Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages «<56789>»
Admirals HMS Sovereign of the seas adventure Options
Admiral Anti Spiral
#121 Posted : 18 January 2013 22:47:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Plymouth57 wrote:
Hi Admiral!
She's coming on really well there! I had a lot of splitting at first with my DelPrado hull planks, mainly due to the quality of the wood I think, I always prefer to drill the planks where the nails will be driven in using a drill bit just a little smaller than the nail, if you're using 0.5mm nails, a bit of about .4 or .3mm would do it and should avoid most of the splitting.

Keep up the great work!Cool

Robin

Thanks robin! i built that same ship and i agree the wood wasn't that great, i would of done alot of things differently with the knowledge i've gained hereBigGrin i have no trouble with the brass nails but ofcourse i guess it depends on the size nail you're using for the size drill you make :)
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
Admiral Anti Spiral
#122 Posted : 18 January 2013 22:50:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Gandale wrote:
Progressing well Admiral, won't be too long now before you have covered the complete hull.... I haven't had too much of a problem with splitting planks, mainly due to pre-drilling .5mm holes..... Well done.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan! hopefully it wont be long to finish the hull! only time i had problems with splitting was probably just because the drill hole i was making was meant for the smaller brass nails than the nails provided, but i prefer the brass nails so incase i cant get them out or they break i can easily sand them down Smile
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#123 Posted : 29 January 2013 12:32:14

Small update, i probably wont be getting the issue 22 this for the cannons tomorrow, seems kind of pointless just to get two cannons at this stage in the build seeing as its probably better to do all the cannons in one go, so i'll pick it up with issue 23 and putting it together when i have the rest.

In the mean time i've finished the bow planking with spare strips left over, i never followed the build directions on planking fully because Personally i dont think it makes much of a difference depending on how you do it ofcourse, i've seen various builds where they dont even taper the ends, but im happy with the result, there are big spots of filler but thats simply because some parts didn't look smooth, doesn't look smooth now but i assure you it is very smooth and in the end it will just be covered. should have the bottom hull completed within 3-4 issues, and the planking to cover the decks looks pretty straight forward.

Ive also created a simple base for the ship when the keel

I may add more supports for the front of the ship but the rear ones hold it pretty steady, in the end i may just add a metal strip to hold the boat in place as shown on a NMM model of SOS.

Thats all for now, probably not another update until the hull is complete, till then i will enjoy looking at all your builds BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Plymouth57
#124 Posted : 29 January 2013 18:09:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely job of planking Admiral and that base is simplicity itself! Cool
Is that an ever useful length of wooden floor laminate? I've used them myself for loads of 'other' jobs too!BigGrin

Well done!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gandale
#125 Posted : 29 January 2013 22:16:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work Admiral.... don't think it really matters too much how you plank the hull unless of course it is single planked and you intend having a natural finish.... With this one we have the final skin to apply so (apart from the cannons....LOL ).... Think like you I am going to do the cannons on mass.... Keep up the great work......

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#126 Posted : 08 February 2013 19:39:08

i seem to have come across a really annoying problem at this stage in the build.

As ive just/almost finished planking one side of the hull particularly where the switch is, the switch for some random reason no longer works, ive been able to get the switch out after something which felt like undertaking heart surgery, i was planning to dill a whole in the side of the keel to get at the switch, but i manage to lift 4 planks up and push the switch out with a screwdriver which is a much better result wanted as the planks can simply be glued back into place.

But i will be needing a new switch..Sad

Other than that im happy with the outcome of finishing one side of the hull, more pictures when i've completed the otherside.
Processing - Progressing

Gandale
#127 Posted : 09 February 2013 00:13:28

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice Admiral, think you have done a great job there.. Sorry to hear about your switch problem, really hope you get it resolved soon.... Why is it, something always fails just when you think the job is done..... the joys of model making I suppose.....Mellow . Keep up the great work you are doing...

Regards

Alan
court orchard
#128 Posted : 09 February 2013 00:27:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sorry to hear about your troubles AAS.
In a much earlier discussion, I suggested fiber optics as a potential solution to lighting ships as you would have no parts to fail as they unfortunately do.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Admiral Anti Spiral
#129 Posted : 09 February 2013 18:28:43

court orchard wrote:
Sorry to hear about your troubles AAS.
In a much earlier discussion, I suggested fiber optics as a potential solution to lighting ships as you would have no parts to fail as they unfortunately do.

Ive tested the leds and they all work, it was just the switch that for some reason stopped working, if i was the use fiber optics i probably would of used a switch aswell, but i think i can buy another of the same switch.
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#130 Posted : 09 February 2013 18:30:14

Gandale wrote:
Very nice Admiral, think you have done a great job there.. Sorry to hear about your switch problem, really hope you get it resolved soon.... Why is it, something always fails just when you think the job is done..... the joys of model making I suppose.....Mellow . Keep up the great work you are doing...

Regards

Alan

ahah yeah i suppose its the ways of learning and experience, many thanks alan :)
Processing - Progressing

Plymouth57
#131 Posted : 09 February 2013 23:19:01

Hi Admiral.

Yeah its a rotten trick when those damned things fail! In the couple of sci-fi kits that I put lighting into (Klingon D7 was one of them!)BigGrin I always incorporated the batteries and the switch into the base so the switch and connections would be easy to work on if they failed.
I was just wondering, have you had any superglue used near the switch after you fitted it in? Sometimes the fumes from superglue can enter the switch body and coat the metal contacts, its only a very thin layer but sometimes just enough to prevent an electrical connection!. It may be just a defective switch but you never know.

Happy Repairing!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Admiral Anti Spiral
#132 Posted : 17 February 2013 17:43:51

Plymouth57 wrote:
Hi Admiral.

Yeah its a rotten trick when those damned things fail! In the couple of sci-fi kits that I put lighting into (Klingon D7 was one of them!)BigGrin I always incorporated the batteries and the switch into the base so the switch and connections would be easy to work on if they failed.
I was just wondering, have you had any superglue used near the switch after you fitted it in? Sometimes the fumes from superglue can enter the switch body and coat the metal contacts, its only a very thin layer but sometimes just enough to prevent an electrical connection!. It may be just a defective switch but you never know.

Happy Repairing!

Robin

Hi Robin, nope i haven't used super glue in a long time, though i was sanding down the area around the switch, though the switch may of stopped working before i started sanding down, hard to tell but im going to be ordering some new switches pretty much the same as the old one, maybe a bit bigger.
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#133 Posted : 21 February 2013 16:33:34

Just putting this in its right place (Mistakenly made a new thread)

Now working my way up, updates soon.
Processing - Progressing

delboy271155
#134 Posted : 21 February 2013 16:44:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

WTG AdmiralDrool
Having now stock piled hull planking, I`m about to start my planking tomorrow and Here`s hoping it comes out as good as that.
By the way, how`s the electronics coming on?, I`ve just started the Victory build and will be looking to make it lit up. My Sots build is in the basic fashion as a first ever build.

Regards
Delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Admiral Anti Spiral
#135 Posted : 21 February 2013 20:44:57

delboy271155 wrote:
WTG AdmiralDrool
Having now stock piled hull planking, I`m about to start my planking tomorrow and Here`s hoping it comes out as good as that.
By the way, how`s the electronics coming on?, I`ve just started the Victory build and will be looking to make it lit up. My Sots build is in the basic fashion as a first ever build.

Regards
Delboy271155
(Derek)

Hey Derek, sounds great cant wait to see the results ^^
The electronics is fairly fine, could be more tidy but this is my first time doing LED lighting, i still need to add one more LED for the small light box thing at the back of the ship, and maybe two more for the 3rd deck at the front and middle of the ship. Just ordered a new switch so should work out fine :)
Processing - Progressing

Gandale
#136 Posted : 21 February 2013 22:21:08

Very well done Admiral, nice to see her hull fully planked and sanded down... looks great....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#137 Posted : 02 March 2013 15:41:40

seems im almost on my way to finishing the complete hull and moving on to covering the ship with the other wood
Here i will be waiting for a while for a sanding block so i can get into the curved areas, and the switch which i will be needing to place back in.

And with that i'll be waiting a while to catch up with the magazine even though im a couple issues ahead in build.
Wont be finish the other side yet because i'll be thinking about adding two more leds for the upper decks and it would be more practical to leave space to solder and wire, though im not sure where to put them yet.
Processing - Progressing

der Gohfelder
#138 Posted : 02 March 2013 15:46:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well done, you make a very good job! I hope to see the progress!

Regards, Bernd
Gandale
#139 Posted : 02 March 2013 19:17:01

So we finally get to see how she looks fully planked.... Super job Admiral, looking forward to seeing her progress and especially on your lighting project..... Well done m8.... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#140 Posted : 03 March 2013 12:39:38

der Gohfelder wrote:
Well done, you make a very good job! I hope to see the progress!

Regards, Bernd

Thank you Bernd!
Processing - Progressing