Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<45678>»
Gibbo's DelPrado Victory Build Options
Martyn Ingram
#101 Posted : 08 August 2014 15:30:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Lovely job on the gun ports Paul and love the cartoon ThumpUp Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Ponty
#102 Posted : 08 August 2014 15:36:37

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Your Victory is looking really nice!
Building - DeAgostini HMS Victory, McLaren MP4-23, Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Lamborghini Countach
sparks
#103 Posted : 08 August 2014 22:46:19

Nice work on the gun ports Paul ThumpUp
Regarding the figures, nice btw, 15mm @ 1/100 scale only relates to just shy of 5ft, not 5ft 6in.
regards
Alan
England expects that every man will do his duty.
birdaj2
#104 Posted : 08 August 2014 22:48:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Paul

Modelling always has it's boring bits but they seem to be the things that can make or break a model.

Stick at those port linings because yours will be a "make" - it's turning out brilliant. Your going to have yourself a stunner of a model when complete.

Happy modelling

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#105 Posted : 08 August 2014 23:22:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She's look great Gibbo, you should be feeling proud of yourself.... keep posting.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#106 Posted : 09 August 2014 02:12:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

sparks wrote:
Regarding the figures, nice btw, 15mm @ 1/100 scale only relates to just shy of 5ft, not 5ft 6in.
regards
Alan

Looks like i got me a short-arse crew, think i need to change the scale calc on my phone.
Thanks Alan
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Gibbo
#107 Posted : 09 August 2014 02:30:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

birdaj2 wrote:
Paul

Modelling always has it's boring bits but they seem to be the things that can make or break a model.

Stick at those port linings because yours will be a "make" - it's turning out brilliant. Your going to have yourself a stunner of a model when complete.

Happy modelling

Tony

Hi Tony
Thanks very much i appreciate your comments and encouragement, i'm slowly learning to break away and do other things when the long fiddly bits come around.
Paul
Gibbo
#108 Posted : 09 August 2014 02:34:36

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Lovely job on the gun ports Paul and love the cartoon ThumpUp Rgd Martyn

Thank you Martyn, gave me a bit of a chuckle, do you think "Funnies" would go down well as a new topic ?
Gibbo
#109 Posted : 09 August 2014 02:39:49

Gandale wrote:
She's look great Gibbo, you should be feeling proud of yourself.... keep posting.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Yeah feeling quite chuffed thanks Alan, your comments are much appreciated.
Paul
Gibbo
#110 Posted : 09 August 2014 02:42:35

Ponty wrote:
Your Victory is looking really nice!

Thank you Ponty, you've just started building your Vic haven't you ?
sparks
#111 Posted : 10 August 2014 22:26:16

Gibbo wrote:
sparks wrote:
regards
Alan

Looks like i got me a short-arse crew, think i need to change the scale calc on my phone.
Thanks Alan
Paul

No prob Paul
I have used 15mm
They fit nicely down in the upper gun deck without bashing their heads on the skid beams BigGrin
Regards
Alan
England expects that every man will do his duty.
Gibbo
#112 Posted : 11 August 2014 12:44:49

sparks wrote:
Gibbo wrote:
sparks wrote:
regards
Alan

Thanks Alan
Paul

No prob Paul
I have used 15mm
They fit nicely down in the upper gun deck without bashing their heads on the skid beams BigGrin
Regards
Alan

Thanks Alan, i'm going to order a few more gun crews and i'm still waiting for some British Seamen to arrive to see what they are like.
Gibbo
#113 Posted : 31 January 2015 00:49:31

Evening all, haven't worked on the ol' girl for a while, i went on holiday travelling around Devon & Cornwall last September and coming from East Sussex stopped in Portsmouth on the way down to visit the Victory and get some inspiration, take some photos and to get a better idea of some of the deck elements to give my build more detail, i also got in touch with Robin ( Plymouth 57 ) and he very kindly invited myself and my wife to his house for tea and to take a closer look at his Victory and his Messines Diorama, Robin and his dear old mum made us feel very welcome, Robin's Victory and his Messines Diorama has so much fine detail it was truly amazing to see.
I started by giving the inside of the bulwarks more detail, i measured out the bulwarks and all the openings on a sheet of paper on a 1/1 scale of the model to recreate this,I cut and stuck hair pins onto the paperThen painted the paper yellow ochre and painted the hairpins black then stuck it onto the inner bulwarks, over the passage of time i have lost the belay pin racks and the cannonball racks so had to make some more, i ordered some 2mm ball bearings from the wonderful ebay and used some scrap decking for the housings, i cut and shaped the decking and using a ball point pen made some indents to sit the bearings on and then paintedThe other lumpy bits ( i dont know what they are called or what they do, i would appreciate it if somebody could enlighten me, the black and yellow bits ) are made and shaped from scrap, so this is how it looks so far.
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
Inner Bulwarks.jpg
DSCN0809.JPG
DSCN0814.JPG
DSCN0820.JPG
DSCN0821.JPG
Gandale
#114 Posted : 31 January 2015 00:59:18

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent work Gibbo, looks simply stunning.... Drool Drool .. Your trip to see the old girl certainly paid off I see, very well done.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#115 Posted : 31 January 2015 11:21:28

Gandale wrote:
Excellent work Gibbo, looks simply stunning.... Drool Drool .. Your trip to see the old girl certainly paid off I see, very well done.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

thanks Alan, i've been following your SOTS build and it looks amazing.

Plymouth57
#116 Posted : 31 January 2015 13:19:48

Hi again Paul, great to see you back again!BigGrin

Many thanks for the high praises, it was a pleasure to see you and your good lady and Mum says Hi as well!
Lovely job on the decorations, I was fortunate to be able to miss them out, following the Jotika design, it appears that those decorations may have been added after Victory's post Trafalgar refit (it saved me the work anyhow!)Blushing
Those 'lumpy bits', if you mean the platforms and posts are called, according to my ref books "Kevels" The actual Kevel is the chamfered square bit at the top and the flat bar with two kevels sticking out the top is called the "Staghorn". As far as I can see from the drawings they seem to be tieing off points for various parts of the running rigging. I'll know more when I (eventually) get to that part!Blink
(By the way, which way is your main stairway going down? I've got mine sloping from the stern forwards.)
Keep up the great work M8, you'll be overtaking me soon, dammit! where'd I leave that Spitfire?BigGrin

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gibbo
#117 Posted : 31 January 2015 18:13:41

The belay pin racks were made from scrap decking cut and shaped, then the holes drilled using my new toy, the belay pins were made with hairpins cut down and superglued into the racks.
DSCN0823.JPG
DSCN0825.JPG
DSCN0830.JPG
Gibbo
#118 Posted : 31 January 2015 18:17:58

Plymouth57 wrote:
Hi again Paul, great to see you back again!BigGrin

Many thanks for the high praises, it was a pleasure to see you and your good lady and Mum says Hi as well!
Lovely job on the decorations, I was fortunate to be able to miss them out, following the Jotika design, it appears that those decorations may have been added after Victory's post Trafalgar refit (it saved me the work anyhow!)Blushing
Those 'lumpy bits', if you mean the platforms and posts are called, according to my ref books "Kevels" The actual Kevel is the chamfered square bit at the top and the flat bar with two kevels sticking out the top is called the "Staghorn". As far as I can see from the drawings they seem to be tieing off points for various parts of the running rigging. I'll know more when I (eventually) get to that part!Blink
(By the way, which way is your main stairway going down? I've got mine sloping from the stern forwards.)
Keep up the great work M8, you'll be overtaking me soon, dammit! where'd I leave that Spitfire?BigGrin

Robin

Hi Robin
I see what you mean about the main stairway, i will try to get it off in one piece and see if i can turn it, thanks for pointing that out to me.
Cheers
Paul
Plymouth57
#119 Posted : 31 January 2015 21:54:27

Glad to be able to help Paul, I know what it's like to find out after the job is done that it needs to be done again - don't I Sparks!!BigGrin
If you have a look at post 400 on my diary, the photos of the drummer on the gun deck, look behind him and you'll see a set of extra tiny holes drilled in the deck - guess who originally stuck both his lower staircases in back to front!Crying LOL

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gibbo
#120 Posted : 08 February 2015 17:54:12

This week i have been working on some of the deck elements, i started with the belay pin racks, as you can see the supplied kit parts are made of cast metal and after a visit to the Victory in September they just weren't chunky enough, i started by using some 5mmX5mm mahogany sq for the posts and two lengths of 1.5mmX5mm glued together for the rails, pins were added to the base of the posts for attaching to the deck, holes were drilled for the belay pins and all was painted black.
Belay pin mast racks.JPG
Belay pin foremast racks.JPG
Belay pin main mast racks.JPG
Belay pin mizzen mast racks.JPG