Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<56789>»
Gibbo's DelPrado Victory Build Options
Gibbo
#121 Posted : 08 February 2015 18:28:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

This weekend i have worked on the rails either side of the belfry, measuring and marking out on masking tape where you want everything to go first and sticking this into position, using 3mmX3mm mahogany square i used a round file to get the profile of the bases, then with a sharp knife cut from the bottom of the semi circle lengthways with the grain of the wood down to 1.5mm and then cut the whole thing to length, these were then painted before being glued to the deck,next was attaching the rail, this is 1.5mmX5mm strake off cut,the caps were made from 3mmX3mm mahogany sq, the tops of the caps were filed down with a slight angle with a flat file and then the bases were cut square, next to the belfry the rounds (?) are 4mm dowel drilled out and cut in half and mounted on a small base, this needs to be filled and cleaned up, the belfry is not stuck down as yet as this needs to be primed and painted
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
Belfry Grates 1.JPG
Belfry Grates 2.JPG
Belfry Grates 3.JPG
Belfry Grates  Caps 1.JPG
Belfry Grates  Caps 2.JPG
Belfry Grates  Caps 3.JPG
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
stevie_o
#122 Posted : 08 February 2015 18:36:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gibbo
#123 Posted : 08 February 2015 19:08:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

stevie_o wrote:
Youre doing a great job on this, the Del Prado was never the best of kits but you are certainly getting stuck in making the improvements needed.

Steve

Thank you very much Steve, looking at yours and other people's builds on the forum really makes you want to improve and better your own modelling skills, now thinking about ripping off the forecastle and re-doing that properly.
Gandale
#124 Posted : 08 February 2015 22:58:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Gibbo, she's coming along really nicely, looking great....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#125 Posted : 09 February 2015 00:57:22

Gandale wrote:
Hi Gibbo, she's coming along really nicely, looking great....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, been enjoying getting back into the buildBigGrin
ian smith
#126 Posted : 09 February 2015 17:09:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gibbo.
Looking Superp.
Look forward to seeing more of your build IanCool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Gibbo
#127 Posted : 10 February 2015 00:22:15

ian smith wrote:
Hi Gibbo.
Looking Superp.
Look forward to seeing more of your build IanCool BigGrin

Thank you Ian for those kind words, slowly getting used to working in miniature.
Regards
Paul
Gibbo
#128 Posted : 10 February 2015 00:42:03

After offering up the bow decorations on the stem post it became apparent that the stem post was just too narrow to fit everything onto it, so i glued two layers of planking onto it to give me more room to play with, this will need some filling and sanding, but i think it's now where it should be for the supplied metal parts, next up was the knees, these were made with 3mmX3mm mahogany sq, not overly happy with the centre uprights so may well take those off and re-do them.
DSCN0867.JPG
DSCN0878.JPG
Gibbo
#129 Posted : 10 February 2015 00:57:48

It was my birthday in December and my two lovely daughters bought me my very own piece of history, some HMS Victory oak, it is 40mm X 30mm X 20mm, my intention is to cut the face off and use this as the nameplate for whatever stand or case this ship is going to go into and incorporate the rest somewhere in the build, i'm thinking flag lockers, but how ? or/and elsewhere ? any suggestions would be very welcome, especially on the how, bearing in mind i have a Proxxon Drill and stand and everything else is hand tools.
DSCN0877.JPG
ian smith
#130 Posted : 20 February 2015 14:56:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Paul.
A few suggestions for your victory wood.
Belfry legs, or maybe some pin rails.
Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Gibbo
#131 Posted : 20 February 2015 19:00:14

ian smith wrote:
Hi Paul.
A few suggestions for your victory wood.
Belfry legs, or maybe some pin rails.
Ian

Hi Ian
Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming, all very much appreciated and thanks for looking in.
Regards
Paul
Gandale
#132 Posted : 21 February 2015 22:49:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

What a great gift Paul, I'd be tempted to use some of it as a display piece within the ships final display case rather the cut it up.... Certificate of authenticity could be displayed also....Cool Cool .. Build is certainly coming along and looking great... well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#133 Posted : 21 February 2015 23:33:15

Gandale wrote:
What a great gift Paul, I'd be tempted to use some of it as a display piece within the ships final display case rather the cut it up.... Certificate of authenticity could be displayed also....Cool Cool .. Build is certainly coming along and looking great... well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan
That's what i intend to do, i plan to keep the front with " Victory" on it at around 5mm thick and use that as the plaque for the display case, and the rest i'm thinking flag lockers and/or building the knightshead from it, just bought a secondhand Proxxon mini bench saw off ebay for fifty quid so that should make my building life a little easier, all suggestions very welcome.ThumpUp
Cheers
Paul
Gibbo
#134 Posted : 23 February 2015 18:46:06

This weekend i have been working on the bow, the stem post on this model was just to narrow for the supplied metal kit parts, nothing is the right shape, nothing fits so it's got to be scratch built, first up was to widen the stem post so that the supplied metal decoration will fit inbetween the two rails, the bottom rail is part of the CMB bow kit for a 1:98 Victory.
DSCN0892.JPG
Gibbo
#135 Posted : 23 February 2015 19:02:48

(pic 1)The supports i bought as part of the 1:98 bow kit from CMB do not fit as this is a 1:100 model, thinking i could adjust everything but no matter what i did chopping bits off here and there it just wouldn't go, so it was a case of use the metal parts supplied and a lot of scratch building, (pic 2)supports were built from 2mm ply to support the marines walk and veneer used on both sides to thicken it up to fit in the slots of the kits marine walk, so i now have to try and fit this lot in and make it look good.
DSCN0889.JPG
DSCN0887.JPG
Gibbo
#136 Posted : 23 February 2015 22:56:25

This is where we're at so far with re-constructing the marine walk supports, the basics are in and nothing glued, still lots of shaping and contouring to go yet, thats for another day now it's time for a cold one, cheers.[img]
DSCN0894.JPG
DSCN0900.JPG
DSCN0902.JPG
stevie_o
#137 Posted : 24 February 2015 00:40:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gibbo
#138 Posted : 02 March 2015 18:43:03

The hammock crane support rail for the waist area were made form cocktail sticks and fishing beads, these replaced the big clumpy ones that i had made before.
File Attachment(s):
DSCN0912.JPG (332kb) downloaded 43 time(s).
DSCN0912.JPG (332kb) downloaded 38 time(s).
DSCN0909.JPG
DSCN0914.JPG
DSCN0918.JPG
sparks
#139 Posted : 02 March 2015 21:21:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Paul,
You're doing some great work there ThumpUp very inventive, keep it up.
Hope you don't mind if I mention the colour of your roundhouses at the bow, it may be the light but they look a very light blue. They would have been painted French Blue which is quite a bit darker.
Just a heads up really, to give you a chance to change it if you want to while its still easily accessible.
Regards
Alan
England expects that every man will do his duty.
stevie_o
#140 Posted : 02 March 2015 21:31:29