg
pfcdre
#72 Posted : 14 July 2018 19:45:00

so i was not happy with the left end gallery support, so with the help of some hotwiter micro surgery i removed it and replaced it with a new one which sits alot better, it was annoying me and the operation was a success. i will post pics as soon as the glue has setBigGrin BigGrin
arpurchase
#73 Posted : 15 July 2018 09:59:20

BigGrin Looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

pfcdre
#74 Posted : 15 July 2018 10:13:53

thankyou for the comment, i have the picture of the new gallery support on left side. hopefully im ok to continue the build now.
new stern.jpg
Gandale
#75 Posted : 15 July 2018 23:03:44

From what I'm seeing I'd say it all looks good so you should continue with the next part of the build.....Cool Cool .. Will be watching....

Regards

Alan
pfcdre
#76 Posted : 16 July 2018 16:28:56

thanks Alan, i re did the gallery support as i didnt want to run in to any issues when it comes to fitting the gallery, i have just started cutting out the 1st set of gun ports, this step may take a whileBigGrin
Gandale
#77 Posted : 16 July 2018 22:55:43

Just take your time with cutting out the gun ports, measure twice and cut once is a good habit to get into..... Look forward to seeing how you progress...

Regards

Alan
pfcdre
#78 Posted : 24 July 2018 00:11:07

marked out 2nd row of gunports if someone could have a look at let me know i think its right but what do you guys think
2nd row gun1.jpg
2nd row gun2.jpg
2nd row gunports.jpg
arpurchase
#79 Posted : 24 July 2018 07:18:52

BigGrin Looks good to meCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#80 Posted : 24 July 2018 12:02:33

Not seeing anything out of place, looks fine....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan