Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages «<345
German SWS with Flak 43 and Maybach engine Options
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#81 Posted : 18 January 2013 23:39:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Made a bit of progress on the Flak this week, still have the feed & ejector basket to add yet.

The basket has been supplied in etch mesh in the basic kit & looks very good. The seperate ammo upgrade set I bought includes tray feed as well as ammo, so need to see how these look.

Any help on the colour of the shells would be appreciated. BigGrin

As always all comments welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Wilfy
File Attachment(s):
flak 4.JPG (1,732kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
Wilfy the Sea Dog attached the following image(s):
flak 1.JPG
flak 2.JPG
flak 3.JPG
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#82 Posted : 18 January 2013 23:47:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I have also started on the camo for the main vehicle.

Not sure how I feel about it at moment, it is close to the painting guide using my own artistic license. BigGrin

Needs to have a thin brown line added all the way through the yellow, touching up & filters/washes to tone & blend.

Was a bit of a pain to do, tried free hand but too much overspray, especially on the bonnet area.

In the end, I sprayed the yellow camo colour over most of the body work & then masked the area to be yellow with blue tack & oversprayed everything with the base green.

Not perfect, but best I could come up with, think it will look ok once weathered.

Thanks once again.

Wilfy
camo 1.JPG
camo 2.JPG
yamaska
#83 Posted : 19 January 2013 00:31:15

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wilfy

I haven't seen this camo pattern before, but I am sure that once you have weathered and applied filters everything will look just great.

John
arpurchase
#84 Posted : 19 January 2013 09:20:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin she's starting to come alive with the paint wilfyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Nemesis
#85 Posted : 19 January 2013 09:57:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Brilliant work so far!! Nice detail on the flak gun. The ammo will have brass casings, and when I did some research for mine, the shells themselves were light grey with either a red or yellow tip. I like the camo scheme. In the field it would have been hand painted on with whatever they had to hand, so by the time you have applied filters and washes, then some weathering, it should look perfect! Coming along very nicely!!!BigGrin BigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#86 Posted : 19 January 2013 16:36:21

Groups:

Hello Wilfy,

I fully agree with Nemesis, the camo should look perfect when filtered and weathered and as he says the camo would have been painted in the field with whatever they could find and most likely it would also be applied by brush since it would be very hard to find the use of a spray gun to apply it in the middle of a war, so a fairly sharp edged scheme as opposed to feathered edges on your model would be more accurate and that is what you have achieved here??

Love what you are doing my friend and thanks for the great updates, certainly looking very nice!! Well done!!

Kev BigGrin
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#87 Posted : 22 January 2013 22:53:18

Thanks for all your comments guys. She's not perfect, but I am pretty happy with the way she is turning out.

The camo pattern is a bit different, I've also not seen it before but just going by the supplied colour scheme.

Can't wait to get some fiters, washes & weathering on her to see how she turns out.

Thanks again & keep the comments coming, good or bad, they are spurring me on.BigGrin

Wilfy
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#88 Posted : 09 March 2013 22:34:13

I've finally managed to get a bit of work done on the SWS.

Tracks fitted now (although badly, building off vehicle in shaped sections didn't work too well!)

Have also applied an overall filter & blended in with oil washes to tone everything down & start the fading process.

Need to add some durt, mud & dust now & a few streaking effects. Exhaust needs sorting out, as do the visible undersection areas.

All comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Wilfy
side view 1.JPG
side view 2.JPG
side view 3.JPG
front view.JPG
top view.JPG
arpurchase
#89 Posted : 10 March 2013 09:50:21

BigGrin Hi Wilfy
She certainly looks the part, top work
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Nemesis
#90 Posted : 10 March 2013 11:43:59

That is coming along a treat!!!! The washes and filters have really bought it to life!! Love it!!BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
snapdragon
#91 Posted : 20 June 2013 12:14:23

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have the quad 20mm flak version of this in my stash and I keep looking at it, but with the amount of stuff on my bench it can stay there for a while.

For the shells. Usually the cases would be brass and the "bullet" would be a gun metal grey with the tips painted with a yellow tip to designate tracer.

Very late war, with brass in short supply steel cases were used and painted with a parkerised green colour, bullets remained the same.

As your vehicle is painted in the late war colour used from 30th November 1944 to May 1945 then I suggest that your shells are parkerised green.

The paint orders for this period was olive green base coat with dark yellow and red bown camo over the top.