Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

14 Pages «<678910>»
Greyhawks Lunch Break D51 (DONE!!!!) Options
alemo
#141 Posted : 25 November 2015 18:04:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Coming along nicely, next stages not too complex, just follow the sequence that you are given. Start to build up your muscles because it's gonna get heavy but interesting also.

Alec
Built: Bluenose, Arab Dhow, HMS Bounty, Hummer H1, D51, Spitfire,E type Jaguar.
In Progress: HMS Victory, , Yamaha YZR-M1

Adapt, improvise, overcome.
greyhawk
#142 Posted : 25 November 2015 18:19:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

alemo wrote:
Start to build up your muscles because it's gonna get heavy but interesting also.

I'm good, I've been moderating a weight lifting and bodybuilding forum for 10 years, so I know a thing or two about picking up things and putting them down. LOL
Gandale
#143 Posted : 25 November 2015 21:18:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She's looking fab, some very nice work being shown.... Well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#144 Posted : 25 November 2015 22:36:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looks greatCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

delboy271155
#145 Posted : 26 November 2015 08:04:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

HI Greyhawk, BigGrin

Your efforts are moving this build further up my wish - list every time I look in.

Keep up the great work.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

greyhawk
#146 Posted : 01 December 2015 15:24:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stage 22/23 - Hanging in there

Spaghetti con Cozze - first time in the 22 years I've been here the company canteen offers blue mussels in their shell - also I seemed to have been the only one brave enough to try this out. Or they were worried about messing up their hands in which case I have to ask: who among us is building a full metal steam engine afterwards? Show of hands? I thought so.

In Stage 22 and 23 we build the suspension. We get two almost identical packs like the one pictured above (lost the stage 22 picture), so I'm merging these updates.

When putting together the springs take extra care to not confuse yourself, most of the springs differ from each other. I had to take one apart three times at one point, because I wasn't really looking at what I'm doing and put one together wrong again and again. Get a good strong coffee beforehand and shut out any distractions.

Also when fixing the springs to the frame try to lay out the parts (especially the bushings) in a way you cannot confuse one for the other. A lot of the parts look similar but aren't really.

Detail shot of the front springs

The complete suspension

Parts count: Let me get back to you on that. I need to find a calculator capable of handling these numbers. Here we go: 149 parts, 326 fasteners. Yeah, that'a a lot.
arpurchase
#147 Posted : 01 December 2015 20:06:19

BigGrin Nicely done the hanging ones at the back do eventually get fixed in place towards the end of the buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

greyhawk
#148 Posted : 01 December 2015 20:17:03

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Nicely done the hanging ones at the back do eventually get fixed in place towards the end of the buildCool

Already had real life comment on those "Are those broken?" LOL
greyhawk
#149 Posted : 11 December 2015 15:54:07

Stage 24 - Keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin'

Grilled Chicken breast with peas and rice

So we finally get this girl up on her feet. We receive the second set of wheels and the necessary equipment to install them. We also for the first time receive parts we will not be using yet in this stage, so this makes parts counting slightly more difficult. I'm gonna keep counting only what actually went into the build already.

"Nice shoes, wanna .... coffee or possibly a dinner date? Watch a movie?"

Parts counter: 162 parts, 338 fasteners
darbyvet
#150 Posted : 11 December 2015 17:05:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great.It is getting pretty heavy now and you can see just how big this train will be.
greyhawk
#151 Posted : 04 January 2016 13:53:14

Finally back at work, and with work I mean working on my steam train.

Phase 25: The third wheels set

Swiss style "rösti" (think hash browns but pan-sized) with gravy and mushrooms and an orange

We receive the third wheel set and plonk it in. There's really nothing much more to say about this very straightforward phase.

Parts count: 169 parts, 344 fasteners

Expect the next phases to be coming in hard and fast. It's still very very quiet here and I expect it will remain so for the week.
greyhawk
#152 Posted : 11 January 2016 13:06:03

Phase 26 - Like a fourth wheel on a tricycle

Turkey breast with rice and snap pea pods

So much for hard and fast. It's incredibly annoying that some people apparently want me to actually do stuff at work. I need to find a way to stop that.

We receive the fourth wheel set and man did I have a lot of trouble with it. The fourth wheel set steadfastly refused to reach the ground and the suspension gave no leeway at all. This in turn led to the coupling rods not coupling correctly.

Took me half an hour to find the problem. Turns out when installing the third wheel set the axle holders went a liiiiittle bit misaligned which in turn gridlocked the entire assembly. Pulled the third wheel set out again, reinstalled, everything good with the world.

Parts count: 180 parts, 372 fasteners

michu
#153 Posted : 11 January 2016 13:15:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely work and this reminds me to take care of mine - I'm like, 6 months behind and starting to be short on storage space...
Are you planning to paint it all or leave shiny? I haven't decided on mine yet...
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
birdaj2
#154 Posted : 11 January 2016 13:26:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Its a treat to see another one taking shape.

Just starting on the tender myself and thatvreally brings it home as to how large this kit is. A real enjoyment to build.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
greyhawk
#155 Posted : 11 January 2016 13:48:15

michu wrote:
Lovely work and this reminds me to take care of mine - I'm like, 6 months behind and starting to be short on storage space...
Are you planning to paint it all or leave shiny? I haven't decided on mine yet...

This one is going to stay bare metal. I'm not going to build a shiny brass full metal steam engine and then hide all this unique beauty behind GenericPaintSchemeB12.

The other steam engine I'm building is wood and brass and that one is going to be painted, because quite frankly it desperately needs it to look good.
michu
#156 Posted : 11 January 2016 14:43:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I can't decide. Mine will either stay all shiny, or I will paint it and weather like it was in heavy use.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
greyhawk
#157 Posted : 11 January 2016 15:23:35

Me, personally, if I were to weather it, I'd do it with a plastic kit, there's some nice 1/50 models out from Arii for the D51 and her sisters.
greyhawk
#158 Posted : 25 January 2016 12:45:45

Sooooo, here's the thing.

I'm running so many build diaries I'm running out of time to properly write up all of them. The worst offender here is the D51 where there is now a desynch between actual build and the diary of about 6 weeks. Which is why I'm going to have to fast forward a little bit and switch this over to a per-delivery format. Which also means the lunch report has to go, which will be sorely missed by all of us I'm sure.

Phase 32 (yup)

As you can see I'm quite a bit ahead. All of the work on the wheels and couplings is finished, the smoke box door details have been added and the boiler proper was extended.

The wheels took me quite a while to set up properly so the gears wouldn't wibble wobble all around. I think I spent about 3 hours total checking and rechecking connections, trying out different angles and suspension settings to (mostly) eliminate any wobbling or sudden jumps.

The smoke box door lock tends to disengage itself at times, the handlebar that controls the tightness of the lock mechanism moves too easily by itself, when the model is picked up. I'm looking into way to make the lock more secure while still being openable. Or I should just stop picking the model up all the time.

I'm amazed at how perfectly the boiler fits. This is quality workmanship on DeAgostinis part.

Parts counter: Update incoming.
birdaj2
#159 Posted : 25 January 2016 12:57:05

Was enjoying your lunch report as well but as you say time is always the problem.

06/01 i was emailed that the next parts were shipping but nothingvreceived so far so hoping they have not gone astray in the post.

Look forward to seeing how you are progressing in your next update
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
darbyvet
#160 Posted : 25 January 2016 15:22:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great now.I have to ask have you run it around your desk going chuff chuff yet? Just like when you build a sci-fi ship you have to fly it around going pew pew pew when you build a train and it starts looking like a train you have to run it around on your desk and make train noises.The great thing about this kit is once it is finished it makes the noises for you.

Carl