Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

14 Pages «<45678>»
Greyhawks Lunch Break D51 (DONE!!!!) Options
darbyvet
#101 Posted : 22 August 2015 02:54:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

greyhawk wrote:
darbyvet wrote:
greyhawk wrote:
Due to the extension of the contest deadline, this diary is now entered into the Build of the Year 2015 contest. Vote for me and get a free hug.

OK now I cant give you any more tips since you are a competitorFlapper Flapper Flapper

I would shake my fists in fake anger, but I can't really as I just spent 3 hours drilling and filing the gun barrel of Hachettes Tiger Tank so it FINALLY fits together right and my arms hurt like a [word i can't use on these forums].

darbyvet wrote:
Just joking.I love reading your build.

As I do yours. Regarding your block, I'd try building something totally unrelated for a while, like bashing together a 5 dollar tank just for fun and giggles. That usually gets me out of a slump.

Cheers mate.I just built a lEGO Slave one and that has helped to get me excited about the Jupiter build

greyhawk
#102 Posted : 25 August 2015 13:50:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stage 12 - Supportive Action

Spaghetti with sea food, tomatoes and olives

We finish pack 3 with a short and easy one.

We get to install the smoke box support, another support brace and the brake supports.

All of these are easily screwed in place and the first two are used to establish the connection bitween the front frame and rest of the barrel frame.

It might make sense to epoxy the brake supports in place in addition to screwing them in as they are only held with one screw and have no further support against rotating out of place. I have not done so yet to minimize risk of messing up the frame with glue, but may do so if it turns out the brake supports rotate away.

Total parts count after pack 3: 62 parts, 74 fasteners
arpurchase
#103 Posted : 25 August 2015 16:35:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice progress, when I made my D51 I didnt glue that part and as more goes onto the frame there was no movement but its up to you when all the parts are on if you want to secure it with glue. Great workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#104 Posted : 25 August 2015 16:35:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice progress, when I made my D51 I didnt glue that part and as more goes onto the frame there was no movement but its up to you when all the parts are on if you want to secure it with glue. Great workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

darbyvet
#105 Posted : 25 August 2015 16:53:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I wouldn't glue those brake supports.it is helpful to have them loose as you fit the body and once the body is attached they don't really move around

greyhawk
#106 Posted : 25 August 2015 17:32:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

darbyvet wrote:
I wouldn't glue those brake supports.it is helpful to have them loose as you fit the body and once the body is attached they don't really move around

Perfect. I'll keep it like that then.

greyhawk
#107 Posted : 22 September 2015 13:13:47

Stage 13: O'zapft is!

Octoberfest style sandwich with pulled turkey, coleslaw lettuce and joghurt dip

Back from sick leave, back to building. In stage 13 we get front and rear cylinder plates and the rear cylinder cover.

Installation is straightforward, just glue on the cylinder covers then screw the cylinder plates to the smoke box support. The only stumbling block is differentiating between front and rear cylinder plate. A little F and R marking would go a long way. Might be something to keep in mind for the C-57.

It's good to be back.

Parts count: 66 parts, 82 fasteners
darbyvet
#108 Posted : 22 September 2015 15:06:47

Guten tag Greyhawk.Das ist ein sehr schoen Dampflokomotive!!!

That's all the german I can remember.Looking good Greyhawk.You really get to see how big this train is once you attach the cylinders to the frame.

Carl
greyhawk
#109 Posted : 22 September 2015 15:20:46

Yeah, she's getting fat LOL

My GF is like "What are you talking about this taking another 2 years? Looks like you're almost done with it. Just put the things on top, attach some wagons and you're good." I don't think she quite grasps the enormity of the project just yet and assumes the smokebox is the whole of the boiler.

Your German is pretty good, that was almost perfect. ThumpUp
davetwin
#110 Posted : 22 September 2015 15:39:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely work Greyhawk, also a very nice sounding lunch Drool Drool
greyhawk
#111 Posted : 22 September 2015 15:55:21

davetwin wrote:
Lovely work Greyhawk, also a very nice sounding lunch Drool Drool

I love how Germany is FINALLY discovering the deliciousness that is pulled [meats]. Took us long enough really.
davetwin
#112 Posted : 22 September 2015 16:02:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I spent 10 years growing up in Germany (was actually born in Hanover, I'm an army brat) and can confidently say Germany has their own delicious food BigGrin sauerkraut, Bratwurst, currywurst, frikadellan,schnitzel, kasler just to name a few Drool Drool
arpurchase
#113 Posted : 22 September 2015 18:48:40

BigGrin Looking goodCool

dnvrbronco
#114 Posted : 02 October 2015 22:50:46

Red Medal: Red Medal

Enjoying your build...I've just started. On Stage 9.
ON MY BENCH DeAgostini Millenium Falcon, DeAgostini Spitfire, 1:75 Woody JOE Horyuji Five-Storey Pagoda, HMS Victory

COMPLETE DeAgostini D51 Loco
greyhawk
#115 Posted : 05 October 2015 22:40:33

dnvrbronco wrote:
Enjoying your build...I've just started. On Stage 9.

You'll love it. I get more excited with every delivery. It's amazing how well she goes together.

Stages 14: Safety valves, motion bars, steam chest covers and valve tail guides

Went to a local country fair and had some hot grilled skewered flesh and a roll with crayfish

Unfortunately I forgot to take a before picture, but we get to add a lot of things to the outside of the cylinder front and back walls. We're getting our first taste of how complex the drive mechanism will be. One of the motion bars is a little bit skewed by design. I hope this doesn't interfere with anything otherwise I'll have to get out the coarse metal files.

Parts count: 74 parts, 84 fasteners
arpurchase
#116 Posted : 06 October 2015 09:34:35

BigGrin Nicely doneCool

greyhawk
#117 Posted : 13 October 2015 21:15:13

Stage 15 - Front cylinder covers, more safety valves and pistons

Got a bowl of sodium glutamate at a shopping centre, also waffles and cream

We get mor pistons and valves to outfit the cylinder walls. Not much to say, these go on nice and easy. Hold back on the epoxy. I used a little bit too much, you can see it glisten around the cylinder covers.

Parts count: 82 parts, 84 fasteners
davetwin
#118 Posted : 13 October 2015 22:44:38

Looking good Greyhawk, but what on earth is Sodium Glutamate? Confused Confused
arpurchase
#119 Posted : 13 October 2015 23:28:24

BigGrin Looking greatCool

Gandale
#120 Posted : 14 October 2015 00:42:07

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work, coming together very nicely....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan