Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<7891011>»
Gibbo's DelPrado Victory Build Options
Gibbo
#161 Posted : 18 March 2015 01:14:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin You forgot about all the 'mind your head' signs BigGrin Blink Cool

Yep, we all seem to be a lot taller now, this ship wouldn't get built today because of all the elf and safety, mind you the elves would be ok.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Gibbo
#162 Posted : 26 February 2017 01:58:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Well it's been a while since i worked on this little baby, been procrastinating a bit, contemplating a bit, mainly procrastinating, but i decided to take the plunge and rebuild the forecastle, so i hacked off the one i had hastily and wrongly built, for anybody wanting to do this to any of their models let the blade do the work, just go backwards and forwards and don't push it to hard, the trick is to keep the blade at the right angle, the original plans for this particular model are rubbish so i am using DeAg instructions and scaling it down to fit, with a bit of working out and luck it should look somewhere close to what it should be.
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
SAM 01.JPG
SAM 02.JPG
SAM 03.JPG
SAM 04.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#163 Posted : 26 February 2017 09:48:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Wow you are a very brave man Gibbo but well done on the results she should look a lot better with a new forecastle Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#164 Posted : 26 February 2017 11:35:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Brave piece of work Gibbo but if you're not happy with things as you go along then its best to change them, otherwise they'll just annoy you more and more every time you look at it. Look forward to seeing how your mods work out....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#165 Posted : 27 February 2017 12:20:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Paul.
Brave move. but if our not happy with it its got to be done.
Look forward to seeing your revamped update. Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Garth
#166 Posted : 13 March 2017 15:56:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Paul,
Good luck with the rebuild. Looking forward to seeing your solution.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Gibbo
#167 Posted : 03 January 2018 22:42:25

Well after nine months i'm back on the old girl, after chopping off the forecastle i sanded down and lined it with veneer strips and did a bit of filling here and there to give me a nice clean finish to start work on, using some 3mm X 3mm i created the posts and kevels, for the gunports i tried drilling some dowel but that just kept snapping and breaking the wood, so after scouring the house looking for something i could use i came across some cable clips in the loft, these were easy enough to chop down with a sharp knife, so after two days playing i realise there's probably not enough posts and the spacing's slightly off but i think it gives the sense of it, and it's a hell of a lot better than what was there before.
Forecastle 2.JPG
Forecastle 3.JPG
Forecastle 4.JPG
Forecastle 5.JPG
Forecastle 6.JPG
Forecastle 7.JPG
Forecastle 8.JPG
birdaj2
#168 Posted : 03 January 2018 22:53:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now that is a neat idea with the cable cleat.

Sure you will get your desired end result soon.

Looking very good so far.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Plymouth57
#169 Posted : 03 January 2018 23:30:29

Great to see you back on her again Paul!Cool Believe it or not I've actually started on my 'Old Girl' again, must be nearly two years! With the dioramas and then the Pups I just didn't have the time needed. Lovely bit of re-modelling on the forecastle though, it does make a huge difference.
Must get my update put up soon too!Blushing

Best Wishes

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gibbo
#170 Posted : 04 January 2018 00:10:46

Thank you Tony, thank you Robin, looking forward to seeing your updates on "The Old Girl" Robin.
Gandale
#171 Posted : 04 January 2018 10:32:22

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you back working on this build, your work is producing some beautiful results....Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing more progress.....

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#172 Posted : 04 January 2018 21:51:07

Thank you for those kind words Alan, it's always a pleasure to hear from you, tonight i have painted the forecastle and am very happy with it.
FF1.JPG
FF2.JPG
FF3.JPG
FF4.JPG
Gandale
#173 Posted : 04 January 2018 22:54:13

Another very nice update, all looking good....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#174 Posted : 04 January 2018 23:26:55

Sorry about the deleted messages, rookie mistake on the file attachments
A couple of years ago i was scouring the net and came across this site, http://www.dafinismus.de/plates_en.html
I purchased several plates of photo etch which was designed for the Heller HMS Victory 1/100 scale, now i have the etch and the photo etch bending tool, but not the knowledge, as it is not something i have worked with before, around that time i saw a very good thread on here explaining the preparation and use of photo etch techniques and i think it might have been Jase that posted it (i could well be wrong) but i'm beggared if i can find it, can anyone point me in the right direction ?
Thanks
Paul
File Attachment(s):
Etch 1.JPG (299kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
Etch 2.JPG (279kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
Etch 3.JPG (511kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
Etch 4.JPG (278kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Etch 5.JPG (296kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
Plymouth57
#175 Posted : 04 January 2018 23:43:50

Hi Paul.

I couldn't locate that article either but I did find this tutorial on Youtube which might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKqukvfjkSQ

(I wish I'd known of those PE parts before I started scratch building everything!)Crying BigGrin

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gibbo
#176 Posted : 05 January 2018 00:11:30

Plymouth57 wrote:
Hi Paul.

I couldn't locate that article either but I did find this tutorial on Youtube which might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKqukvfjkSQ

(I wish I'd known of those PE parts before I started scratch building everything!)Crying BigGrin

Robin.

Thanks for that Robin, much appreciated, i dont know how long these PE parts have been around, probably long after we first started building this kit, i have noticed the PE hammock rail on the poop deck is 74mm and the width of the poop deck i have is 87mm leaving 6.5mm either side so that will have to be cut down to around 64mm otherwise poor ol' Nelson's gonna be banging his head every time he walks up the stairs.
ian smith
#177 Posted : 05 January 2018 15:31:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Paul.
Nice to see your back doing your build.
Looking really good.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Gibbo
#178 Posted : 05 January 2018 15:42:21

ian smith wrote:
Hi Paul.
Nice to see your back doing your build.
Looking really good.
Ian Cool BigGrin

Thanks Ian, good to be back on her, we will have to get together for a beer again soon mate.
Gibbo
#179 Posted : 07 January 2018 04:03:41

Evening all
Tonight was all about looking forward on this build and adjusting things and hacking more bits off (i seem to be doing a lot of of that lately) and trying to turn it into a proper ship that would work if it were on the high seas, after revisiting Sparky's build of his Del Prado Victory i realised that the chainwales were to narrow to pass over the hammock frames that i intended to put on, (the Del Prado version didn't have hammock frames, didn't have a lot of things really) i set up a hammock frame on the poop deck and realised the deadeyes and ratlines in the chainwales supplied would not pass over them cleanly so i chopped off all chainwales to remake make them wider at a later stage, i was really careful taking them off with a craft knife but some of the Victory's mouldings got a bit mashed along the way but that shouldn't be to much of a problem as i rebuild them, and most of it will be covered under the new chainwales so wont be too visible to the naked eye, also i sanded the gunwhales so that they were horizontal instead of at an angle so the hammock frames would sit upright instead of leaning towards the deck, i will be hacking more bits off soon.
DSC_1532.JPG
DSC_1534.JPG
DSC_1540.JPG
DSC_1541.JPG
DSC_1545.JPG
Gandale
#180 Posted : 07 January 2018 10:12:51

Looking good Gibbo and I look forward to seeing how all the changes you're making turn out. Will be watching....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan